The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Physics Unit 03 WPH03 - 10th of May, 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shahida sulaiman
how did u calculate it ?

I used the extrapolation method (which I think most people did). You didn't need to find the gradient. I used a random force value that was in the linear section of the graph and extrapolated to find the corresponding extension value. Then i just used the formula and got the answer.....most people seem to have got around 2x10^10!

i was just wondering if there would be a range cuz I got 2.01x10^10!

Thanks
Original post by examhater44
I used the extrapolation method (which I think most people did). You didn't need to find the gradient. I used a random force value that was in the linear section of the graph and extrapolated to find the corresponding extension value. Then i just used the formula and got the answer.....most people seem to have got around 2x10^10!

Thanks

I did the same and got the the answer as 1.98x10^10
Reply 122
Original post by ahamed2000
its not practical to measure distance in food using vernier caliper , i guess you will have to cut it to keep it in the vernier , so its not very practical to use vernier even though its more precise

do u rmmbr what u did for the very first question about the drawing of the waves?
i just drew one wave n not its reflected wave!! will i get marks?
Original post by ashmjj
do u rmmbr what u did for the very first question about the drawing of the waves?
i just drew one wave n not its reflected wave!! will i get marks?

I don't think so. I drew a standing wave with nodes and antinodes labelled and a line from 2 antinodes showing the distance between them is half lambda. Since it is at antinodes that constructive interference occurs.
Reply 124
Original post by FutureStripper
I don't think so. I drew a standing wave with nodes and antinodes labelled and a line from 2 antinodes showing the distance between them is half lambda. Since it is at antinodes that constructive interference occurs.

damn x/ but i drew the antinodes and clearly showed the burn marks on antinodes and indicated the distance between 2 antinodes is half lambda...just dint draw the reflected wave
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ashmjj
damn x/ but i drew the antinodes and clearly showed the burn marks on antinodes and indicated the distance between 2 antinodes is half lambda...just dint draw the reflected wave

We don't need to draw the reflected wave yeah
Reply 126
Original post by Ackashh05012911
We don't need to draw the reflected wave yeah

most ppl are saying we need to! n why not cux that's how a standing wave is formed isnt it?
Original post by ashmjj
most ppl are saying we need to! n why not cux that's how a standing wave is formed isnt it?

It's because they clearly stated in the question that standing wave is formed.dw tho seriously I'm sure you'll get a few marks if you wrote that. I think aslong as you labelled antinodes on a wave and showed D between them is half lambda you have 2 marks guaranteed.
Original post by ashmjj

I drew both waves and labelled 2 antinodes and showed that the distance between them is half lamda and explained that the burn marks occur at antinodes so multiplying the length between the burn marks gives the wavelength
Will I get full marks?
It's because they clearly stated in the question that standing wave is formed.dw tho seriously I'm sure you'll get a few marks if you wrote that. I think aslong as you labelled antinodes on a wave and showed D between them is half lambda you have 2 marks guaranteed.

I thought the whole question was for 2 marks
Reply 130

I also remember the whole question being 2 marks, Im thinking 1 mark for explanation and 1 for diagram.
Reply 131

Same here.
Reply 132
Original post by wyzzl
Hey guys! any predictions for the grade boundaries?
Is 35 or 36 out of 40 gonna be A?

Thats way to high. A paper at similiar difficulty had a boundary of 30/40 A. This exam had the first and last question to trick a few points out of people. Im thinking Max 32/40 A
Reply 133
Original post by christos123456
I got the same!

Same
Original post by AdemN
I also remember the whole question being 2 marks, Im thinking 1 mark for explanation and 1 for diagram.

Yeah that's what I was thinking
Original post by ashmjj

If the question is for 2 marks then you'll lose only 1 mark so dw

Damn okay then you shouldnt be worrying too much if your answer was along those lines
Original post by Chapers64
Passed limit of proportionality at 5.9N and then started curving I think

Mine was same !!! Thank god :smile:
Original post by examhater44

Thanks

I did the same thing but i got 1.5x10^10 XD !! Hope its right ? Which values you used ?
Original post by Muaaz Iqbal
I did the same thing but i got 1.5x10^10 XD !! Hope its right ? Which values you used ?

For questions like these, they usually give a huge range or they'll give mark if the power is correct. So let's hope your answer is in their range

Quick Reply

Latest