Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My daughter has got an open offer from Pembroke today to read English Lit - how likely is it she will go to that college ? Also she has been told she was scholarship standard for Merton College choir - is it possible she can still be a choral scholar there whilst at a different college ? We are all on cloud 9 needless to say - anywhere is fantastic at Oxford !
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Loulou1965)
    My daughter has got an open offer from Pembroke today to read English Lit - how likely is it she will go to that college ? Also she has been told she was scholarship standard for Merton College choir - is it possible she can still be a choral scholar there whilst at a different college ? We are all on cloud 9 needless to say - anywhere is fantastic at Oxford !
    I do not know about choral scholars, however in terms of the open offer, she is as likely to end up there as any other college, but if Pembroke ends up having a place open, I am sure that your daughter will be one of the first they turn to.

Congratulations to your daughter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    I do not know about choral scholars, however in terms of the open offer, she is as likely to end up there as any other college, but if Pembroke ends up having a place open, I am sure that your daughter will be one of the first they turn to.

Congratulations to your daughter
    Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    Thank you !
    Thanks for your reply so I guess it could be any College then ? We will wait and see !

ReputationRep:
    Choral scholars have to spend a fair bit of time performing in their college chapel, often including services/performances outside of normal term dates, so it's not possible to hold a choral scholarship at a different college to the one you are a member of. Details here. But I guess your daughter hasn't actually been awarded a scholarship as yet?

As you say, it's frustrating having to wait to discover which college is going to be your home, but many congratulations in any case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    Choral scholars have to spend a fair bit of time performing in their college chapel, often including services/performances outside of normal term dates, so it's not possible to hold a choral scholarship at a different college to the one you are a member of. Details here. But I guess your daughter hasn't actually been awarded a scholarship as yet?

As you say, it's frustrating having to wait to discover which college is going to be your home, but many congratulations in any case.
    Thanks for that - is Carole nursing as it says on the Merton website some of their singers are from other colleges - but that may mean you join the choir but not as a scholar ?

ReputationRep:
    Confusing even !

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that - is Carole nursing as it says on the Merton website some of their singers are from other colleges - but that may mean you join the choir but not as a scholar ?
    That's my understanding; you can join a choir at another college - not all colleges have proper choirs - but you can't hold a choral scholarship there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.