The Student Room Group

Engineering placements and apprenticeships

Hello guys,

I'm currently in my final year doing engineering with management. Do you guys have any ideas as to how I could secure a placement or apprenticeship within an engineering field? I've been trying with Gradcracker and RateMyPlacement. One point to note is that I don't have any previous job experience so do you think I should take up a part time job, get some experience first and then apply?I'm really confused and need help. Thanks for your help.
Original post by SherMat10
Hello guys,

I'm currently in my final year doing engineering with management. Do you guys have any ideas as to how I could secure a placement or apprenticeship within an engineering field? I've been trying with Gradcracker and RateMyPlacement. One point to note is that I don't have any previous job experience so do you think I should take up a part time job, get some experience first and then apply?I'm really confused and need help. Thanks for your help.

If you're in your final year then you should be looking at graduate level jobs. You don't necessarily need to have had previous experience to get such a position, although given the competition it comes in handy. If you can get a placement, that's okay too, although they're mainly aimed at those in their penultimate year or below.

Apply to graduate jobs at the moment, since they won't be expecting you to start until you graduate. If you do not manage to secure anything by the time you graduate, you may also want to look for any other types of work so that you have an income.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SherMat10
Hello guys,

Hiya, you're doing a qualification in that field and you have an interest in engineering; these will provide you with good grounding; work experience is always a bonus but it isn't the main thing which is required. Have you registered on gov.uk? ALL live apprenticeship vacancies are on here, there are up to 28,000 on at any one time. If you create an account this will allow you to put your preferences in such as location and industry and you can receive text alerts when an apprenticeship in your criteria comes up. It sounds like you're doing all the right things; there are some cracking engineering apprenticeships out there so get registered here https://www.gov.uk/topic/further-education-skills/apprenticeships and start applying. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
The type of work you would now be seeking, I doubt an apprenticeship would be well suited to you. You'd be taking a backwards step in terms of qualification, and doing something less related to your degree, getting into something hands on. Given you'd have a degree already, you'd be unable to apply for degree apprenticeships, so would be looking at advanced level.

Best bet, as Smack said, is to look at grad jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending