Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Choosing between Cambridge and KCL for PhD Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently looking to start a PhD next September/October and I am unsure which institution to go for. I currently have an offer from Cambridge and I am hoping to soon receive an offer from KCL. My prospective supervisor from KCL has so far been extremely helpful and I am sure that I would receive excellent supervision from her. My prospective supervisor from Cambridge also seems very good, but I suspect I might receive more time and attention from the KCL prospective supervisor. The other issue is funding. It is still a it early to know about funding, although I sense, given the support of the KCL supervisor, that I might stand a good chance of winning AHRC funding from KCL. I sense, however, that it might be harder to win funding from Cambridge, especially AHRC funding, and that if I do it is more likely to be partial funding from a college. My question is firstly where do you think I should go and secondly if I get full funding from KCL should I choose it over partial funding from Cambridge? Also what if I did, although the chances are possibly quite slim, get full funding from both universities? Where should I go? It is a really hard decision, and I sense that which ever I chose I might end up feeling haunted by the possibilities of the other - obviously to decline an offer from Cambridge would be a huge decision! Any advise would be much appreciated. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    okay a really simplistic answer:

if funding is similar from both go to Cambridge, because it's Cambridge
    if there is full funding from KCL and small partial from Cambridge(<50%) then go for KCL because the pros outnumber the cons(full funding plus good supervisor) and to still be thinking about rejecting a Cambridge application means you're pretty keen on KCL

just a thought, not even an opinion :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henriwater)
    Hi, I am currently looking to start a PhD next September/October and I am unsure which institution to go for. I currently have an offer from Cambridge and I am hoping to soon receive an offer from KCL. My prospective supervisor from KCL has so far been extremely helpful and I am sure that I would receive excellent supervision from her. My prospective supervisor from Cambridge also seems very good, but I suspect I might receive more time and attention from the KCL prospective supervisor. The other issue is funding. It is still a it early to know about funding, although I sense, given the support of the KCL supervisor, that I might stand a good chance of winning AHRC funding from KCL. I sense, however, that it might be harder to win funding from Cambridge, especially AHRC funding, and that if I do it is more likely to be partial funding from a college. My question is firstly where do you think I should go and secondly if I get full funding from KCL should I choose it over partial funding from Cambridge? Also what if I did, although the chances are possibly quite slim, get full funding from both universities? Where should I go? It is a really hard decision, and I sense that which ever I chose I might end up feeling haunted by the possibilities of the other - obviously to decline an offer from Cambridge would be a huge decision! Any advise would be much appreciated. Thank you
    Hey. I'm currently doing my masters in King's and have applied for a PhD for 2017. I can assure the supervisors are very helpful and passionate about their work as well. Regarding the funding, I think you should never pay to do a PhD. I think you should wait for King's to reply back on you application and prioritize. ( Personally I would choose King's :P )

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've got a philosophy PhD offer from Cambridge too Have you heard anything about funding yet?
    (Original post by Henriwater)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumblebumble)
    Hey, I've got a philosophy PhD offer from Cambridge too Have you heard anything about funding yet?
    Hi, congratulations on your offer! I'm still waiting to hear back on funding. I don't think my AHRC funding for Cambridge was successful but I am still waiting to hear back on some college funding. I'm also waiting to hear back from KCL LAHP funding. I'm hoping something will come off that will make the decision much simpler! How about yourself?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.