Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to university this year or taking a gap year to resit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently I've got offers for Lancaster (finance) ABB, Queens Belfast (Economics) ABB and Heriot Watt (Economics) ABB. The problem is, I'm not sure as to whether it would be better to take one of the offers or take a gap year to resit and possibly try for better (Bath etc). I'm aware resitting could make my application less competitive but part of me just isn't happy with the situation at the minute. Am I overreacting and taking it too seriously or is there a big enough difference that it could be worth it? Would the difference between say Bath and Lancaster be great enough to warrant an extra year for the chance?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Why are you not happy with the current situation? Is it just that you're looking at the uni names and are worried about them or are you genuinely worried about doing the wrong course for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Why are you not happy with the current situation? Is it just that you're looking at the uni names and are worried about them or are you genuinely worried about doing the wrong course for you?
    Partly both, my aim after uni is corporate finance and I understand that many firms are quite selective (targeting a specific set of universities) making it difficult for others.

It doesn't really feel suit me either, Lancaster is the closest to what I would like due to its amazing campus etc but it's too quiet, the trend on TSR seems to be that it doesn't really have many things happening. For that reason I think a city would be more suitable for me.

I think up until this point I've underperformed in regards to what I am capable of, partly due to lack of effort at the beginning and partly due to other circumstances. I just don't know if I'm being pedantic and being willing to put in a lot of effort to not really improve much or if it could make a much of a difference to things as I feel
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes some firms can be selective but if you have a good degree and are persistent that won't stand in your way. The bigger problem is whether the course is what you want to do or not. Don't do one for the sake of it and if you're not happy with what you've picked it's a good idea to reconsider. Equally, don't pick a uni because it's too quiet or not unless you've visited and don't see yourself being happy there. Everyone is different and has different preferences and TSR is only a small proportion of the population!

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to jump in here to introduce myself, my name is Keir and I work at Heriot-Watt, we have this official rep account to support you through your decision making. So if you need to know anything about Heriot-Watt, I can help.

I totally understand where you are coming from and can I say in the first instance, it is normal to be worried about this decision. After all it is a massive decision in your life. That is why we are here to support and advise.

With regards to Heriot-Watt we are fortunate to be located within Edinburgh (where there are lots of financial companies based) so if you are looking for internships etc we have great links with industry. We also have an interesting set up for student lifestyle too, we are on a campus on the outskirts of the city centre, so it is nice and relaxing on campus however you are only 30 mins by bus to one of the greatest cities in the UK (I am a little biased though!)

What I would always advise is come for a visit... to any uni your are considering, and if it doesn't feel right then it might be best to take a gap year and think again... however if you turn up to HWU or Lancaster or Queens and fall in love with the place then trust your gut feeling!

If you have any other questions about HWU then feel free to ask us here or head over to our forums where there are many discussion points you may be interested in.

Good luck with your application and decision making
    Cheers,
    Keir

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.