Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont quite understand capacitors so apologies for the stupid questions.

Can someone first of all explain what the inside of a capacitor looks like/ what goes on inside?

When charging a capacitor i understand the electrons flow from the negative terminal of the battery and builds up on one plate. The bit I don't get is why does it repel electrons on the other plate. Why do we get this repulsion?

Does a capacitor just have loads of electrons inside it? I mean I don't quite why it would repel if one side of the capacitor is positive and the other is negative.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    I dont quite understand capacitors so apologies for the stupid questions.

Can someone first of all explain what the inside of a capacitor looks like/ what goes on inside?
    I have not opened a capacitor before, so cannot really tell you exactly what is inside.

The basic structure should be similar - two metals covering an insulating material.
    https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/capacitors

(Original post by Super199)
    When charging a capacitor i understand the electrons flow from the negative terminal of the battery and builds up on one plate. The bit I don't get is why does it repel electrons on the other plate. Why do we get this repulsion?

Does a capacitor just have loads of electrons inside it? I mean I don't quite why it would repel if one side of the capacitor is positive and the other is negative.

Thanks
    You may want to post what the textbook has written. It could be a misinterpretation.

I suspect the text is saying when the plate is connected to the negative terminal, the electrons from the negative terminal flow to the plate. Initially, the flow of electrons to the plate is fast but as more electrons are deposited onto the plate, the repulsion between the electrons on the plate and the incoming electrons slowing down the charging process.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.