The Student Room Group

Are you allowed to keep kettles and toasters in your bedrooms?

Just wondering since i'll be sharing the kitchen with 15 other people and apparently it's very small. So i don't want to use it unless it's necessary. I wonder if i can just make breakfast i.e toast and coffee in my own room as we have our own mini fridges. Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it really depends on the University. Do you not have any documentation from your Uni?
Would they not be classed as fire hazards?

I really want a mini fridge. How much do they cost?
Reply 3
Andy Pipkin

I believe you are right, they are classed as a fire hazard and would not be allowed.

There is also a chance of them setting off the fire alarm whenever you use them.
Reply 4
We aren't allowed anything over 300 watts
Reply 5
Whats all this about?

You've paid so much for accomdation (well in my case, because it was London) then screw the fire hazards.

I'll tell you now, there were 2 kettles in the main kitchen, and there were 9 housemates sharing that kitchen, I nipped one into my room and told the others to use just the 1 and they agreed (somehow) and I used to make/have my breakfast, lunch in my room. Also I used to smoke constantly (in my room) at the time.
Reply 6
Check the accommodation paperwork from your uni - these things vary from place to place.
I got the accomodation booklet and read the whole thing again carefully and it ended up we can't do that! So i guess i have to walk all the way to the tiny kitchen, get out my kettle from my storage area every time i want a cup of coffee :frown:.
Pencil King
Whats all this about?

You've paid so much for accomdation (well in my case, because it was London) then screw the fire hazards.

I'll tell you now, there were 2 kettles in the main kitchen, and there were 9 housemates sharing that kitchen, I nipped one into my room and told the others to use just the 1 and they agreed (somehow) and I used to make/have my breakfast, lunch in my room. Also I used to smoke constantly (in my room) at the time.

i'm going to be in London too and the accomodation they're offering is really not worth the amount i have to pay. I might just keep a little kettle in my room anyway... maybe keep it in the cupboard since i'm bringing my own!
Reply 9
Mini fridges I think are allowed at Sheffield, although I'm still waiting for my accomodation so not 100% on that. They are not in most Unis though.
Reply 10
mini fridges are allowed at liveperpool too..they probs dnt allow them as they take quite alot of electricity as they on constantly....
Andy Pipkin

I want a mini fridge too but I don't think i'm allowed. In my uni booklet it says 'you are only allowed a fridge for medical reasons' :frown: and you have to provide proof of the medical reason etc
Reply 12
You say get your kettle out from storage do they not provide a kettle in the kitchen? Also whats this about fire hazards, I get a full sized fridge in my bedroom as standard.
Reply 13
I kept a kettle in my room at Nottingham last year without any problems.
Reply 14
Pencil King

Thats not fair though.

Why should nine other house mates share one kettle and you get one all to yourself in your room and that one has been provided for the whole house?
Reply 15
Dude
Thats not fair though.

Why should nine other house mates share one kettle and you get one all to yourself in your room and that one has been provided for the whole house?

I know it's not fair, but all other kitchens on the floors had only one kettle iirc and the same number people shared the kitchen, also it didn't cause major problems since not many people used the kettle at any one time. Although I know, I should have got my own kettle; it did the trick as it was short term.
Reply 16
^^^ won't that be a criminal offence to interfer with the smoke detector?
Reply 17
we get mini fridges in our rooms :biggrin:
Reply 18
^^ ah lucky you :smile:
Mini fridges can be classed as fire hazards as they're often cheap pieces of crap. They're poorly made with cheap components, if that fan on the back were to stop for any reason the back of the fridge would melt down and most likely trigger a fire if the PCB fumes weren't bad enough.

If you live in brand new accommodation it's possible they could set up the circuit breakers to limit the amount of wattage available in your room so a kettle might cause your room to shut off, you'd have to be unlucky in both situations though.

Quick Reply

Latest