The Student Room Group

Trump compromised by Russian intelligence, reports say

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AlexanderHam
It seems interesting how some sources are really pushing this "unverified" angle (the media reports things that are far less substantial than this, all the time). But even taken at its lowest, the story is still astonishing that a former MI6 officer, one who is widely respected and viewed as competent and serious, put together a report which was viewed as being so credible and serious that it was included in the top-secret intelligence summary given to the president.

The first news thing I read on this was the BBC which went to pains to stress the unverified angle. I think that probably has more to do with Trump's history of threatening to sue journalists than it does any particular problems with the document itself.

Also separate to the report, the Guardian reported that the FBI applied to the FISA court for surveillance warrants against members of the Trump team on the basis of their being involved with Russian intelligence. That was before this report came to the FBI. The connections of Trump team members like Page Carter, Paul Manafort, Rex Tillerson and Michael Flynn, to Vladimir Putin, are well-known and beyond dispute. Trump would have no reason to (and every reason not to) bow down and bend over for Russia in the way he has, unless he was totally compromised. For every other foreign adversary, like China, he's constantly beating his chest and making threats. But when it comes to Russia, he bows down like a good little compromised agent.

Nothing to add, this seems basically inarguable.

The betting sites are offering good (and I mean good for the betting site, not for the bettor) odds on a Trump impeachment, and it is now considered by them to be quite likely. I agree with this; I think at some point the congressional Republicans will decide they just have to get rid of him, and it's much better to have a conventional republican like Mike Pence in the office of president.

I don't know about that. He hasn't actually done anything wrong in terms of deserving impeachment from a legal perspective. If sexual deviancy qualified Al Gore would have become President and there's nothing technically wrong with being chummy with other world leaders.
BuzzFeed Editor trying to do some damage control - "there is serious reason to doubt these allegations"

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/818978955965464580

Sounds like fake news!
We are in an era of post-truth politics and journalism, liberals say, as they propagate such an era (to the extent that one exists) themselves...

From the BuzzFeed source itself:

The allegations are unverified, and the report contains errors.

The document was prepared for political opponents of Trump by a person who is understood to be a former British intelligence agent. It is not just unconfirmed: It includes some clear errors. The report misspells the name of one company, “Alpha Group,” throughout. It is Alfa Group. The report says the settlement of Barvikha, outside Moscow, is “reserved for the residences of the top leadership and their close associates.” It is not reserved for anyone, and it is also populated by the very wealthy.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensinger/these-reports-allege-trump-has-deep-ties-to-russia?utm_term=.kiglqoQdg#.oxoQNova2

As Michael Cohen has stated: “Clearly, the person who created this did so from their imagination or did so hoping that the liberal media would run with this fake story for whatever rationale they might have". Boy have they run. :cool:
(edited 7 years ago)
Every other country in the world, he beats his chest and acts macho, but when it comes to Putin he bows down, worshipping the ground on which he walks and praising pretty much everything he does.

Such as Israel/Netanyahu? He's already met Bibi at Trump Tower, promised to move the Embassy to Jerusalem, and condemned UNSCR 2344 (from Twitter, of course) which not even 1 of the 15 UNSC members voted against.

Hmm so macho! Imagine if he had a meeting with Putin in Trump Tower... But yes, Trump is uniquely unequivocally pro-Russia?
It seems interesting how some sources are really pushing this "unverified" angle (the media reports things that are far less substantial than this, all the time). But even taken at its lowest, the story is still astonishing that a former MI6 officer, one who is widely respected and viewed as competent and serious, put together a report which was viewed as being so credible and serious that it was included in the top-secret intelligence summary given to the president.

Also separate to the report, the Guardian reported that the FBI applied to the FISA court for surveillance warrants against members of the Trump team on the basis of their being involved with Russian intelligence. That was before this report came to the FBI. The connections of Trump team members like Page Carter, Paul Manafort, Rex Tillerson and Michael Flynn, to Vladimir Putin, are well-known and beyond dispute. Trump would have no reason to (and every reason not to) bow down and bend over for Russia in the way he has, unless he was totally compromised. For every other foreign adversary, like China, he's constantly beating his chest and making threats. But when it comes to Russia, he bows down like a good little compromised agent.

The betting sites are offering good (and I mean good for the betting site, not for the bettor) odds on a Trump impeachment, and it is now considered by them to be quite likely. I agree with this; I think at some point the congressional Republicans will decide they just have to get rid of him, and it's much better to have a conventional republican like Mike Pence in the office of president.

What's interesting is how much you're pushing the 'respected MI6 officer' angle. The truth is he's now a private consultant and did what he was paid to do, find a way to smear Trump. His background doesn't change the fact that there's no evidence to suppprt any of the allegations or that he made several factual errors in his report. It doesn't change the fact that numerous other media outlets originally refused to publish this story. It has zero credibility and for you to pretend otherwise is intellectually dishonest.
The very nature and subject of these allegations means of course the FBI would brief the president.

The FBI have investigated the claim that Trump has inappropriate ties with Russia. We all know that. They found nothing btw. What is that meant to prove?

Betting sites also offer bets for Elvis being found alive, the moon landings being revealed as fake and the spotting of the Loch Ness Monster, amongst other things. The odds they offer simply reflect what money is being wagered. Liberals are certainly desperate and wish he would get impeached, I could have told you that.

I'd also be interested to hear what dirt you think the IRA, Russia, Iran and Hezbollah have on Jeremy Corbyn. Or maybe he simply has different sympathies than we do? Almost the entire hard left in this country worship Putin btw, are they are being blackmailed?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pol pot noodles
What's interesting is how much you're pushing the 'respected MI6 officer' angle. The truth is he's now a private consultant and did what he was paid to do, find a way to smear Trump. His background doesn't change the fact that there's no evidence to suppprt any of the allegations or that he made several factual errors in his report. It doesn't change the fact that numerous other media outlets originally refused to publish this story. It has zero credibility and for you to pretend otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

The very nature and subject of these allegations means of course the FBI would brief the president.

The FBI have investigated the claim that Trump has inappropriate ties with Russia. We all know that. They found nothing btw. What is that meant to prove?
PRSOM.
Reply 47
Original post by Palmyra
Such as Israel/Netanyahu? He's already met Bibi at Trump Tower, promised to move the Embassy to Jerusalem, and condemned UNSCR 2344 (from Twitter, of course) which not even 1 of the 15 UNSC members voted against.

Hmm so macho! Imagine if he had a meeting with Putin in Trump Tower... But yes, Trump is uniquely unequivocally pro-Russia?

Not that the point isn't valid, but Israel-US relations have always been extremely close. Bibi isn't quite on the level of Xi Jinping.
Original post by jape
Not that the point isn't valid, but Israel-US relations have always been extremely close. Bibi isn't quite on the level of Xi Jinping.

A bit of a simplification, but I concede this to be mostly true - not that it changes the fact that the OP's claim was demonstrably false.
Reply 49
Original post by Palmyra
A bit of a simplification, but I concede this to be mostly true - not that it changes the fact that the OP's claim was demonstrably false.

I sort-of wish it were true, if purely for entertainment value.

"I have beautiful children - Theresa May has none! Loveless Marriage! Sad!"
Liberals :lol:
There are numerous screenshots circulating Reddit of 4chan users in a pro-Donald Trump thread in the politics section scheming last year to see how absurd a story they can make liberal media fall for (akin to when they invent fake Facebook picture trends to troll feminists), and screenshots of them congratulating themselves today for the story breaking. They claim they gave the story to anti-Trump pundit Rick Wilson, after which it fell into the hands of an ex-British spook who was commissioned to find dirt on Trump. Hardline anti-Russia hawk John McCain then gave it to the FBI, and someone in the intelligence community decided to allow Buzzfeed see it. And here we are.
The 4chan angle is still being investigated, but it's certainly more reason to doubt the 'scandal' especially in the complete absence of any proof that it's real.

I've just been searching the various well known sites to see if there's much to support this "it was 4chan" angle and I can't see a lot. In fact, the MI6 agent in question is apparently highly regarded internationally and surely would not fall for an obvious faking attempt.

Knowing Trump as we do, a man surrounded and dogged by disturbing allegations of gross sexual behaviour, it isn't at all difficult to imagine that (a) the FSB and possibly other agencies would seek and locate compromising material on him and that (b) he did it. I don't see a problem with that picture. If anything, it explains his strange behaviour of repeatedly lauding Putin and his policies and apparently being desperate to wind up NATO and diss anyone who stands up to Cousin Vladimir.

The man coming into office is a crook, a pervert and a conman who has caved to Russian blackmail. All the right wing evasions and tricks in the world won't be able to conceal that.
Original post by Snufkin
:rofl:

:rofl:
Couple of tweets from the wires:

"I don't understand all the fuss. Once urine the White House, urine."

"Now at least we know who his decorator is."
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Knowing Trump as we do, a man surrounded and dogged by disturbing allegations of gross sexual behaviour, it isn't at all difficult to imagine that (a) the FSB and possibly other agencies would seek and locate compromising material on him and that (b) he did it. I don't see a problem with that picture. If anything, it explains his strange behaviour of repeatedly lauding Putin and his policies and apparently being desperate to wind up NATO and diss anyone who stands up to Cousin Vladimir.

From the report there seemed to be three important things: (i) Trump receiving intelligence on HC from the FSB, (ii) the FSB offering Trump incentives to deepen their relationship, which Trump rejected, and (iii) the FSB having stuff on him to blackmail him into being their puppet.

Of these, I think only (i) is significant. No one seems to be mentioning (ii) (I wonder why), and as for (iii) (which is what you seem to have focused on), I don't see why Trump's sexual preferences are of any relevance. Donald does not strike me as a man who would capitulate to threats, more likely is him responding "do it I dare you, I'll forget about China and make you the U.S.'s new number one enemy".

Not to mention that none of these allegations have actually been proven, and the FBI's own findings dispute the allegations made.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I've just been searching the various well known sites to see if there's much to support this "it was 4chan" angle and I can't see a lot. In fact, the MI6 agent in question is apparently highly regarded internationally and surely would not fall for an obvious faking attempt.

The man coming into office is a crook, a pervert and a conman who has caved to Russian blackmail. All the right wing evasions and tricks in the world won't be able to conceal that.

This highly regarded MI6 agent failed to provide any proof or evidence what so ever in his report. So there's that.
And Jesus Christ you're logic is astonishing. There's zero evidence, none whatsoever, such an absence of evidence that for almost two months no reputable media outlet would go near this story, but because it fits with your agenda and political bias you think it's plausibly true? For real?!
Incidentally I remember when i debunked a meme you posted about Donald Trump saying if he ever ran for office he'd run as a Republican because Republican voters are stupid, and your response was along the lines of 'yeah but it sounds like something he'd say so I still think it's true'.
It's weird seeing such hypocritical, nonsensical, utterly stupid logic from someone clearly very educated and smart.
Hell this consultant who wrote the report might have had the same logic as you 'I don't like Trump, this fits in with my bias, sounds legit, must be true,' which would explain why the report was so sloppy, with no supporting evidence and full of factual inaccuracies.
Reply 56
i'm just going to throw this out here but all that this report has done is ALLEGED trump of having these contacts. like seriously why are you all taking this like it's the truth? I'll quote the guardian on this

"The Guardian has not been able to confirm the veracity of the documents’ contents, and the Trump team has consistently denied any hidden contacts with the Russian government."

"They were drawn up by a former western counter-intelligence official, now working as a private consultant. BuzzFeed on Tuesday published the documents, which it said were “unverified and potentially unverifiable”."

literally the source that published the documents said it was unverified...

"“Not how journalism works: Here’s a thing that might or might not be true, without supporting evidence; decide for yourself if it’s legit,” tweeted Brad Heath, an investigative reporter for USA Today." - https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/10/buzzfeed-publishes-donald-trump-russia-documents-ethics-questions

just pointing out i see a lot of paranoid people, let's actually wait for evidence before judging shall we? although i know that's very hard for most people nowadays
It's weird seeing such hypocritical, nonsensical, utterly stupid logic from someone clearly very educated and smart.

Hardly. People like Mehdi Hasan and Noam Chomsky are very educated and smart too. Clearly, being educated doesn't guarantee that someone won't be crap at being objective about something on which they already have an opinion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Hardly. People like Mehdi Hasan and Noam Chomsky are very educated and smart too. Clearly, being educated doesn't guarantee that someone won't be crap at being objective about something on which they already have an opinion.

It's nice to be associated with so lofty an eminence as Chomsky. :hat2: :teehee:

I don't think it's only predisposition though, it's about the infowars - we draw on different sources. I try to read Breitbart and some right wing news outlets to see what the other side are saying, but plenty of people don't 'cross over'.
This highly regarded MI6 agent failed to provide any proof or evidence what so ever in his report. So there's that.
And Jesus Christ you're logic is astonishing. There's zero evidence, none whatsoever, such an absence of evidence that for almost two months no reputable media outlet would go near this story, but because it fits with your agenda and political bias you think it's plausibly true? For real?!
Incidentally I remember when i debunked a meme you posted about Donald Trump saying if he ever ran for office he'd run as a Republican because Republican voters are stupid, and your response was along the lines of 'yeah but it sounds like something he'd say so I still think it's true'.
Hell this consultant who wrote the report might have had the same logic as you 'I don't like Trump, this fits in with my bias, sounds legit, must be true,' which would explain why the report was so sloppy, with no supporting evidence and full of factual inaccuracies.

I suppose the main thing I'm drawing on here is that he is widely said to be a reputable source. Time will tell which version of the post-truth truth is true, but I'm banking on him for this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending