Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to good A2 results Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to go from CDD in AS levels to AAA in A2 levels? If so, can you tell me how much I need to get there?
    AS:
    D- Biology - 55
    D- Chemistry - 53
    C- Mathematics - 66
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Anything is possible! I got ACDE in my mocks but AAAB in my real exams, to exemplify.

I suggest that first of all, you remember key things. For example, in psychology, If you know some examples and the theory, you can adjust the introduction, analysis, and conclusion to what you know.

Learn in whatever way fits you. I revise in the old way of reading everything over and over again, but that depends on the person. You may find, say, flashcards better.

Understanding the material is important, so ask and ponder on everything you do not understand until you get it.

Learn what you need to know for the exam, not everything. Sure, it is nice to know about 10 examples for each topic, but if you only need like 5 in the exam, do not bother to learn more than that; make sure you know those 5 examples so well you do not forget them, though.

Practise a lot.

Read the best model answers you can find and a few of the worst ones. Model your own answers after the best and do not make the mistakes others made in their exams.

Know your specification and what you need to write to get the marks.

Start revising as soon as possible.

Use any online resources available.

You are not going to like this, but nominating a certain number of hours you will dedicate to studying each subject weekly can help a lot. I studied 6 hours per subject for 3 weeks and that was about enough to memorise what I needed for the exams.

Best of luck, OP!

ReputationRep:
    How much you need of what? Work? You need to work really hard to go from a D (50%-60%) to an A (80%-90%) in A-levels....

I seriously do no understand students sometimes....A-levels are only 2 years...These two years pretty much define your future. They're so important....They are life and death....how do you wind up getting Ds and Cs when you needed As????

Forget your social life, forget the computer, forget the TV, forget your friends and concentrate on studying whatever little time you have left.....devote your entire waking day to revision and if you have to stay up at night then do that too......you might be able to get the AAA...but I doubt it very very much. We are creatures of habit. Its very hard for us to change. If you get DDC in your AS you will most likely get similar if not worse grades in your A-levels...... You need to do 2 years worth of work in 5 months...you need a revolution in your life.

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are u doing? X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    How much you need of what? Work? You need to work really hard to go from a D (50%-60%) to an A (80%-90%) in A-levels....

I seriously do no understand students sometimes....A-levels are only 2 years...These two years pretty much define your future. They're so important....They are life and death....how do you wind up getting Ds and Cs when you needed As????

Forget your social life, forget the computer, forget the TV, forget your friends and concentrate on studying whatever little time you have left.....devote your entire waking day to revision and if you have to stay up at night then do that too......you might be able to get the AAA...but I doubt it very very much. We are creatures of habit. Its very hard for us to change. If you get DDC in your AS you will most likely get similar if not worse grades in your A-levels...... You need to do 2 years worth of work in 5 months...you need a revolution in your life.
    Bad advice. Dont forget friends or a social life. Just learn to manage your time better. When you look back you want to see that ou both got good grades and some experiences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    What exam board are u doing? X
    CIE A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    Anything is possible! I got ACDE in my mocks but AAAB in my real exams, to exemplify.

I suggest that first of all, you remember key things. For example, in psychology, If you know some examples and the theory, you can adjust the introduction, analysis, and conclusion to what you know.

Learn in whatever way fits you. I revise in the old way of reading everything over and over again, but that depends on the person. You may find, say, flashcards better.

Understanding the material is important, so ask and ponder on everything you do not understand until you get it.

Learn what you need to know for the exam, not everything. Sure, it is nice to know about 10 examples for each topic, but if you only need like 5 in the exam, do not bother to learn more than that; make sure you know those 5 examples so well you do not forget them, though.

Practise a lot.

Read the best model answers you can find and a few of the worst ones. Model your own answers after the best and do not make the mistakes others made in their exams.

Know your specification and what you need to write to get the marks.

Start revising as soon as possible.

Use any online resources available.

You are not going to like this, but nominating a certain number of hours you will dedicate to studying each subject weekly can help a lot. I studied 6 hours per subject for 3 weeks and that was about enough to memorise what I needed for the exams.

Best of luck, OP!
    Thank you so much! xx

ReputationRep:

I understand what you're implying at but it's impossible to neglect everything. And moreover, it's not like I didn't work hard for it..it just didn't work out.. But yes, thank you for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dafock)
    Bad advice. Dont forget friends or a social life. Just learn to manage your time better. When you look back you want to see that ou both got good grades and some experiences
    This would be OK for someone who does not leave things to the last minute or gets Ds but wants As and wants this to happen in 5 months...He's/She's in a dire situation. He/She needs to take extreme measures.

I got A*A*AA in A-level and i had a reasonable amount of time for fun during those 2 years. To get these grades and have time for other stuff I quiet literally started prepping from day 0 and left nothing to chance. When I finished my AS I had the equivalent of 3 A*s and I had completed one A-level in my first year for which I got an A*. I had time to play only because I earned that time to play...

He's/She's only got 5 months left!!! 5 months to prepare for your entire future!! i think its well worth devoting every minute of the day to studying to make sure he gets those As.....and even then I think its a big ask..

(Original post by _anonymousxx)
    I understand what you're implying at but it's impossible to neglect everything. And moreover, it's not like I didn't work hard for it..it just didn't work out.. But yes, thank you for your reply.
    Hopefully, you will get those 3As.

Good luck my friend. You will need it.

ReputationRep:
    This would be OK for someone who does not leave things to the last minute or gets Ds but wants As and wants this to happen in 5 months...He's/She's in a dire situation. He/She needs to take extreme measures.

I got A*A*AA in A-level and i had a reasonable amount of time for fun during those 2 years. To get these grades and have time for other stuff I quiet literally started prepping from day 0 and left nothing to chance. When I finished my AS. I had 3 A*s and I had completed one A-level in my first year for which I got an A*. I had time to play only because I earned that time to play...

He's/She's only got 5 months left!!! 5 months to prepare for your entire future!! i think its well worth devoting every minute of the day to studying to make sure he gets those As.....and even then I think its a big ask..

Hopefully, you will get those 3As.

Good luck my friend. You will need it.
    What were the ways you revised/studied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niyi Aderounmu)
    What were the ways you revised/studied?
    Take these words for what they are worth...if you understand what Ive written here it will help you a lot especially if you're the kind of person who procrastinates or studies by memorising stuff......

I study by understanding things Niyi. Once I understand something I usually don't forget it. I don't study by memorising stuff. I don't revise.

I always prepare for lectures before I attend them. I get hold of the notes from the lecturers or ask them what they will be teaching us. I go over the material in detail before the lecture, which can take a long time because I am very anal about understanding everything in its most minute detail. In A-level this often meant doing a lot of background reading and not sticking to the A-level books recommended by the board or my college. During the lecture the teacher goes over everything. I listen very carefully. I never zone out or sit there looking at my watch waiting for the class to end. I add anything new that he or she says that i missed during my pre-class preparation, to my notes. Then after the lecture I go over everything one last time just to put everything together and make sense of it all. So overall I wind up going over everything three times. So it sticks inside my head. When it comes to the exams. I don't really need to revise because in a way i've been revising all the year. In A-level I got hold of all the past papers I could get hold of and all their answer booklets. I answered all the papers with the exception of a few. Then I went over the model answers and filled in the gaps. Before the exams I redo the papers and i also do the few other papers that I'd left out before just to gauge my understanding and fill any other gaps that I may have. i make my own notes all the time. My notes are always very messy and only i can understand them...but they are usually summaries of the most important points. I never leave anything to the last minute. I start working from day zero and if I can start before day zero I would do that too.. i devote most of my waking day to studying. I enjoy it. I enjoy what I am doing. I LOOOVEEEE IT!!! its fun knowing more than your lecturers and everyone else...it gives you a huge rush...

...i would have got A*A*A* as apposed to just two and two A's in my A-levels had it not been for a mistake from my college that left me with 2 days to do my A2 coursework.... I got a B in it and that messed up my chances at an A* in Biology....I think for all the other modules I got a 100%....it hurt a lot...but what can you do...

P.S. The word 'understanding' is key. You want good grades? don't regurgitate, understand. It makes for a huge difference....but to understand things you need time...and if you don't have time this might not work for you.

ReputationRep:
    Take these words for what they are worth...if you understand what Ive written here it will help you a lot especially if your the kind of person who procrastinates or studies by memorising stuff......

I study by understanding things Niyi. Once I understand something I usually don't forget it. I don't study by memorising stuff. I don't revise.

I always prepare for lectures before I attend them. I get hold of the notes from the lecturers or ask them what they will be teaching us. I go over the material in detail before the lecture, which can take a long time. During the lecture the teacher goes over everything. I listen very carefully. I never zone out or sit there looking at my watch waiting for the class to end. I add anything new that he or she says that i missed during my pre-class preparation, to my notes. Then after the lecturer I go over everything one last time just to make sense of everything. So overall I wind up going over everything three times. I do that for all my lectures throughout the year. In A-level I got hold of all the past papers I could get hold of and I all their answer booklets. I answered all the papers with the exception of a few. Then I went over the model answers and filled in the gaps. Before the exams I redo the papers and i also do the few other papers that I'd left out before just to gauge my understanding and fill any other gaps that I may have. i make my own notes all the time. My notes are always very messy and only i can understand them...but they are usually summaries of the most important points. I never leave anything to the last minute. I start working from day zero and if I can start before day zero I would do that too.. i devote most of my waking day to studying. I enjoy it. I enjoy what I am doing. I LOOOVEEEE IT!!! its fun knowing more than your lecturers and everyone else...it gives you a huge rush...

...i would have got A*A*A* as apposed to just two and two A's in my A-levels had it not been for a mistake from my college that left me with 2 days to do my A2 coursework.... I got a B in it and that messed up my chances at an A* in Biology....I think for all the other modules I got a 100%....it hurt a lot...but what can you do...
    What subjects did you do ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    What subjects did you do ?
    Physics, Chemistry, Biology and a language.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Off the top of my head, an A requires at least 80% UMS. Over 2 years it's 2 X 80 = 160.
    Let's calculate what UMS you need in your A2s to get As overall without retakes:

55 -> 160 - 55 = 105, Impossible without a retake
    53 -> 160 - 53 = 107, Impossible without a retake
    66 -> 160 - 66 = 94, Possible but not sure if worth the risk without a retake

If you seriously need/want AAA, you'll need to consider retaking at least one exam for each subject.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ¡Muy bien!)
    Hi there! Off the top of my head, an A requires at least 80% UMS. Over 2 years it's 2 X 80 = 160.
    Let's calculate what UMS you need in your A2s to get As overall without retakes:

55 -> 160 - 55 = 105, Impossible without a retake
    53 -> 160 - 53 = 107, Impossible without a retake
    66 -> 160 - 66 = 94, Possible but not sure if worth the risk without a retake

If you seriously need/want AAA, you'll need to consider retaking at least one exam for each subject.
    New A-levels Captain here. AS-levels do not count towards one's final A-level grade unless they are doing an old A-level (e.g. Edexcel Government and Politics). Most of the science subjects are new A-levels, as far as I know, so if OP is doing the new A-levels, they do not need to retake any exams. UMS ia not a thing anymore either in the new A-levels.

Thank you so much! xx
    You are welcome!

ReputationRep:
    New A-levels Captain here. AS-levels do not count towards one's final A-level grade unless they are doing an old A-level (e.g. Edexcel Government and Politics). Most of the science subjects are new A-levels, as far as I know, so if OP is doing the new A-levels, they do not need to retake any exams. UMS ia not a thing anymore either in the new A-levels.
    God, I feel old. Thanks for the clarification!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ¡Muy bien!)
    God, I feel old. Thanks for the clarification!
    No problem! Haha, no need to feel old XD The new A-levels started in September 2015 and I just happened to be in the first generation of students who took them Some students still take certain old A-levels (I did Edexcel Government and Politics, for example, while someone in my year happened to take three old A-levels), though the new A-levels make up the majority.

ReputationRep:
    No problem! Haha, no need to feel old XD The new A-levels started in September 2015 and I just happened to be in the first generation of students who took them Some students still take certain old A-levels (I did Edexcel Government and Politics, for example, while someone in my year happened to take three old A-levels), though the new A-levels make up the majority.
    Haha I was joking in a way, I finished my A levels last year

ReputationRep:

You are welcome!
    Heyy, what do you exactly mean by AS-levels do not count to one's final A-level grade? Can you please elaborate on that..? I'm doing CIE A levels..
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Heyy, what do you exactly mean by AS-levels do not count to one's final A-level grade? Can you please elaborate on that..? I'm doing CIE A levels..
    The new A-levels (teaching from 2015) have AS exams, but if you take the subject to A2, you most likely do not take the AS exams. If you sit the AS exams and continue with that subject on to A2, your AS grade will not count towards your A-level grade. So, you can get A in AS and U for the entire A-level; because AS-levels do not matter anymore (unless you do not take them up to A2). Regardless, your school might make you take the AS exams so they know to weed out those who do not do well, just like my school did.

Looking at CIE History from 2015, it seems those who want to take the full A-level still have to take all the exams, so I am not sure if this is also the case for CIE, sorry. (It might be that you have to take all the exams at the end of A2, but I have no idea.) Mine were from Edexcel, AQA, WJEC Eduqas, and OCR.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.