Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My family are really lazy. I didn't realise this until recently, but because of this unresponsible way of being, I've now been raised to be lazy, like them. Except, me being the youngest, they expect me to do all the work, etc.

One of my parents was a criminal and says they wasn't cut out for a proper job. But then they have the nerve to say "But you're cut out for a proper job. Don't be like me."

I get what they're saying but, I also believe I'm not cut out for a proper job. Unlike them, I'm very apathetic about life. The way I see it is everyone's going to die someday, so life might as well be good or there's no point living it.

That's why I want to be successful in something. I don't really care in what, I just want to be successful because I'm petrified of getting a 9-5 job working 5 days a week, making f**k all and living a mundane life. I'm not doing that. That's not me. I'm not cut out for that.

I think I've inherited this from my parent. Stupid lazy people will try to be a criminal. Smart lazy people will try to be successful.

That's the way I see it anyway.

And here's something: I have an older sibling. Guess what they were allowed to do when they left school? Nothing. Literally, for years they've done nothing. Nearly 30 now and never had a job. And yet, here I am expected to go out and work and the rest of them don't.

With such role models how could I possibly have anything other than the same lazy mentality?

I don't really know why I'm saying this because I'll probably get some flack from the folk on here because y'all probably think differently on here. For once try to see things from a different perspective and let your perspective and opinions go. They're not important to me.

I'm just saying, I don't know how my parents can have the nerve to say "we're not cut out for work and neither is your older sibling but you are and so hop to it."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My family are really lazy. I didn't realise this until recently, but because of this unresponsible way of being, I've now been raised to be lazy, like them. Except, me being the youngest, they expect me to do all the work, etc.

One of my parents was a criminal and says they wasn't cut out for a proper job. But then they have the nerve to say "But you're cut out for a proper job. Don't be like me."

I get what they're saying but, I also believe I'm not cut out for a proper job. Unlike them, I'm very apathetic about life. The way I see it is everyone's going to die someday, so life might as well be good or there's no point living it.

That's why I want to be successful in something. I don't really care in what, I just want to be successful because I'm petrified of getting a 9-5 job working 5 days a week, making f**k all and living a mundane life. I'm not doing that. That's not me. I'm not cut out for that.

I think I've inherited this from my parent. Stupid lazy people will try to be a criminal. Smart lazy people will try to be successful.

That's the way I see it anyway.

And here's something: I have an older sibling. Guess what they were allowed to do when they left school? Nothing. Literally, for years they've done nothing. Nearly 30 now and never had a job. And yet, here I am expected to go out and work and the rest of them don't.

With such role models how could I possibly have anything other than the same lazy mentality?

I don't really know why I'm saying this because I'll probably get some flack from the folk on here because y'all probably think differently on here. For once try to see things from a different perspective and let your perspective and opinions go. They're not important to me.

I'm just saying, I don't know how my parents can have the nerve to say "we're not cut out for work and neither is your older sibling but you are and so hop to it."
    I agree with and understand you completely, although I'm not sure what your family expect to get out of you by you going to work. Just focus on yourself and become successful.
    My older brother never went to college/HE, always drinks his money away, has crappy minimum-wage jobs and probably always will, yet gets offered everything on a plate. My family members have bought him a motorbike, offered him driving lessons or a car and places to live, let him get away with not paying rent and treating them like sh**. I done really well in my GCSEs, and AS exams, I've continued 4 subjects and am predicted As for this year, I've got unconditional offers to university which I start this year, and I've always worked hard to get these things. I've never had an offer like the ones my brother's been given by family, and I've got no clue why he deserves it and I don't. Not that it matters because I'm going to go to uni, get a job that I've wanted for years, hopefully make a pretty decent amount of money and do everything I can with it.

Sorry for the rant but it's good to know I'm not the only one in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    At least they're trying to push you forwards to have a better life even if they're not prepared to do it themselves. That's much better than kids who have parents who just go 'education is useless and working is for mugs get pregnant and go on benefits'.

(Original post by doodle_333)
      At least they're trying to push you forwards to have a better life even if they're not prepared to do it themselves. That's much better than kids who have parents who just go 'education is useless and working is for mugs get pregnant and go on benefits'.
      Yeah. The impression I got from the OP is more that the parents pretty much see themselves as past it/beyond redemption, but they believe their child can do better.

How is this as *****y as OP thinks?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Shan_non)
      I agree with and understand you completely, although I'm not sure what your family expect to get out of you by you going to work. Just focus on yourself and become successful.
      My older brother never went to college/HE, always drinks his money away, has crappy minimum-wage jobs and probably always will, yet gets offered everything on a plate. My family members have bought him a motorbike, offered him driving lessons or a car and places to live, let him get away with not paying rent and treating them like sh**. I done really well in my GCSEs, and AS exams, I've continued 4 subjects and am predicted As for this year, I've got unconditional offers to university which I start this year, and I've always worked hard to get these things. I've never had an offer like the ones my brother's been given by family, and I've got no clue why he deserves it and I don't. Not that it matters because I'm going to go to uni, get a job that I've wanted for years, hopefully make a pretty decent amount of money and do everything I can with it.

Sorry for the rant but it's good to know I'm not the only one in a similar situation.
      I get this. I think all you can do is focus on yourself, and realise that in some ways it's pushed you to become more independent, and self motivating. They might treat him well because they feel sorry for him tbh. Anyway, you're doing whats right for you, so try to ignore their fairly crap behavior.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      Yeah. The impression I got from the OP is more that the parents pretty much see themselves as past it/beyond redemption, but they believe their child can do better.

How is this as *****y as OP thinks?
      I think it's more like the OP thinks they're being highly hypocritical. Which is fair. How can they expect OP to do well when all they've been brought up in is a lazy environment.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.