Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to reapply to uni's again this year but I cant use my old account. Is it possible for me to use the same personal statement that I wrote last year, or at least use some of sentences or do I have to write a brand new statement.

Thanks in advance
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I believe you need a new account. You can reuse your old statement without getting into trouble but it's generally a good idea to write a new PS to show that you've done something with your time off. Make sure the statement is relevant to your current situation.

ReputationRep:
    I assume what you are saying is that you applied last application cycle? If was this application cycle you can't apply again until the next one to start uni in 2018.
    If you meant that you applied last time and you want to apply again this time then you will need a whole new personal statement otherwise ucas will detect it is plagiarised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ncpereira1)
    I want to reapply to uni's again this year but I cant use my old account. Is it possible for me to use the same personal statement that I wrote last year, or at least use some of sentences or do I have to write a brand new statement.

Thanks in advance
    If I remember correctly, (from what I've heard) you'd need to write a brand new personal statement, otherwise UCAS will detect self-plagiarism..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by HarrietHarry)
    If you meant that you applied last time and you want to apply again this time then you will need a whole new personal statement otherwise ucas will detect it is plagiarised
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    If I remember correctly, (from what I've heard) you'd need to write a brand new personal statement, otherwise UCAS will detect self-plagiarism..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Untrue unfortunately. Yes the statement will get picked up for self-plagiarism but that's not an issue with UCAS statements so it won't get flagged up to unis.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ohhello92x)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This isn't correct.

The software will flag up a match but before any universities are informed the match is checked by a human being - who will see that the match is to the OPs previous application and will take things no further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    This isn't correct.

The software will flag up a match but before any universities are informed the match is checked by a human being - who will see that the match is to the OPs previous application and will take things no further.
    ah fair enough, couldn't remember from when I'd done my UCAS application

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Untrue unfortunately. Yes the statement will get picked up for self-plagiarism but that's not an issue with UCAS statements so it won't get flagged up to unis.
    Ah fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just a point.

I re-used my personal statement for all three of my applications, merely changing and adding bits to show what I had done in the time between applications. It's not plagiarism if you're using your own work. And it's perfectly acceptable to re-use your own personal statement for subsequent applications as long as it's your own work. It's UCAS that checks for plagiarism, not the universities. There's no point in re-writing your personal statement every time you have to apply, not only is this a waste of what could have been a brilliant personal statement, but it's also your own work, so as long as you edit it to show what you've done between applications then it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 11, 2017

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.