Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone regularly wake up at 6am or earlier? If so how do you manage it? Watch

I need to improve my sleep routine and it's my goal to get up each weekday morning no later than 6am.

I'm currently waking up at 1:30 in the afternoon if I've not got lectures, however when I get up earlier I can't function and usually need to sleep in the afternoon to compensate.

For those early birds, how do you successfully manage it?

ReputationRep:
    Four alarms within 15 minutes of each other. The last one being the latest time you can get out of bed without be being late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)
    I need to improve my sleep routine and it's my goal to get up each weekday morning no later than 6am.

I'm currently waking up at 1:30 in the afternoon if I've not got lectures, however when I get up earlier I can't function and usually need to sleep in the afternoon to compensate.

I used to be like that, but it meant that I went to bed at around 9-10 ish LATEST 11. After a while my body got used to it and I just woke up at 5-6 with no alarms or anything. But I didn't go out, nor I drank alcohol at the time. I didn't eat much either. It's quite unsociable to wake up at those hours when you're young.

If you're not talking about doing that every day then yeah just put a million alarms, sleep with the lights on, have a coffee right next to your bed, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Going to bed early. And not going on screens late at night. I've also heard that drinking lots of water just before sleeping helps . . . and there was a period when I was waking up a lot earlier because of it. Sort of stopped doing it recently though.

Alarms can be counter-productive - I slipped into a habit of turning it off while I was still asleep or half-asleep because I was so used to it going off (and I keep my phone under my pillow [not a smartphone]). Same with excessively early alarms - try setting it for 8:00am or 7:00am or something and try do that regularly because it's more likely to happen than 6:00am.

Also, try a cold shower first thing when you get up. It's really refreshing and might help you to wake up properly.

Another thing you could try is finding something to get up for - I don't know, maybe a radio program or a community event that happens earlier, or volunteer for something like an animal shelter.

Last thing - if you get really tired, maybe there's something in your eating habits/routine that's contributing to that? E.g. regular late nights obviously won't help - your body's programmed to function best on so many hours of sleep and depriving it of that sleep is going to automatically make you feel tired. Or if you're filling up on junk food all the time, I can't think that that will give you the nutrition and energy that your body requires to function efficiently either.

Hope that vaguely helps - I'm trying to get up earlier as well, and it's tough to break habits!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)

First you may like to make sure there's no reason you find sleep an issue. It is possible for things like vitamin deficiencies to cause tiredness and fatigue. It could also be caused by a poor routine like not going to sleep early enough.

There are things to do that could improve your sleeping. Things like avoiding bright lights and eye strain before bed, relaxing music to help you to sleep etc. You can google a lot of tips.
    As for waking up, set regular alarms, keep being persistent so you can build a routine, you can get alarms that turn on a light gradually for a more natural wake-uk.

Hope that helps a bit

ReputationRep:
    I get up early and have always struggled. I bought an alarm with a sunrise simulator on it and that helps me in the winter time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.