Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The wifi in my apartment is ****ing **** Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I moved into this apartment for second year and the Wi-Fi is awful, on my phones and my laptop. Sometimes it's connected, but internet is really slow. Or it just disconnects randomly. It is not good for me!

There are about 4 different wifis I can connect to (with the same password) and that doesn't make it any better. Sometimes it says strength is 'excellent ' but it doesn't even connect.

What's even worse, there is a plusnet modem in the kitchen, but that is not what my Wi-Fi connects to, because the ones I do connect to are virgin media, not plusnet, so I'm wondering why is that modem even in out flat for?

Also it's nothing to do with other flatmates using the Wi-Fi, because I've been on my own for the Christmas holidays so no one else was using it.

I messaged my landlord about it and they just said 'connect to the 5g one' which doesn't help at all, because my current phone doesn't connect to it at all, and my laptop cannot get 5g.

What is going on? I can't even leave my apartment because of the contract but I've had to deal with it since the beginning of second year and have to lump it til second year finishes. It is a lot of trouble as I have to use 4g internet from my phone when I cannot get the Wi-Fi to work.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for you :/ just keep messaging the landlord to fix it

ReputationRep:
    What are the 4 different available WiFi connections? It's common for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections to be seperated. If you've got a second router then having 4 connections would make sense. That said it makes no sense why you have 4 available networks (and odds are they conflicting with one another).

If a device does not support 5GHz it generally won't show the network in the first place. Have you tried connecting a device when you are right next to the router? Have you tried connecting via cable rather than WiFi? Is this an issue with network strength or something else if you are unable to connect at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    What are the 4 different available WiFi connections? It's common for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections to be seperated. If you've got a second router then having 4 connections would make sense. That said it makes no sense why you have 4 available networks (and odds are they conflicting with one another).

If a device does not support 5GHz it generally won't show the network in the first place. Have you tried connecting a device when you are right next to the router? Have you tried connecting via cable rather than WiFi? Is this an issue with network strength or something else if you are unable to connect at all?
    2 of the wifis are 2g, and the other 2 are 5g. Yes I know the 5g ones don't show on my laptop.

It would be difficult to connect next to the router since I don't even know where it is located (the modem in the kitchen is not where my Wi-Fi connects to).

I noticed on yik yak, some people from the other side of town are experiencing similar bad Wi-Fi issues with the same provider (virgin media ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zezember)
    2 of the wifis are 2g, and the other 2 are 5g. Yes I know the 5g ones don't show on my laptop.

It would be difficult to connect next to the router since I don't even know where it is located (the modem in the kitchen is not where my Wi-Fi connects to).

I noticed on yik yak, some people from the other side of town are experiencing similar bad Wi-Fi issues with the same provider (virgin media ).
    Then it sounds like your appartment has it's wifi deliverd through at least 2 seperate routers, I'm guessing the building is too big for one router to cover it all. Odds are they aren't placed in close enough proximity to your room for you to get good signal. You could try walking around the building to try and find somewhere that gives good connection. It's also still possible that the 2 connections interfere with each other

It's possible there's an issue with Virgin that's causing the poor service but then I'd expect more people locally to experience problems. Do your flatmates have the same problems?

Any idea what the plusnet modem in the kitchen is doing? Is it wired into a wall? Is it turned on or off? Can you connect a laptop to it via ethernet for example? Also do you have any wired ethernet ports that you could connect your own router to and build your own network in your appartment?

Realistically the only thing you can do is keep pestering your landlord about it. If he says connect to the 5G network then explain that you can't. Explain the problem in detail and start making formal complaints. I don't know much about the what a landlord should and shouldn't be providing but it you're in student accommodation and are unable to connect to the Internet then that's not acceptable. Luckily you've managed to get through the first term so you're well on the way to being rid of it (although you probably should have dealt with it sooner). In the mean time can you use university facilities to do your work?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.