Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Sending off my application tomorrow, my end goal is to achieve chartered engineer status.

I'd like to do this by studying a Beng in Aerospace + Space technology, to then do a Msci in Robotics.

However I believe my understanding of postgraduate education to be wrong, how is the application for postgraduate related to that of undergraduate?

I will feature a MENG in Aerospace on my application, but my ideal situation would be the Beng then Msci.

Would doing the Mci at the same university make this easier?
    Will the course be fully funded with a loan in similar fashion to an undergrad course?

ReputationRep:
    Those are all really great things to be questioning before you decide how to apply, and many universities will be flexible within the first year or two if you want to stay on to do an MEng or finish with a BSc, then follow up with an MSc later on.

Serious things to consider:
    - If you're an international student requiring a visa, changes to your course will require you to reapply for a new visa; however you are allowed to continue on the same visa in some cases. I originally applied for an MSci (the neuroscience equivalent of an MEng), then switched to a BSc because my career goals changed. I luckily didn't have to reapply for a new visa, but people switching from BSc to MSci did. If this is something you need guidance on, I recommend checking the UKCISA website: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/

- Where do you see yourself? Engineering? In a lab? Sharing a coffee with Elon Musk? If you want to climb the corporate ladder and be a staff engineer, I'd recommend setting your sights on an integrated MEng. This will allow for you to become more quickly chartered, and to more easily get on to graduate schemes. That being said, if your marks aren't spectacular, it will almost be required for you to study a further MSc to get accepted onto a scheme.

- Is commitment or change more appealing? You indicated you might want to branch out into robotics. The MEng means you're stuck in a single place for a longer period of time. If you think you might want to go elsewhere and study something more, than the BSc + MSc looks like the path for you.

A friend of mine who was studying ChemEng woke up one day and decided that he wanted to go to MIT. He switched out of the MEng program to a BSc, then took on a thermodynamics MSc equivalent in America.

You should have enough freedom to be flexible, but keep these things in mind throughout your degree so that when you NEED to make the choice, you can do so with a bit of confidence.

Sorry for the long post x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slippy)
    x
    the integrated masters is a recent innovation to ensure that would be engineers don't feel put off at having to study (and pay) for four years for 'only' a bachelors degree in order to secure accreditation. Prior to the introduction of fees, this was the less a concern.

Under the present circumstance then most people who graduate with only the BEng are those who have decided that they won't be going into engineering, such that it isn't worth the extra year of fees and study when a bachelors degree is a bachelors degree in whatever subject. But, the at 3 years exit opportunity is as well sometimes taken by people who want either to change direction within engineering or to move to a fancier institution.

This second is high risk. There is no automatic fee funding or maintenance loan available as it is the for the 4th year if carrying on. Standalone masters are funded on a discretionary basis by funding councils, universities and industry, and competition for that funding is fierce. If it pays off, you're laughing, since you've now had your fees paid and a very sizeable maintenance grant that is not a loan to be repaid. If it doesn't, you'll have to find the funds for the MSc, and to support yourself, or will have only the BEng.

ReputationRep:
    My concern is locking myself to an Meng course for the sake of credibility, whereas the modules I'd learn from partaking in a Beng + Msci are far more relevant to my career interests.

It also offers the benefit of having both titles, and subsequently expands my career options.

To add some context

Is it possible to do a Beng here, to then go on and do this postgraduate?
    What would the process be?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My concern is locking myself to an Meng course for the sake of credibility, whereas the modules I'd learn from partaking in a Beng + Msci are far more relevant to my career interests.

It also offers the benefit of having both titles, and subsequently expands my career options.

To add some context

Is it possible to do a Beng here, to then go on and do this postgraduate?
    What would the process be?
    If the MSc (note the terminology - an MSci refers to an integrated masters science degree, whereas an MSc refers to a postgraduate degree) is more relevant to your career interests then that's a strong case for taking that route.

However, as cambio wechsel says, a postgraduate degree will likely have to be paid out of your own pocket, as opposed to put on student finance like the BEng/MEng degree.

If you want to know whether you could apply for that MSc with that undergrad degree, it's best to contact the university to confirm. It's generally the case that engineering masters degrees are not that competitive for entry, but that might not always hold true.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    my end goal is to achieve chartered engineer status.
    Start down the MEng route. You can always change your mind later if you want to, but it's a little bit easier to go from MEng to BEng than the other way round.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.