Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My daughter has got an open offer from Pembroke today to read English Lit - how likely is it she will go to that college ? Also she has been told she was scholarship standard for Merton College choir - is it possible she can still be a choral scholar there whilst at a different college ? We are all on cloud 9 needless to say - anywhere is fantastic at Oxford !
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Loulou1965)
    My daughter has got an open offer from Pembroke today to read English Lit - how likely is it she will go to that college ? Also she has been told she was scholarship standard for Merton College choir - is it possible she can still be a choral scholar there whilst at a different college ? We are all on cloud 9 needless to say - anywhere is fantastic at Oxford !
    I do not know about choral scholars, however in terms of the open offer, she is as likely to end up there as any other college, but if Pembroke ends up having a place open, I am sure that your daughter will be one of the first they turn to.

Congratulations to your daughter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    I do not know about choral scholars, however in terms of the open offer, she is as likely to end up there as any other college, but if Pembroke ends up having a place open, I am sure that your daughter will be one of the first they turn to.

Congratulations to your daughter
    Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    Thank you !
    Thanks for your reply so I guess it could be any College then ? We will wait and see !

ReputationRep:
    Choral scholars have to spend a fair bit of time performing in their college chapel, often including services/performances outside of normal term dates, so it's not possible to hold a choral scholarship at a different college to the one you are a member of. Details here. But I guess your daughter hasn't actually been awarded a scholarship as yet?

As you say, it's frustrating having to wait to discover which college is going to be your home, but many congratulations in any case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    Choral scholars have to spend a fair bit of time performing in their college chapel, often including services/performances outside of normal term dates, so it's not possible to hold a choral scholarship at a different college to the one you are a member of. Details here. But I guess your daughter hasn't actually been awarded a scholarship as yet?

As you say, it's frustrating having to wait to discover which college is going to be your home, but many congratulations in any case.
    Thanks for that - is Carole nursing as it says on the Merton website some of their singers are from other colleges - but that may mean you join the choir but not as a scholar ?

ReputationRep:
    Confusing even !

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that - is Carole nursing as it says on the Merton website some of their singers are from other colleges - but that may mean you join the choir but not as a scholar ?
    That's my understanding; you can join a choir at another college - not all colleges have proper choirs - but you can't hold a choral scholarship there.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.