Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying first year Maths at uni however I am resitting for the second time. I failed the first time around because I didn't put enough effort in plain and simple, I spent too much time drinking and not enough time studying... second time around I was on course to pass, but then broke my wrist right before the summer exams, meaning i couldn't sit them, I then went through lots of appeals etc. And the best they could offer me was another go at first year which I accepted. Even though I love it here and have got loads of good mates something doesn't feel right this year and modules that I have found easy in previous years are suddenly much more difficult. I am very tempted to drop out but (a) I don't know how to go about finding a career in my prefered field without a degree.
    And (b) I am don't want the stigma of being a university drop-out...
    I really don't know whether dropping out would by right for atm. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how you want to think about it, I am only in my first year, having done a foundation year before, due to rubbish a levels, however managed to get into kings for physics now though. Its tough for me too, probably like most people, but I try to think of it this way, when I had a part-time job, did I enjoy it?

Well, the answer was no. I found most of the non-degree requirement jobs extremely irritating, the best I could land was a £13.50ph job as a security guard, It was horrible though. So damn boring, no brain required. If what you want to do in life needs a degree, then push forward, you only think its hard because I am sure you aren't putting the effort in. My advice is, try to do all the other extra curricular stuff with your subject, maths requires effort and time, so take an interest in it, and find out why you chose it in the first place again. I mean it would make perfect sense if you picked maths because you liked it. It's like when you are going through a tough time in a relationship, and your girlfriend is annoying you a bit, stay positive and give her a chance, you will fall madly in love again.

Being a drop out is harder than ever nowadays, I mean look at the grade requirements every year. It would be a shame if when you are fifty, you decide you like the subject, like some people at my uni, and after thirty years of doing the same old job, you go to uni again. Do what you want, and take every opportunity you have to be successful in your life. It's very rare to be the next Mark Zuckerberg uni dropout.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.