Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    What I do for 13-markers is do subheadings with bullets for each so structure, instrumentation and texture, harmony and tonality, melody, rhythm and metre and try and aim for a total of 11 points with bar references.

structure
    point 1 (illustration)
    point 2 (illustration

instrumentation and texture
    point 1 (illustration)
    point 2 (illustration)

etc
    Is that just for your answer plan or do you genuinely write sub headers as part of your answer? Like that idea, but isn't it a bit formulaic? Or do they not mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogree)
    Is that just for your answer plan or do you genuinely write sub headers as part of your answer? Like that idea, but isn't it a bit formulaic? Or do they not mind?
    It's what I did last year for the stylistic questions and I missed only 1 mark on the one where I did that so I don't think they mind xD I agree though, it could appear as formulaic.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the audio for the past papers is available online at all? Finding it hard to practice the listening questions

ReputationRep:
    Think I'm just not gonna revise the Tettey Addy at this stage and go for the other ones, got a good feeling it won't come up too since it's a bit niche and it came up last time round this set was in the papers.

Just gonna brainstorm some things down for the Comparison Question in the Listening if you have any ideas based on what's been mentioned in previous mark schemes.

Melodic points to listen for - Conjunct, Repeated Figures, Sequences, you can talk about Tonality, Chromaticism, Scalic, Ornamentation
    Rhythmic points - Syncopation, Dotted Rhythms, Rubato, Triplets, Accents, On-beat rhythms, Slurrings, Pauses, Augmentation
    Harmonic points - Pedal Notes, Appoggiaturas, Suspensions, Circle of Fifths
    Textural points - Polarised, Polyphonic, Homophonic, Heterophonic, Continuo, Fugal, Imitation, Four-Parts, Chords, Octaves, Unison, Countermelody,
    Instrumentation Points - Doubling Parts, Pitch Ranges, Solos in which Parts

ReputationRep:
    For melody, they sometimes look at the writing of the voices, in which case the type of singers and the contour (arch-like, expansive, ascending v descending) is useful.
    Harmony can also be non-functional like the Debussy comparison question where added 7ths/9ths and 7th chords were a feature. If it's a listening related to Shostakovich, non-functionality might feature (although functional is more common).
    Texture can be monophonic.

Of course, many of the features have their opposites (eg conjunct/disjunct, homophonic/polyphonic, dotted rhythms/straight rhythms etc).

Otherwise, I don't have anything to add - very thorough list!

ReputationRep:
    Guys to get an A* do you have to get an A* for every module or is it just the overall mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicalmedic)
    Guys to get an A* do you have to get an A* for every module or is it just the overall mark?
    Overall all three A2 modules ie if you get full marks on one paper and say in the mid/low 80s for another you could still get A*

ReputationRep:
    Overall all three A2 modules ie if you get full marks on one paper and say in the mid/low 80s for another you could still get A*
    Ah ok thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Think I'm just not gonna revise the Tettey Addy at this stage and go for the other ones, got a good feeling it won't come up too since it's a bit niche and it came up last time round this set was in the papers.
    I'm doing this with the Rag I think, praying that it won't come up/the other question's good and it was in the 2012 paper anyway and is also a bit niche so here's hoping!!

Thanks for that list by the way it's really helpful 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any thoughts as to what setworks will come up for the 13 or 36 markers?

ReputationRep:
    here's a pretty good site i've used for some last minute melodic dictation practice: http://www.teoria.com/en/exercises/md.php

i just wish i could find something that gives you the passage in context with the rest of the music, so it's more like the actual exam

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd do a definition list since I forget a lot
    Cori Spezzatti - split chorus
    Stile Concertato - interaction of one or more groups of instruments or voices
    Monody - Melody and Continuo Accompaniment
    Melisma - Group of notes sung to one syllable
    Homorhythm - All parts playing same rhythm
    Heterophony - Simultaneous Variation of a Melody (Two instruments playing melody - one does it with ornaments)
    Du talon - Heel of the bow
    Chalumeau Register - low clarinet register
    Non-diegetic - Music for atmosphere not within the scene
    Additive Rhythm - Splits Bar into Parts
    Neopolitan 6th Chord - Chord built upon Flattened 2nd of a scale (e.g. in C Minor, Db Major normally First inv)
    Augmented 6th Chord - e.g. Mozart Bar 80
    False Relation - Successive or Simultaneous Chromatic Forms of the Same Note (e.g. G# G natural)
    Con Sord - With Mutes
    Rhythmic Augmentation - Extending Rhythmic Lengths of a Motif
    Rhythmic Dimunition - Lessening Rhythmic Lengths of a Motif
    Antiphony - Call and Response Groups
    Layered Texture - Multiple Themes used simultaneously (e.g. Berlioz Chords)Harmonic Rhythm - Rate of Harmonic Change
    Micro-Macrocosmic Structure - Small-scale structure of phrases mirror large-scale Structure of Sonata
    Ostinato - Repeated phrase / rhythmic figure

Rag - Organisation of 5-7 notes of an Indian "that"
    That - Indian Scale
    Meend - Glide from one note to another (Rag)
    Shruti - Microtones
    Tala - Rhythmic pattern
    Tintal - Specific Rhythmic pattern used in Rag
    Mukhra - Melodic Phrase (I think)
    Tan - Scalic Figures

I believe in Rag Bhairav, you're allowed to interchangeably use English words for the same Indian meaning - one of the mark schemes indicate the words "Slide" for Meend and "Scales" for Tan are fine so i wouldn't worry too much if you don't know them.

ReputationRep:
    Five words to immediately think of for each of the Sections

Harmony - Cadences, Suspensions, Pedals, Functional, Dissonance
    Melody - Conjunct, Ornamentation, Motifs, Inversion, Sequences
    Structure - Repetition, Cadences, Motifs, Form, Differences
    Texture - Parts, Thickness, Accompaniment, Melody, Drones
    Rhythm - Syncopation, Tempo, Rests, Dotted, Note Lengths
    Tonality - Circle of Fifths, Modulations, Cadences, Dominant Prep, Chromaticism

Did a rap to try remember lol https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6i...w?usp=drivesdk

ReputationRep:
    Mukhra - Melodic Phrase (I think)
    Notes are a little weird for Rag not gonna lie but on one of the mark schemes it called mukhra "cadential formula".

ReputationRep:
    Notes are a little weird for Rag not gonna lie but on one of the mark schemes it called mukhra "cadential formula".
    Literally the vaguest definition i have ever heard in my entire life looool

ReputationRep:
    Literally the vaguest definition i have ever heard in my entire life looool
    ikr lmao, sometimes I feel they get a little creative in their descriptions (eg the E natural in the Shostakovich they describe as an "isolated moment of brightness" in the notes)

ReputationRep:
    Good luck today everyone, let's smash it!! Xo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes team!! GL

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find it? I had to guess chords A and B after the dictation because I missed all 5 times...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have perfect pitch and remember the dictation? Bit of a long shot but an unofficial markscheme would be good xD (or recognise the pieces)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.