Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a split between the two. Anybody with experiences of either subject let me know what it entails and what it's like??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whoisme)
    I'm in a split between the two. Anybody with experiences of either subject let me know what it entails and what it's like??
    Hey! I do both. I studied sociology for GCSE and I'm really really interested in politics.

Sociology does have many political and social aspects in it, for each topic we look at how class, gender, age and ethnicity, sometimes region, affect areas of our lives (for example, our health, our education, what our family is like etc)
    It is really interesting and is often classed as easier than politics but I guess it depends on your teachers (I have the same teacher for both subjects). In sociology there is a lot of learning about different sociological theorists and how to apply these to your answers in exams, which is great if you're good at remembering stuff.
    I find sociology really interesting and pretty easy, but I did it for GCSE so I may be biased (there's a lot of overlap) however you aren't at any disadvantage if you did do it for GCSE, most schools don't offer it.

Politics I love so will probably be a little biased. I'm in year 12 so haven't covered loads of the material yet (Also I do AS/A2 politics in the old system, it's probably changed for you), but it is interesting.
    A lot of the 1st year of politics is about the machinery of it all, how it works. So that includes electoral systems, how people vote, pressure groups, ideologies and party politics. Even if you aren't necessarily interested in politics now, you may later find it really is, I know a lot of people in my class took it as they didn't really know what else to take and are now really enjoying it.
    The essay structure is basically the same as sociology but there is more kind of analytical/pros and cons work in longer exam questions. But you still have to know your concepts!

Both include lots of writing and analysing, but they are my favourite subjects. Politics is good if you are also studying history/want to study law/economics. I'd say sociology is better if you are doing psychology/philosophy/social care. What subjects are you also doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epage)
    Hey! I do both. I studied sociology for GCSE and I'm really really interested in politics.

Sociology does have many political and social aspects in it, for each topic we look at how class, gender, age and ethnicity, sometimes region, affect areas of our lives (for example, our health, our education, what our family is like etc)
    It is really interesting and is often classed as easier than politics but I guess it depends on your teachers (I have the same teacher for both subjects). In sociology there is a lot of learning about different sociological theorists and how to apply these to your answers in exams, which is great if you're good at remembering stuff.
    I find sociology really interesting and pretty easy, but I did it for GCSE so I may be biased (there's a lot of overlap) however you aren't at any disadvantage if you did do it for GCSE, most schools don't offer it.

Politics I love so will probably be a little biased. I'm in year 12 so haven't covered loads of the material yet (Also I do AS/A2 politics in the old system, it's probably changed for you), but it is interesting.
    A lot of the 1st year of politics is about the machinery of it all, how it works. So that includes electoral systems, how people vote, pressure groups, ideologies and party politics. Even if you aren't necessarily interested in politics now, you may later find it really is, I know a lot of people in my class took it as they didn't really know what else to take and are now really enjoying it.
    The essay structure is basically the same as sociology but there is more kind of analytical/pros and cons work in longer exam questions. But you still have to know your concepts!

Both include lots of writing and analysing, but they are my favourite subjects. Politics is good if you are also studying history/want to study law/economics. I'd say sociology is better if you are doing psychology/philosophy/social care. What subjects are you also doing?
    I've not completely decided my subjects yet, but I'm definitely doing English Literature, and then maybe Economics and History.
    I am and always have been pretty interested in Politics, and I love intellectual discussion on it, which I am told features heavily in the classroom. I never really thought of Sociology as an option until I went to a Sixth Form open evening and some of the students there really sold it to me and said they really loved it.
    Which is the most enjoyable subject, in your opinion? And which is easier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whoisme)
    I've not completely decided my subjects yet, but I'm definitely doing English Literature, and then maybe Economics and History.
    I am and always have been pretty interested in Politics, and I love intellectual discussion on it, which I am told features heavily in the classroom. I never really thought of Sociology as an option until I went to a Sixth Form open evening and some of the students there really sold it to me and said they really loved it.
    Which is the most enjoyable subject, in your opinion? And which is easier?
    I do english literature as well and it fits well with both subjects. If you are doing economics/history and you're interested in it then I'd suggest politics. I'm only in first year, and I love politics at the moment even though the subject content is slightly boring, we have enough discussion on current events to make up for it.
    Sociology may be more interesting at the moment for me because it's familiar from GCSE and because I my class is fun.
    Both do feature some level of intellectual discussion (depends on the teacher though) but politics does feature it more heavily in relation to current affairs, sociology is often about more social issues relating to equality.
    I'd say both are similar in terms of difficulty, as they have the same essay structure and similar exam papers but there are many people in my sociology who took it because they didn't get grades high enough for other subjects.
    I love them both so its difficult to compare them!! If you want to know more about politics, why trump won, why brexit happened, how we elect mp's, who's more likely to vote for each party, etc, go for politics. I
    f you want to know more about how society works, what effect certain factors (class, age, gender, ethnicity) have on different aspects of society, health, education, our family, crime in society, the media, etc, AND are also interested in the different research methods to gain data, (this part can be boring), such as sampling types and types of data, do sociology.
    By the other subjects you mentioned, maybe go for politics I'd say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.