Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

need to clarify on newton's 3rd law plz Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so i saw a question unit 1 GCE may 2015 17 (b)
    it required us to explain why holding on to a vertical stand would prevent the passenger falling backwards, so,the answer talked about newton's 3rd law first because as the arm acts on the train the train acts on the arm,3rd law pairs are supposed to be of equal magnitude,im wondering why they said there WAS a resultant force because the passenger was accelerating with the train. Where did the extra force come from? Cause if the forces are of the same magnitude,then why cant we say theyre cancelling out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah99630)
    so i saw a question unit 1 GCE may 2015 17 (b)
    it required us to explain why holding on to a vertical stand would prevent the passenger falling backwards, so,the answer talked about newton's 3rd law first because as the arm acts on the train the train acts on the arm,3rd law pairs are supposed to be of equal magnitude,im wondering why they said there WAS a resultant force because the passenger was accelerating with the train. Where did the extra force come from? Cause if the forces are of the same magnitude,then why cant we say theyre cancelling out?
    It may be good that you post the whole question or a link. Don't really follow your explanation.

Newton third law pair of forces are equal in magnitudes but opposite in direction. They don't "cancel" each other because the forces are acting on two different bodies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)
    It may be good that you post the whole question or a link. Don't really follow your explanation.

Newton third law pair of forces are equal in magnitudes but opposite in direction. They don't "cancel" each other because the forces are acting on two different bodies.
    hmm what if its me pushing someone and someone pushes me with the same force, i wouldnt move right? Is that the same case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah99630)
    hmm what if its me pushing someone and someone pushes me with the same force, i wouldnt move right? Is that the same case
    Not really the same case but have something in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)
    Not really the same case but have something in common.
    Oh alright, thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.