Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm currently looking to apply to study at Central Saint Martins on their foundation course called Foundation Diploma in Art and Design.

The predicament I'm in is that I'm 20 years old and I've already completed my A-Levels so it won't be free for me to do. I just checked the funding options for this course and I was shocked to see that the normal student loan given for degrees does not cover this so now I'm starting to panic. I have seen on the university's website (http://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/s...ation-funding/) that the only options available for funding the further education course are scholarships/bursaries or this Advanced Learner Loan.

It seems as though I am eligible for the loan and meet all of the criteria (albeit there doesn't seem to be much criteria (https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility), it is very loose and seems like anyone who is British can apply, which is great, but that leaves me skeptical about how they actually allocate it, is there competition for it? Do they select certain people like a scholarship? Or, like the normal student loan, do they give it to everyone who meets the criteria? Also, will it cover the whole cost of the foundation tuition fee which is £5290 tuition fees, plus £130 registration fee, or again is it relative?

Sorry for this, I am just really panicking at the idea that I will not be able to fund this. Thanks to anyone that reads and offers any advice/info.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    No, it isn't a scholarship. Anyone who is eligible can get one, there is no competition. The loan will cover the full cost of tuition fees, but you may have to pay the registration fee yourself - ask the college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    No, it isn't a scholarship. Anyone who is eligible can get one, there is no competition. The loan will cover the full cost of tuition fees, but you may have to pay the registration fee yourself - ask the college.
    Thank you so much, the panic is over!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.