Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel IAL Physics Unit 03 WPH03 - 10th of May, 2017 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM
    that's indeed helpful. It will be useful for the other students as well

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. Does anyone have any Unit 2 experiments (e.g.. photoelectric spectrum) that they can post? Or any experimental notes in general?

ReputationRep:
    In an experiment to determine the density of a liquid, 100 g of the liquid has a volume of 80 cm3.
    What is the density of the liquid in kg m–3?

Answer's D = 1250

How did this happen? and how to convert?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_301)
    In an experiment to determine the density of a liquid, 100 g of the liquid has a volume of 80 cm3.
    What is the density of the liquid in kg m–3?

Answer's D = 1250

How did this happen? and how to convert?
    First of all, convert the units into SI form
     1kg=1000g
     1m^3 = 1 \times 10^6 cm^3
    because
     1m = 100 cm
     1m^3 = (100 cm) ^3
    which is equal to :
     1m^3 = 1 \times 10^6 cm^3
    And now calculate it using the equation
     Density = Mass\div Volume

And the answer is 1250 kg/m^3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theeconomistkid)
    Hey everyone. Does anyone have any Unit 2 experiments (e.g.. photoelectric spectrum) that they can post? Or any experimental notes in general?
    Unit 2 :

1)Melde's experiment :

Apparatus : String , metre stick , loads , balance

Take a long string of about 0.5 m and fix it firmly in both ends using a bench .

Connect one side of the string to a vibration generation and the other with a hook containing loads of about 10N each .
    Connect a signal generator to the vibration generator and vary it to produce nodes and anti-nodes in the spring .

measure tension which is mg and the mass per unit length of the string by diving the mass of the string by it's length .

Finally square root tension/mass per unit length to get the value of wave speed .

2)Polarisation to measure stress concentration :

Apparatus : Two polarising filters , 360 degree protractor , glass tube , light source

take your first filter and put it in front of the glass tube and your second one behind the glass tube .Make sure they are aligned perpendicular to each other . (check by shining a source of light and see if it becomes fully polarised )

Fill the tube with a fixed concentration of sugar solutions (20-100g) and shine light through the tube . You will find that some light will pass through the end of the tube as the concentration changed the direction of the light .
    Keep rotating the second filter until all the light is polarised again and nothing passes through . Use the protractor to measure the angle that you rotated your filter and finally plot a graph of angle of rotation against concentration .

Repeat for different sugar concentrations .

ReputationRep:
    Whosoever is giving exam in UK please don't follow this thread. Many eastern countries finish their paper by 7-9 AM GMT and having known that the paper will be held in afternoon session theres a risk of it being leaked. Last year it happened. As I'm an A2 student I'm repeating this exam and
    I'm confident of getting a high UMS in this unit. I remember a mate from TSR who made a thread for Unit 3 physics IAL. Me and the thread
    starter -
    realised that paper is now just being known to some few students and we also started getting messages from different people asking for ques.
    I immediately private-messaged the thread starter to delete this thread as soon as possible.
    It's not like that no students are appearing from the UK. There are, but very less amount. So in order to protect ur grades please everyone try
    your best not to ask any queries concerning how was the paper or which question came. Yeah just make sure that at least 3 hrs have passed
    until you have given your exam.
    The main thing is students from some european countries and UK have a high chance of knowing the paper.
    Students, in this thread who are appearing from eastern countries do make sure they dont ask anything of here within 3hr after the paper finishes.
    Im giving in UAE. So I'll finish by 1 PM UAE time.
    which will be 9 AM UK

Goodluck everyone towards tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the experiment procedure for Efficiency of a motor?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR EXAMS EVERYONE

(Original post by Ahmed3651998)
    Whosoever is giving exam in UK please don't follow this thread. Many eastern countries finish their paper by 7-9 AM GMT and having known that the paper will be held in afternoon session theres a risk of it being leaked. Last year it happened. As I'm an A2 student I'm repeating this exam and
    I'm confident of getting a high UMS in this unit. I remember a mate from TSR who made a thread for Unit 3 physics IAL. Me and the thread
    starter -
    realised that paper is now just being known to some few students and we also started getting messages from different people asking for ques.
    I immediately private-messaged the thread starter to delete this thread as soon as possible.
    It's not like that no students are appearing from the UK. There are, but very less amount. So in order to protect ur grades please everyone try
    your best not to ask any queries concerning how was the paper or which question came. Yeah just make sure that at least 3 hrs have passed
    until you have given your exam.
    The main thing is students from some european countries and UK have a high chance of knowing the paper.
    Students, in this thread who are appearing from eastern countries do make sure they dont ask anything of here within 3hr after the paper finishes.
    Im giving in UAE. So I'll finish by 1 PM UAE time.
    which will be 9 AM UK

Goodluck everyone towards tomorrow.
    It's mentioned in the title, IAL, so they might know it
    But it's good u told
    Yesterday, once the chem exam was over, they started a discussion thread, I asked the forum supporters whether it was ok, and they told, it's ok to discuss papers once the exam's over, coz the IAL exams are scheduled so that all countries do the exams at the same time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Micrometer101)
    Anyone know the experiment procedure for Efficiency of a motor?
    First obtain an electric motor and connect it to a circuit that has a power supply a voltmeter and an ammeter
    Mount the motor on the bench and secure it in place with the G clamp. Fix some thread round the motor spindle and attach it to the hook of the slotted masses so that the masses rest on the floor. Hold the metre ruler vertically in the clamp so that it is close to, but not touching, the slotted masses. Start the motor and the stopwatch at the same time and measure the time it takes for the load (slotted masses) to rise through 0.5 m. Record the readings on the ammeter and voltmeter during the time the load is rising. If possible take more than one pair of readings if there is time. Stop the motor and unwind the thread so that the masses rest on the floor again. Repeat the experiment three times and get an average value for the time taken to rise the 0.5 m. Now change the input voltage and repeat the experiment.
    then use efficiency=useful output/ power input * 100
    where useful output=mgh and power input=VIt

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know that experiment for the speed of sound in air?
    I'm about to take the exams in an hour

ReputationRep:
    How was the paper?

ReputationRep:
    It was good let's discuss the answers

ReputationRep:
    The one of multiple choice was the answer density of solid?

ReputationRep:
    Just realised that I forgot to use the graph for the young modulus question. I just used the table and got like 2.04×10^10. AND I FORGOT THE UNITS. Kill me pls

ReputationRep:
    For finding the young modulus what was the answer please cuz me and my friends got different answers and we donot know which one is right I got the young modulus as 6.7*10^9...did anyone get the same answer??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hola1234)
    The one of multiple choice was the answer density of solid?
    for the viscosity one?
    if it is then the answer is volume of the liquid

ReputationRep:
    Can someone come up with a markscheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greetings24)
    For finding the young modulus what was the answer please cuz me and my friends got different answers and we donot know which one is right I got the young modulus as 6.7*10^9...did anyone get the same answer??
    I think it is 2.04*10^10

ReputationRep:
    I got 2*10^10 and volume of the liquid.. because no matter how much volume you have it doesn't affect how sticky your caramel is gonna be right?

ReputationRep:
    What triggered me was the 6cm question tho i have high doubts that my answer will be on mark scheme

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.