Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do students get their placements related to their field of study, or atleast remotely closed to it? A friend of mine studied something Business related and ended up working as a waitress in a restauraunt for her placement year. Would be a waste if I ended up in the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    Do students get their placements related to their field of study, or atleast remotely closed to it? A friend of mine studied something Business related and ended up working as a waitress in a restauraunt for her placement year. Would be a waste if I ended up in the same boat.
    Well from what I know you have to find it yourself so its up to you where you are able to get it - the uni will help you find and prepare for the placement but they certainly won't get you the placement so really its all down to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azizadil1998)
    Well from what I know you have to find it yourself so its up to you where you are able to get it - the uni will help you find and prepare for the placement but they certainly won't get you the placement so really its all down to you
    That's all good in theory, but how is it in reality? Is there a chance of landing a placement atleast close to your course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fadel)
    That's all good in theory, but how is it in reality? Is there a chance of landing a placement atleast close to your course?
    Depends what course. But I'm applying for Economics and you can go into a wide variety of roles so some people I know have gone to do placements in Advisory and Economic or Management Consultancy, or in the Government Economic Service and Office of National Statistics, all of which cannot be anymore relevant to Economics ahah :P But yeah it depends on your course and the career you want to go into afterwards

ReputationRep:
    Before they allow you to go on the placement year most unis will verify that your placement year is relevant to your degree or at least a career that they think it's reasonable for people on your degree to go into e.g. if you got a law placement and were on a STEM degree you'd be expected to do a placement in patent law rather than criminal law. They'll also make sure that you'll get something out of it and that the company hasn't treated their placement students poorly in the past, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.