Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Welcome to my Grow Your Grades 2017 thread! Last year I entered my own thread into GYG 2016, and I guess I'm here again! Nice to talk again!

I'm currently studying for my AS exams at an independent sixth form. These AS subjects are:
    • English Langauge and Literature
    • History
    • Philosophy
    • Psychology
    • Core Maths in Context

I'm aiming to get no lower than B's in each subject (although, the grades I really want are A's!) Last year, my thread actually really helped in motivating me to revise, so here I am, trying to achieve the same - but to a higher effect.

Good luck to everyone! Grow your grades as much as you can!

-Kyle

ReputationRep:
    Those are great subjects!!! Last year I did English Literature and English Language as separate subjects, and Psychology too. What's the English Language side of the course like? Best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovegoodjpg)
    Those are great subjects!!! Last year I did English Literature and English Language as separate subjects, and Psychology too. What's the English Language side of the course like? Best of luck x
    Hey! Well, the course is obviously mixing the two, so we do one book and one collection of poems in the Literature side, but on the Language side we study an anthology of non-fiction texts. These texts are things like football commentaries and charity adverts and even a twitterfeed! We just study them linguistically in lieu of literary study!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

It's been a while. This is because last week was mock week, and after that torment of hell, I decided to take a break from school work for a little while (until I officially started lessons again). Well, that was yesterday. I've got a few of my mock results back already, but I'll let you guys know the final grades when I actually have them all!

I've decided to start bullet journalling to try and aid my revision, I even added a handy dandy study tracker! I'll post a picture at the beginning of February (I'm incredibly ashamed at the lack of revision I've done for my subjects! xD).

We seem to be starting new units in my AS subjects, finally on to Philosophy of Religion in Philosophy, a hell of a lot easier than Epistemology! That's my favourite advancement anyway! xD

Anyway, I've just put my retainer in, and it hurts like hell. So good night! <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Look DoNot Touch)
    Hey! Well, the course is obviously mixing the two, so we do one book and one collection of poems in the Literature side, but on the Language side we study an anthology of non-fiction texts. These texts are things like football commentaries and charity adverts and even a twitterfeed! We just study them linguistically in lieu of literary study!
    that sounds fairly similar to what i was doing!!! but is your analysis kind of like the GCSE English Language paper where you'd talk about sentence structure and its effect and stuff like that, or do you look at linguistic theory and language and gender and social groups and stuff like that? that was the best side of the course for me bc it was about why certain people use certain types of language!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovegoodjpg)
    that sounds fairly similar to what i was doing!!! but is your analysis kind of like the GCSE English Language paper where you'd talk about sentence structure and its effect and stuff like that, or do you look at linguistic theory and language and gender and social groups and stuff like that? that was the best side of the course for me bc it was about why certain people use certain types of language!!
    That sound so interesting! Mine is more like GCSE in analysing language and techniques etc. We do talk about the contexts behind the texts though!

ReputationRep:
    How you revising History?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

Sorry for the inactivity, I haven't been all too happy lately, just personal issues getting me down. v_v But I'm back again to update you!

So as I've previously mentioned, I've had my mock week! I've got all my grades back, I'm fairly content with them. Some areas I'm upset in though! I thought that in terms of which subject I'd do best in (from worst to best) would be:

• Core Maths
    • Philosophy
    • English
    • History
    • Psychology

That's because I felt confident in Psychology. I knew I'd do badly in Core Maths, and my last mock grade in Philosophy was a D! So I wasn't expecting anything to be great. I got my worst grades first, so I was disheartened, but yesterday I got the last of them, and I'm super duper pleased with them!
    • Core Maths - I attained a D, and worst of all, was top of my class and one of the top 5 in my year. Really shows how little care everyone has for Core Maths!
    • English - I attained a C overall, C in the Literature part and a B in the Language part!
    • Psychology - I attained a C, needless to say, I was extremely dissapointed!
    • History - I attained a B, an A in my first essay and a B in my second!
    • Philosophy - I attained an A! My teacher told me that if AS awarded A*s it would be at that level. Considering I was middling in my class, and there are some clever brain boxes in there, I'm shocked to say I attained top of the class! It's insane! I never would have thought it.

Overall, I know where I need to develop. Core Maths is in the actual maths side, not so much the evaluative side. I hadn't revised for Core Maths, anyhow so I'm not too shocked. For English I need ensure that I'm linking to the question and need to focus on techniques. For Psychology, it is simply clamping down some key facts of the Core Studies! For History, I need to ensure I am evaluating and linking as I go along, not just at the end of the paragraph (although my teacher did say she enjoys reading my essays because I 'write well')! For Philsophy, The marks I dropped (only 7) was with lack of clarity, some incorrect information, and incoherence of my argument! I'm currently working on a post on how I revise, to go up maybe this Saturday! See you then people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niyi Aderounmu)
    How you revising History?
    Sorry for the late reply!

I revise at the moment by familiarising myself with the content and significance etc, essentially rewriting notes. Earlier, I spoke to my History teacher about a revision technique I'd been pondering exercising and she said it would be an extremely useful one!

Essentially, I'll take an essay question. Then spend 10 minutes writing a plan for it (I want to work on making plans quickly for the exam) and then after that, complete the plan with info I missed! Then for some of them, I may write the essays I give them to my teachers to mark.

I'd say, if you write any essays outside of class work, ask your teacher to mark them! Chances are they will (all of mine will!). It helps so much! It helps you know your own knowledge, the teachers can identify where you're struggling, and can help you!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Gee, I'm terrible at this whole 'updating regularly' thing, aren't I? It's been busy lately. I feel like I don't have time to do a lot of things, due to spending 2 hours (minimum) on a bus every day (minus weekends) and having sixth form and work three nights a week and on Saturdays. It's just hard to clamp the time. This is extra prevalent in that I want to be in bed by 12 every night!
    However, I'm bullet journaling - and I actually have found a model that works for me! I'll post a picture when I create my next weekly spread. I find it to be a great design for my needs!
    I'm also missing writing a fair bit. I really wanna sink my claws into a piece I started in November - but again... between school, a part-time job, and a social life, it seems near damn impossible.

This week I'm on half-term and honestly... I haven't done an ounce of schoolwork. I've organised myself a bit though - I bought a LARGE folder and put three of my subjects in there, couldn't quite fit Psychology, however. It's damn heavy, but I do often find myself needing stuff from the past - so hopefully this will remedy this.

I'm going to try and remember to post more often! <3

ReputationRep:
    Ahem... hi there! It's been a while again, perhaps I should set a reminder?

Anyway, as promised (no matter how belated), here is my bullet journal set up!:
    Name:  IMG_0153.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  472.6 KB

It's simplistic and it works super well! I took this a while ago, hence it's emptiness. But it's pretty self-explanatory. The blank space is where I allocate tasks for the day and include notes (such as cancelled lessons and appointments etc).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.