Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My first PC build - opinions and advice appreciated! Watch

• Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilLilly)
    So the fans on PSU and GPU will be enough?

Oh really, do you think it would be worth paying the little bit extra for the Asus H110-PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard so I can get the most out of my RAM?

I think I will go with the 470 and an SSD, because I can't see that I'll want to play modern games on it because I just got a PS4 pro for Christmas.

Thanks very much for your help
    Yes. I am running a considerably beefier system on the stock fan (though I do have a well ventilated case).

It's not going to matter really.

I don't think you will be able to fit a HDD, SSD and 470 into your budget. If you don't download things you could possibly just forego the HDD altogether and get a 500GB SSD, assuming you can find a decent offer.

No worries. It's confusing building your first PC because everyone tells you something different :lol:

Feel free to post whatever new list you come up with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Yes. I am running a considerably beefier system on the stock fan (though I do have a well ventilated case).

It's not going to matter really.

I don't think you will be able to fit a HDD, SSD and 470 into your budget. If you don't download things you could possibly just forego the HDD altogether and get a 500GB SSD, assuming you can find a decent offer.

No worries. It's confusing building your first PC because everyone tells you something different :lol:

Feel free to post whatever new list you come up with.
    The Asus H110-PLUS ATX LGA1151 wouldn't down-regulate my RAM though, right? (inefficiencies and redundancies kind of annoy me in principal )

I wasn't going to get the SSD and the HDD, it's one or the other. I was thinking if I got a 250gb SSD to begin with I could install my OS on there and add a HDD at a later date if and when storage becomes an issue.

It is a bit confusing, but people have been very helpful.

And thank you, I will do in due course
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The Asus H110-PLUS ATX LGA1151 wouldn't down-regulate my RAM though, right? (inefficiencies and redundancies kind of annoy me in principal )

I wasn't going to get the SSD and the HDD, it's one or the other. I was thinking if I got a 250gb SSD to begin with I could install my OS on there and add a HDD at a later date if and when storage becomes an issue.

It is a bit confusing, but people have been very helpful.

And thank you, I will do in due course
    Off the top of my head I think that motherboard is 2133, but you really don't need to worry. Honestly, having slightly better RAM makes sense for the future and they cost essentially the same amount. I am about as far away from an expert as you can be, though.

Yes, that sounds fine. I have loads of games, all of my files and quite a number of programs installed and have not even used half of my space - hence not bothering to install my old HDD.

ReputationRep:
    Off the top of my head I think that motherboard is 2133, but you really don't need to worry. Honestly, having slightly better RAM makes sense for the future and they cost essentially the same amount. I am about as far away from an expert as you can be, though.

Yes, that sounds fine. I have loads of games, all of my files and quite a number of programs installed and have not even used half of my space - hence not bothering to install my old HDD.
    I think have to find another motherboard, though it might not make any practical difference, the thought would still drive me crazy :giggle:

I'm settled on the GPU and SSD/HDD front though at least.

ReputationRep:
    Off the top of my head I think that motherboard is 2133, but you really don't need to worry.
    You would be correct, the Gigabyte H110 Plus is limited to running RAM at 2133MHz. The 2400MHz Vengeance the OP wants to use will be forced to run at the lower speed. The 2400MHz version will cost about £3 more but in this scenario won't make a difference to performance.

I think have to find another motherboard, though it might not make any practical difference, the thought would still drive me crazy :giggle:
    Personally I wouldn't bother finding a new motherboard. If buying RAM clocked at 2400MHz but running it at 2133MHz bothers you that much then just buy the 2133MHz version. The hassle of trying to find another cheap mobo in the right form factor, that also supports high speed RAM is not worth it for what will effectively give you identical performance. The difference between 2133MHz and 2400MHz, especially in your scenario is not going to make the slightest piece of difference. So save yourself £3 and just buy the slightly lower clock rate version.

In fact to my knowledge the H110 series rarely, if ever support higher clock rates. The highest I've ever seen a H110 board offer is 2133MHz. Higher RAM speeds are an enthusiast thing, not a general consumer feature. If you really wanted higher clock rates you'd be looking at a more expensive board and definitely not something in the H110 category. This may then require to rethink the build and it really isn't worth it

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the build from the original post. Lots of potential things you could change but it's definitely the sort of thing you'd want to consider for a new build.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

After months of saving I finally have enough money to begin my first ever computer build. I've done my research, and drawn up a draft parts list but I'm a bit wary of jumping straight into ordering parts in case I've got something wrong. I would therefore be very grateful for any opinions and advice relating to my proposed parts, particularly any potential compatibility issues. M5y budget is quite tight at around £500, but I only need it to be powerful enough for web searching, 1080p video streaming and some retro gaming (including games like The Witcher anElder Scrolls Morrowind).

Anyway, without further ado, here's is my draft parts list:

Gigabyte H110M-S2H Micro ATX Motherboard

Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB Mini Graphics Card

Intel Core i3 6100 Skylake Dual-Core 3.7

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive

Aerocool Integrator 500W 12cm Power Supply Unit

Cooler Master Hyper TX3i CPU Cooler

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz RAM

Netgear RangeMax WPN511 Wireless PC Card

Aerocool V3 X Advance

Thanks for your help!
    Follow LinusTechTips on YouTube, he does this stuff well. What I would do is, get an i5 processor, instead of i3, it doesn't have have beefier specs than i5 bro, definitely a recent one, make sure it got at least 3mb cache. A 500GB Samsung ssd. Linkeys Internet Router. And finally a good gaming gears, all that logitech good stuff. 500 quids is very decent to start with, all the best. Tell us how it goes, I am planning too to build mine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.