Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New Job! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!!

I have just got a job as a checkout girl at tescos and tomorrow is my induction day! I was just wondering if any of you knew what to expect or what happens on the first day as such? Has anyone had an induction with Tescos or another supermarket? Please let me know!! Thanks!!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkly_tiara)
    Hey everyone!!

I have just got a job as a checkout girl at tescos and tomorrow is my induction day! I was just wondering if any of you knew what to expect or what happens on the first day as such? Has anyone had an induction with Tescos or another supermarket? Please let me know!! Thanks!!

Lou
    xxx
    They introduce you to the ever present beep sound, and swipe technqiues.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right! The thing is, at the interview i was introduced to all that for an hour under something called my "work trial" so i am kinda confused as to why they would do this again!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Heh, 'training' - I was shown how to do cards/cash ect once and had a pratice then I was thrown on the tills. Then they wonder why I have to ask for help...

My 'induction' was with other people my age (but they were all for different departments) you watch videos and fill in booklets...it's like a really, really bad/long version of PSE

But this isn't at Tesco's - where I hear they give you decent training.

ReputationRep:
    You will be shown around the store, shown where things are and you will spend a an hour watching health and safety videos (which are quite funny). You will probably spend the afternoon at the tills with someone, while they show you what to do.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!!

Lou
    xxx
    well done, congrats on getting the job... are you stil going to uni in sept/oct? or going into 6th form?... cos nearly all these supermarkets rejected me based on the fact that i wasnt coming back home on the weekends

ReputationRep:
    Well done on the job!

Um..sorry can I ask you a question instead?

Did you say you wanted a job for the summer, or did you just apply and negotiate the summer part later? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like great fun! thanks for giving me an insight everyone and knowing what to expect!!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    well done, congrats on getting the job... are you stil going to uni in sept/oct? or going into 6th form?... cos nearly all these supermarkets rejected me based on the fact that i wasnt coming back home on the weekends
    Same here, that was so frustrating but I can see their point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    I have just left school and entering my local college to do my A levels... Im doing one shift on saturday (6am till 12noon) and an evening (monday 6 till 9.30pm) during term time. I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with job hunting, my luck was the same, just keep trying and someone will take you on as you seem like a lovely person!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    Well done on the job!

Um..sorry can I ask you a question instead?

Did you say you wanted a job for the summer, or did you just apply and negotiate the summer part later? Cheers
    I gave them a covering letter with my CV explaining that i was a student and was willing to work at weekends and one shift during the evening weekdays and said i would be interested in overtime during the holidays and they said that was fine!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I gave them a covering letter with my CV explaining that i was a student and was willing to work at weekends and one shift during the evening weekdays and said i would be interested in overtime during the holidays and they said that was fine!

Lou
    xxx

Ahh I see. Thank you, that's twice you've helped me today, hula hoop lady!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    Ahh I see. Thank you, that's twice you've helped me today, hula hoop lady!
    I like the new name! And no worries, i'm glad i was able to help you! Have fun finding your hula hoop and getting a job! Hey, perhaps you could get a job as a professional hula hoopist!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I have just left school and entering my local college to do my A levels... Im doing one shift on saturday (6am till 12noon) and an evening (monday 6 till 9.30pm) during term time. I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with job hunting, my luck was the same, just keep trying and someone will take you on as you seem like a lovely person!

Lou
    xxx
    not that i am REALLY a lovely person lolll, but even if i was they wouldnt give me a job, i think they really want people who are in a position like yourself, where you basically are in effect having a year round commitment instead of just a "straight 2/3 months and then leave" one. and well to be honest i dont really blame them apart from the fact that i would give 100% work if only for about 3 months.

for anyone else who is at uni at the moment: is it possible to juggle uni assignments, social life and job at the same time?? im hopefully going to do medicine so uni work is going to be a lot..

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.