Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IAL jan 2017 unit one chemistry Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helper OF ALL)
    in the MCQ there was 1 question magnesium nitride .. Was the answer C or D....
    What was the question again ? I don't remember it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaylaM99)
    What was the question again ? I don't remember it
    it was about lattice enthalpy 4 equations were given etc

ReputationRep:
    it was about lattice enthalpy 4 equations were given etc
    Oh I think I chose D.

ReputationRep:
    The answer I chose for the Magnesium Nitride question had Mg3N2 in the solid state as a product. I think it was.. D?

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think the grade boundary will be like?

ReputationRep:
    What about why butane is not a suitable fuel? And the jumps in the ionization graph?

ReputationRep:
    I'm retaking this exam because my grade was **** last year and i prepared so much but nothing came in the exam :bawling::bawling::bawling:
    there was no definitions, no mechanisms, no ionisation energy, alkanes and alkenes instead we got CYCLOHEXANE thats barely in the syllabus.

what was logs doing in there???? the whole exam was basically maths omg. Calculating percentage abundance (i just did trial and error for that question), Some random power and time **** and LOOGGSSS ugggghhh. *****iest chemistry exam ever. I dont want to do it a third time :bawling::banghead:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMaskedLady)
    I'm retaking this exam because my grade was **** last year and i prepared so much but nothing came in the exam :bawling::bawling::bawling:
    there was no definitions, no mechanisms, no ionisation energy, alkanes and alkenes instead we got CYCLOHEXANE thats barely in the syllabus.

what was logs doing in there???? the whole exam was basically maths omg. Calculating percentage abundance (i just did trial and error for that question), Some random power and time **** and LOOGGSSS ugggghhh. *****iest chemistry exam ever. I dont want to do it a third time :bawling::banghead:
    I wish I would have done the exam in January. I'm good at calculations and love it when it comes in chemistry paper. I love organic chemistry as well. I hate definitions, ionisation energies, reaction mechanisms, IR spectroscopy and stuff. But I'm actually taking my AS exam in May.

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys answer why propane was a better fuel than butane ? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurorataweel)
    What did you guys answer why propane was a better fuel than butane ? :/
    I said since butane has more number of carbon atom than that of propane, so combustion of propane will give more sooty flame, more co2 will be emitted and co2 is greenhouse gas that may cause damage to the environment.
    Also butane needs more oxygen for combustion than that of propane, hence it is will be easier to get incomplete combustion that made the fuel less efficient.
    I think I get zero mark from this. Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igcse1student)
    Did you get the estimate for 1 ionization and 19 ionization energy
    yeah i think you have to take the bases of ten because the bases were not indicated. so (if i remember correctly) for the first ionization energy the y axis read 2.7.
    log(ionization energy) = 2.7
    so 10^2.7 = 501.2 kjmol^-1

and assuming for the 19th ionization energy the y axis read 5.7
    log(ionization energy) = 5.7
    so 10^5.7 = 501187.2 kjmol^-1

I am not sure if my method is right or wrong though. but if you have any ideas please let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banana895)
    yeah i think you have to take the bases of ten because the bases were not indicated. so (if i remember correctly) for the first ionization energy the y axis read 2.7.
    log(ionization energy) = 2.7
    so 10^2.7 = 501.2 kjmol^-1

and assuming for the 19th ionization energy the y axis read 5.7
    log(ionization energy) = 5.7
    so 10^5.7 = 501187.2 kjmol^-1

I am not sure if my method is right or wrong though. but if you have any ideas please let me know
    Your method is absolutely correct . I took values of 2.6 and 5.6 but I'm sure there's a range.

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys find the physics exam? I thought it was horrible, the questions themselves were kind of okay but there were so many calculations and each question had 4 marks on it, like why? I started writing just to fill up the space... I think it was kinda bad.

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys find the physics exam? I thought it was horrible, the questions themselves were kind of okay but there were so many calculations and each question had 4 marks on it, like why? I started writing just to fill up the space... I think it was kinda bad.
    i found it pretty much easy....but lengthy......

what do u think gb will be

ReputationRep:
    i found it pretty much easy....but lengthy......

what do u think gb will be
    I have no idea, I'm hoping for low grade boundaries.
    What's your next exam?

ReputationRep:
    What's your next exam?
    my exams are over............................ .......................
    mostly New AS students apply for 2 subjects ...phy and chem unit 1.both..

how much can u score in phy...

ReputationRep:
    my exams are over............................ .......................
    mostly New AS students apply for 2 subjects ...phy and chem unit 1.both..

how much can u score in phy...
    Oh alright, we were allowed four.
    Im not sure I understand what you mean.. I got a C last time so I'm resetting it to try and better my grade.

ReputationRep:
    What's your next exam?
    I did the exam today and i can honestly say it was the hardest from any of the pastpapers i did. A lot of difficult maths and explanations!

Plus there were no vector diagrams, turbulent/laminar flow, stokes law, etc

I think imo that the grade boundaries will be the lowest ever. So far the lowest I've seen has been 50/80 for an A. I think the gb for this exam will be similar maybe 48/49. What do u guys think??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by examhater44)
    I did the exam today and i can honestly say it was the hardest from any of the pastpapers i did. A lot of difficult maths and explanations!

Plus there were no vector diagrams, turbulent/laminar flow, stokes law, etc

I think imo that the grade boundaries will be the lowest ever. So far the lowest I've seen has been 50/80 for an A. I think the gb for this exam will be similar maybe 48/49. What do u guys think??
    Yeah I totally agree with you, I've done every past paper I can get my hands on and it was nothing like it.

I really hope that they'll be really low

ReputationRep:
    in the MCQ there was 1 question magnesium nitride .. Was the answer C or D....
    I put D. what about you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.