Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My family and friends always look down on me because i doing BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma while they all have done proper A-levels. I did not do well in GCSE since i have to do lot of exams within the 2 weeks peroid and honestly i couldn't revise very well and was nervous too. So i decided to do BTEC because of no exams and i have gotten DDD+ and manage to get into a very good uni. So i expecting my family to be happy since i manage to get into higher unis than anyone in the household (i'm the youngest) and yet they still think i'm stupid because i have done BTECs only. I always intrested in computing so it's not like i going to study biology,etc just to pursuit a doctor career and in fact, i always wanted to do programming and particularly computer science in uni. I have aced my first year in uni with high marks and of course there were 2-3 exams in each semester which wasn't a problem because i have more time to focus on revising and there was no stress at all.

Now i really enjoy my uni life and hoping to get a 1st class and hopefully get a job later. But whenever my family meet up , and this topic sometime come up and they all feel like they are jealous/think i'm stupid because i was able to achieve better in uni while my brother and sister have to go through a foundation year route and honestly they have to go to the top 90 uni while i'm in the top 20 without foundation. Although i have never done any proper A-levels , i still found that BTECs was something that improve my education and life immensely as a result that i found that unis are much more easier than what i have done in BTECs.

Have anyone ever been in this siutation and honestly i really get tired of people lookign down on us BTECs especially family and friends!

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it's the BTEC they're looking down on? It might be the course, I have always known doing compsci will cause a kind of unconscious disappointment in some of my family. It puts you into their imaginary category of "geek/nerd", so they might have started seeing you like that. It's completely unfair too because compsci is such a valuable degree in the modern age.

Other than that I don't really know what to say, maybe they look down on vocational things for some reason? What did/do your siblings study as a subject?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they're jealous? or nervous because no ones gone down the vocational route before?
    I think maybe people who don't do btecs have got a negative stereotype somehow about them.
    but in reality Btec courses are a usually a lot more related if you want to go into that career/job sector. I underestimated btecs myself until I did one cos I didn't like A levels.
    My dad mentioned sometimes he wished he learned a trade or did a vocational subject instead of a levels due to this current climate in the economy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.