Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American hoping to attend university in England. Durham is my top choice so far. Only issue is that they do not have an ice rink or an ice hockey team in the area. Due to circumstances, I am limited in the types of sports I can play. Ice hockey is one of the only ones and I've been playing for 13 years so far, so being able to continue playing is pretty important to me. Anyways, the closest rink (I believe) is in Whitley Bay. I was wondering the following...

Does Durham have an ice hockey club or players that play out of there? If so, how would I go about finding them?

Is taking the train from Durham to Whitely Bay there economical?

Have you or any of your friends at Durham played ice hockey or have experience that could possibly help me out?

Thanks and peace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icehockeyolive)
    I'm an American hoping to attend university in England. Durham is my top choice so far. Only issue is that they do not have an ice rink or an ice hockey team in the area. Due to circumstances, I am limited in the types of sports I can play. Ice hockey is one of the only ones and I've been playing for 13 years so far, so being able to continue playing is pretty important to me. Anyways, the closest rink (I believe) is in Whitley Bay. I was wondering the following...

Does Durham have an ice hockey club or players that play out of there? If so, how would I go about finding them?

Is taking the train from Durham to Whitely Bay there economical?

Have you or any of your friends at Durham played ice hockey or have experience that could possibly help me out?

Thanks and peace
    Durham University does not have an ice hockey team, and Whitley Bay is quite a distance away (you would have to go to the Durham train station to Newcastle, walk approx 5 mins to the Metro, then take the metro from Monument to Whitley Bay, then get to the ice rink itself). This journey would cost approximately 10 pounds with railcard.

Should you decide to attend Durham University, you would be best off picking up another sport.

ReputationRep:
    Is ice hockey a thing in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    Oxford and Cambridge have teams, have no idea about any other unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    I heard the UK has a fair amount of ice hockey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamdunce)
    Durham University does not have an ice hockey team, and Whitley Bay is quite a distance away (you would have to go to the Durham train station to Newcastle, walk approx 5 mins to the Metro, then take the metro from Monument to Whitley Bay, then get to the ice rink itself). This journey would cost approximately 10 pounds with railcard.

Should you decide to attend Durham University, you would be best off picking up another sport.

That's quite a trek! My 2nd option for sports would be mountain biking. Do they have any good trails in the area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icehockeyolive)
    That's quite a trek! My 2nd option for sports would be mountain biking. Do they have any good trails in the area?
    There is mountain biking at Durham University, you can google their page and if you have any questions facebook message their FB page. Although, usually clubs like these only have a few excursions, so if you are a serious hockey player who is used to training everyday you would probably pick up a new sport.

And no, ice hockey is not really a thing in the UK. There are no school teams, and only a few club teams which are not the standard you would expect in Canada/USA. You could try to join whatever club operates out of Whitley Bay, but I would doubt you would stick to it for long.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.