Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Shower in PM is the only correct answer.
    What percentage of the MHoC do you think are virgins?
    But then in hot weather you sweat in your sleep. No thanks.

I assumed it would be somewhere in the 70 - 80%, I suppose. I think that is probably closer to the reality as well. People lie in these sorts of questionnaires even when they are anonymous, so many will lie when they are not.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why, but I actually expected a little more diversity :dontknow:
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    At least one attack helicopter.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Can we get raw data to see how parties compare to each other? Or at the very least can you do a bit of chi-squared yourself to see if there are significant differences between parties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Only half are virgins, that's a shock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's in line with the TSR-wide poll.

I was expecting a much larger portion. But nevertheless, this census makes us all look like shy, white, posh boys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do i look white

(Original post by Life_peer)
    Who are the two that don't live in the UK, by the way?
    I don't live in the UK.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Looks like we reflect RL fairly well, not too surprising given there is a statically significant sample.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How is it statistically significant?

(Original post by ByronicHero)
    A few things:

1) Shower in the AM is obviously correct.
    2) I grew up social class E.
    3) Was also expecting more virgins. Sceptical of 50+ :lol:
    I'm 50+.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)

Do i look white

I don't live in the UK.

I'm 50+.
    Did you take sex to mean any sexual contact, or penetrative? Out of interest.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Do i look white

I don't live in the UK.

I'm 50+.
    As a rule of thumb over 30 starts to become statistically significant, and when I went to school 44>30

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The only real suprise is the number of virgins (though perhaps correlates with being introverts), the number of introverts (seems i'm quite a minority) and the small number of white British.

Not showering before work is also pretty disgusting.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    The high number of Yorkshire users (likely heavily white) will dilute the diversity loving London.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting a much larger portion. But nevertheless, this census makes us all look like shy, white, posh boys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it helps i'm an outgoing plebeian white heterosexual albeit i have been called posh a number of times.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The EU stat should not be a suprise. A majority of MP's backed Brexit here in our referendum including in the Liberals. Looking back at my stats (i recorded as many MP's as possible) it shows that 24 declared for Out, 17 for In.

In percentage terms the Kippers and Liberals were both raging skeptics with all declaring for Out, the Greens all declared for in and Labour was 6-6. The Tories split for Out by 2 to 1.

In numbers, the Tories had the most Euro-skeptic MP's followed by Labour while it was the Greens and Labour who drew for 'In'.

ReputationRep:
    Did you take sex to mean any sexual contact, or penetrative? Out of interest.
    Unless you count only hererosexual vaginal sex or unprotected sex or something like only sex with pure Native Americans count, it's 50+ no matter how you count it.

As a rule of thumb over 30 starts to become statistically significant, and when I went to school 44>30

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's not only reductive, but wrong. There's no one number because significance changes based on the population and sampling method. 30 million Americans surveyed isn't going to give you any significant result on Ugandan demographics, and 30 million Democrats surveyed isn't going to give you a good poll.

30 is more than good enough for MHoC, but it may not even be significant enough to represent all TSR members.

Where did you learn your statistics from?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Unless you count only hererosexual vaginal sex or unprotected sex or something like only sex with pure Native Americans count, it's 50+ no matter how you count it.

That's not only reductive, but wrong. There's no one number because significance changes based on the population and sampling method. 30 million Americans surveyed isn't going to give you any significant result on Ugandan demographics, and 30 million Democrats surveyed isn't going to give you a good poll.

30 is more than good enough for MHoC, but it may not even be significant enough to represent all TSR members.

I see. I ask because if we are counting any sexual encounters then I would probably expect there to be more people reporting the higher numbers. I don't have any specific interest in your sexual history, but I do wonder if the question was open to a little too much interpretation in general :dontknow:

Personally, my number is probably three or four times as high if we are counting all sexual encounters than it is if we are counting only penetration. I imagine this would be the case for quite a few people.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Can you tell me anywhere where I did say that a poll of Americans is useful for Uganda, or are you intentionally being stupid? Are you denying that in the demographics where one would not exepct a major deviation (the major deviation being the likes of gender or age) it is a fairly good reflection of reality? Bar a slightly upward skew (to be expected, not may plebs are interested in politics) social grade works out fairly well, sexuality fits well, geographical distribution is far from awful given the sample, both parts of the politics fits well, ethnicity isn't awful either for only 44, two too many blacks, but Roof isn't around to fix that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If it helps i'm an outgoing plebeian white heterosexual albeit i have been called posh a number of times.
    One in the same if they're the only metrics we're going on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can you tell me anywhere where I did say that a poll of Americans is useful for Uganda, or are you intentionally being stupid? Are you denying that in the demographics where one would not exepct a major deviation (the major deviation being the likes of gender or age) it is a fairly good reflection of reality? Bar a slightly upward skew (to be expected, not may plebs are interested in politics) social grade works out fairly well, sexuality fits well, geographical distribution is far from awful given the sample, both parts of the politics fits well, ethnicity isn't awful either for only 44, two too many blacks, but Roof isn't around to fix that.
    You simply said 30 was the rule of thumb. The reality is 30 is an arbitrary number and you cannot say it's statistically significant just because it's hit 30.

And you're not far from saying an American poll could be representative in Uganda - not all surveyed were UK residents yet you say this can represent all British residents.

This is a totally skewed sample and whether it does reflect the general population is completely irrelevant. You can say it does, but it still doesn't make it statistically significant.

And it's only reflective with your clearly ignoring it when it's not and stretching it to insist it does. On top of the unrepresentative gender and age, nothing actually reflects the general population.

Geographically, Scotland's underrepresented, and both NI and England are overrepresented. London is slightly overrepresented. No UK residents would live outside of the UK, so the 5% outside the UK is indefinitely overrepresented. Without England, Yorkshire and the Humber overrepresented and SE England underrepresented.

Political affiliations are all wrong. Tories underrepresented, Labour and LibDems both greatly overrepresented.

Social grades slightly skewed?

TSR versus UK general population:
    A: 12.2% v 4%
    B: 31.7% v 23%
    C1: 22% v 29%
    C2: 12.2 v 21%
    D: 19.5% v 15%
    E: 2.4% v 8%

The average deviation is 7.1%. Slight?

Sexuality? GP 93.5% straight and here 81%. Fits well? Even within non-striaghts it's not reflective of the British GP.

Brexit a wider margin here.

Ethnicities are all wrong -

TSR v GP:
    Whites: 77.3% v 87.3%
    Blacks 3 times more than GP
    6% South Asians gone.
    Mixed: 9.1% v 1.98%

Like literally nothing reflects the general population, and rightfully so yet you just say it does because you insist it does.

ReputationRep:
    I see. I ask because if we are counting any sexual encounters then I would probably expect there to be more people reporting the higher numbers. I don't have any specific interest in your sexual history, but I do wonder if the question was open to a little too much interpretation in general :dontknow:

Personally, my number is probably three or four times as high if we are counting all sexual encounters than it is if we are counting only penetration. I imagine this would be the case for quite a few people.
    Then what I did was irrelevant because no matter how I counted it the answer would be the same, meaning I didn't have to interpret it one way or another.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Then what I did was irrelevant because no matter how I counted it the answer would be the same, meaning I didn't have to interpret it one way or another.
    Sure, I accept that. I was interested in your perspective and didn't consider that you'd find the idea of sharing it so unpleasant. Whatever floats your boat

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I accept that. I was interested in your perspective and didn't consider that you'd find the idea of sharing it so unpleasant. Whatever floats your boat
    Didn't say I wouldn't share it, only that there's nothing to share because I didn't have to interpret it one way or another.

It's like a vegetarian going to a restaurant, they wouldn't think about choosing between chicken and beef because they would just go and choose the vegetarian option. If you go and ask them if they'd chosen chicken or beef, it would be neither.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Didn't say I wouldn't share it, only that there's nothing to share because I didn't have to interpret it one way or another.

It's like a vegetarian going to a restaurant, they wouldn't think about choosing between chicken and beef because they would just go and choose the vegetarian option. If you go and ask them if they'd chosen chicken or beef, it would be neither.
    Once again, I accept that for you there was no interpretation at the point of responding. Imagine as a thought experiment a world where you hadn't had all of the sex (I know, certainly a darker place) and thus had to interpret the question. How would you have done it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.