Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 01 - 26th of May, 2017 Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this exam?
    Amazing! :woo:
    26.53%
    Good
    28.57%
    Okay :indiff:
    32.65%
    Bad :sad:
    4.08%
    HORRIBLE PAPER!!
    8.16%

ReputationRep:
    Guys what did you do for the last question about polymers

ReputationRep:
    for the enthalpy I got 32.12kj/mol then for hess law u had to multiply this value by 2 then add 36.3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr.holmes)
    i got it as 2.7x10^3 did you convert the unites?
    i converted the mg to kg

i divide the number i got by 1 kg and multiplied by 10^6 to get 2.7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevandowski)
    There was a table for ionisation energy for magnesium, 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th were given, we had to calculate the possible value for the 3rd one.
    ah ya i remembered
    i put it 9000 it is right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hola1234)
    for the enthalpy I got 32.12kj/mol then for hess law u had to multiply this value by 2 then add 36.3
    What did you write for the lattice enthalpy question, I think the question was why is it less endothermic ?

ReputationRep:
    ah ya i remembered
    i put it 9000 it is right?
    i put 8500

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystal_M)
    i put 8500
    i think there will be a range in the mark scheme. what are your predictions for the grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    And how is the solid ionized guys ? I wrote the solid is converted to a gas and the gaseous sample is bombarded with high energy electrons thus producing a unipositively charged ion. And for part 2 , I wrote 1st=ionization 2nd=acceleration 3rd=deflection. In ionization gaseous sample is bombarded with high energy electrons . In acceleration the the ions are accelerated by electric field

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luj99)
    And how is the solid ionized guys ? I wrote the solid is converted to a gas and the gaseous sample is bombarded with high energy electrons thus producing a unipositively charged ion. And for part 2 , I wrote 1st=ionization 2nd=acceleration 3rd=deflection. In ionization gaseous sample is bombarded with high energy electrons . In acceleration the the ions are accelerated by electric field
    i wrote exactly the same but werent you supposed to explain deflection by the magnetic field? i mean they asked to explain the first two processes after the vaporizing and ionising since they already asked you about them in previous parts?

ReputationRep:
    i think there will be a range in the mark scheme. what are your predictions for the grade boundaries?
    It was 53 for an A grade in January.i hope its below 60.Does anyone know the grade boundaries for the previous papers ?

ReputationRep:
    i wrote exactly the same but werent you supposed to explain deflection by the magnetic field? i mean they asked to explain the first two processes after the vaporizing and ionising since they already asked you about them in previous parts?
    They didn't specify it , they just said write down the first 2 processes so I wrote ionization and acceleration. How about the last question about polymer what did you do ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luj99)
    It was 53 for an A grade in January.i hope its below 60.Does anyone know the grade boundaries for the previous papers ?
    i think the highest was 67
    the grade boundary for june 2016 was 61 so i think it would by around 63 this year.
    january was much harder than this paper so definitely the boundary will increase.

ReputationRep:
    i think the highest was 67
    the grade boundary for june 2016 was 61 so i think it would by around 63 this year.
    january was much harder than this paper so definitely the boundary will increase.
    The January paper was the hardest I had ever done. The paper was insane

ReputationRep:
    guys one of my friends wrote the entire multiple choice in pencil, lyk all 20 questions. Will it still be marked or is tht wrong??

ReputationRep:
    First answer was 2.75, then I remember Cr2O3, yield was 71, the crystals i put filtration,evaporation,distillat ion, for the ez isomer i put but 2 ene for the simple empirical formula i put the straight chain alkane as it was c6h14 and it can be be c3h7 even though that doesnt make sense, for the ground state atom with 2 unpaired electrons i pur Carbon, and I-I bond energy was 151,for the avogadro constant and ions it was find the number of moles multiply by 3 and then by avogadro constant, the sequence for melting point Na,Mg,Al, biggest ionic radius S2-, and greatest covalent character Aluminium iodide 3,the mass spectrum question i put Fe, [Fe]+2, then vaporisation and then ionization by high energy electrons which knock out electrons forming positive ions, for the last part i put acceleration by an electric field and deflection by magnetic field and the last one was detection,for why we cant find it directly the enthalpy change is because we can not measure the temperature change in solid directly, and a large beaker, to prevent splashing off corrosive acid, the ionization question was 7540 for the value, for Delta H you need to add the first and 2nd, and use that balue in the calculation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamin06)
    guys one of my friends wrote the entire multiple choice in pencil, lyk all 20 questions. Will it still be marked or is tht wrong??
    Wow that's really bad , I think the examiners will still mark it , but it's clearly written to write with a black pen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luj99)
    They didn't specify it , they just said write down the first 2 processes so I wrote ionization and acceleration. How about the last question about polymer what did you do ?
    the most important thing is to balance the n
    so it is n (monomer)--------------(polymer)n. and you should show the continuation in the polymer. how did you do it?

ReputationRep:
    the most important thing is to balance the n
    so it is n (monomer)--------------(polymer)n. and you should show the continuation in the polymer. how did you do it?
    I didn't balance it but I wrote the equation correctly and I did show the continuation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laivys)
    First answer was 2.75, then I remember Cr2O3, yield was 71, the crystals i put filtration,evaporation,distillat ion, for the ez isomer i put but 2 ene for the simple empirical formula i put the straight chain alkane as it was c6h14 and it can be be c3h7 even though that doesnt make sense, for the ground state atom with 2 unpaired electrons i pur Carbon, and I-I bond energy was 151,for the avogadro constant and ions it was find the number of moles multiply by 3 and then by avogadro constant, the sequence for melting point Na,Mg,Al, biggest ionic radius S2-, and greatest covalent character Aluminium iodide 3,the mass spectrum question i put Fe, [Fe]+2, then vaporisation and then ionization by high energy electrons which knock out electrons forming positive ions, for the last part i put acceleration by an electric field and deflection by magnetic field and the last one was detection,for why we cant find it directly the enthalpy change is because we can not measure the temperature change in solid directly, and a large beaker, to prevent splashing off corrosive acid, the ionization question was 7540 for the value, for Delta H you need to add the first and 2nd, and use that balue in the calculation
    for the unpaired electrons, what choice was the carbon?
    and for the Aluminium iodide, is int the charge of the Aluminium is more than the sodium ion? or was it something else?
    i did not add the ionisation energies so will i lose all the marks?
    and foe Hess, do you multiply the energy values by anything? i do not remember. how much did you get it by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luj99)
    I didn't balance it but I wrote the equation correctly and I did show the continuation
    i think you will get 1/2 marks.
    i did really bad in the born haber question and the Hess!
    i think i will lose a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.