Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How University Ranking Positions have changed over a 20-year period Watch

ReputationRep:
    Comparing The Sunday Times' 10-year (1998-2007) average ranking of universities against the Complete University Guide's 10-year (2008-2017) average ranking shows that some universities have seen massive changes.

Biggest Gainers
    1. University of Kent (up 16 places from an average of 48th to 32nd)
    2. University of Surrey (up 15 places from an average of 35th to =20th)
    3. Aston University (up 14 places from an average of 37th to =23rd)
    4. University of Exeter (up 13 places from an average of =26th to 13th)
    =5. Lancaster University (up 10 places from an average of =19th to 9th)
    =5. Heriot-Watt University (up 10 places from an average of 49th to 39th)

Biggest Fallers
    1. University of Manchester (down 14 places from an average of 17th to 31st)
    =2. Cardiff University (down 10 places from an average of 24th to =34th)
    =2. University of Sheffield (down 10 places from an average of 18th to 28th)
    =2. University of Nottingham (down 10 places from an average of 8th to 18th)
    5. SOAS (down 6 places from an average of 21st to 27th)

Unsurprisingly, universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial and LSE have seen little to no changes in their average ranking over a 20-year period.

Posted this thread as I think people choosing their university should know if their university has only been performing strongly or poorly in league tables as of recently, rather than consistently (not that students should choose a university based solely on rankings).

NB:
    1. I'm aware that The Sunday Times and the Complete University Guide use different methodologies and give different weightings to each metric to come up with their ranking positions. But thought that this would provide a good snapshot given that it is the average ranking over a 10-year period.
    2. Only the top 40 universities in the CUG's 10-year average ranking has been compared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_Richards99)

1. I'm aware that The Sunday Times and the Complete University Guide use different methodologies and give different weightings to each metric to come up with their ranking positions. But thought that this would provide a good snapshot given that it is the average ranking over a 10-year period.
    Interesting.

What it shows is that despite the Russell Group hype on TSR and in the wider world, the universities that has risen are the whole universities that look as though they belong in the now non-existent 1994 Group (whether or not they were actually in the 1994 Group) at the expense of universities that look as though they are typical Russell Group (big, big city, don't bother me with students-they interfere with my research) universities.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Durham was always considered to be a solid top 10 university?

Surprised that York used to place so high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Interesting.

What it shows is that despite the Russell Group hype on TSR and in the wider world, the universities that has risen are the whole universities that look as though they belong in the now non-existent 1994 Group (whether or not they were actually in the 1994 Group) at the expense of universities that look as though they are typical Russell Group (big, big city, don't bother me with students-they interfere with my research) universities.
    I think its rather due to the fact that they are forced to try much harder as they can't fall back onto their RG status for marketing and research funding.

Your point about big cities is interesting. Only Aston, Strathclyde, Glasgow are universities in big cities that have made gains. All others have fallen.

ReputationRep:
    What happened to Nottingham? Used to be top 10? As a current student there, I'd like to know.

ReputationRep:
    The age of the Internet has ruined some unis like Sheffield. Most people associate Sheffield with a downtrodden industrial wasteland full of working class and benefit proles, so I guess that's put people off the university. Or it may just be that the Internet has separated the truly good unis from the bad... Before the Internet, all people had to go on was a prospectus, now they have google images, reviews, guides etc... So generally, unis that are situated in a middle class, posh, area like York and Exeter, tend to attract brighter students, so they move up in the league, whereas unis like Sheffield and to some extent Nottingham have to bring in the Chinese who have no local knowledge of the U.K. Whatsoever, and are lead to believe these cities are similar to Oxford and Cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj1)
    What happened to Nottingham? Used to be top 10? As a current student there, I'd like to know.
    Focused too much on expansion.

(Original post by Voi)
    The age of the Internet has ruined some unis like Sheffield. Most people associate Sheffield with a downtrodden industrial wasteland full of working class and benefit proles, so I guess that's put people off the university. Or it may just be that the Internet has separated the truly good unis from the bad... Before the Internet, all people had to go on was a prospectus, now they have google images, reviews, guides etc... So generally, unis that are situated in a middle class, posh, area like York and Exeter, tend to attract brighter students, so they move up in the league, whereas unis like Sheffield and to some extent Nottingham have to bring in the Chinese who have no local knowledge of the U.K. Whatsoever, and are lead to believe these cities are similar to Oxford and Cambridge...
    York has been falling down the league tables though? Bristol which is also quite posh has fallen.

Don't think the only major reason is to do with location (though I do believe it to be a big factor).

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what facilitates a drop from 6th to 20th for York. Mind you a lot of people noted it in the same position as Durham, a place for Oxbridge insurances and rejects back then

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that Southampton has moved an average of -1 over the leage tables, which is the same as Cambridge.

I suppose this must be a good thing, although would it be too much a stretch to say that Southampton is as good as Cambridge?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.