Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Biology IGCSE paper 1/1B 4BIO 10th January,2017 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nye2001)
    It was better than paper 1! I think it was alright. What did you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Much more difficult imo. What did you all get for sampling the flowers and the physical characteristics they have that prevent self-pollination?

ReputationRep:
    I've done the biology test papers too! I found test paper one extremely easy.. But today's paper was horrible!! So many strange questions!
    As for the lipase question when it is broken down, the solution would turn more alkaline as thats what it releases when it's broken down, and that would be shown on the ph meter in the diagram on the previous page.
    What did you guys make of the cilia and smoking question? They used a substance that isn't reliable as it comes in so many forms and there's no way of knowing how it's going to react, as the solution has a mind of its own, some react fast, and others don't move at all. Think edexcel need a word with themselves🙄
    And the question about a guy reading that bacterium can weigh the same as the planter or however it was worded.. What the hell!? 😂
    I've forgotten some of the other questions that were either really hard/strange.. Can you tell me some of them please? Was trying to see if my partner knew what they were but my minds went blank🙈
    When do we find out the results does anyone know? X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaLou01)
    I've done the biology test papers too! I found test paper one extremely easy.. But today's paper was horrible!! So many strange questions!
    As for the lipase question when it is broken down, the solution would turn more alkaline as thats what it releases when it's broken down, and that would be shown on the ph meter in the diagram on the previous page.
    What did you guys make of the cilia and smoking question? They used a substance that isn't reliable as it comes in so many forms and there's no way of knowing how it's going to react, as the solution has a mind of its own, some react fast, and others don't move at all. Think edexcel need a word with themselves🙄
    And the question about a guy reading that bacterium can weigh the same as the planter or however it was worded.. What the hell!? 😂
    I've forgotten some of the other questions that were either really hard/strange.. Can you tell me some of them please? Was trying to see if my partner knew what they were but my minds went blank🙈
    When do we find out the results does anyone know? X
    But whyyyy would the lipase be broken down though? Also, why would fatty acids make the solution more alkaline? Seriously, that question about the possibility of a bacterium multiplying to be the same mass as earth in a time period of 2 days was a real wth question. I put that it is not possible due to competition of reproduction from other species and the lack of food available for the bacteria to reproduce that much. Seriously, what the hell was that Edexcel? I said that the experiement concerning the unicellular organism's cilia being slowed down by tobacco wasn't accurate because the tobacco wasn't combusted first, the cilia in human lungs have a different function (and thus different chemical properties) and that the unicellular organism is not a cell from a human being (repetitive? Maybe...).

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it mentioned it on the previous page. My answer was something along the line of when it's broken down that solution would be more alkaline as that what it releases when it's broken down, and that it would be shown on the ph meter on the diagram that was on the previous page. The exam was awful though! Did you struggle on any other questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illumination)
    But whyyyy would the lipase be broken down though? Also, why would fatty acids make the solution more alkaline? Seriously, that question about the possibility of a bacterium multiplying to be the same mass as earth in a time period of 2 days was a real wth question. I put that it is not possible due to competition of reproduction from other species and the lack of food available for the bacteria to reproduce that much. Seriously, what the hell was that Edexcel? I said that the experiement concerning the unicellular organism's cilia being slowed down by tobacco wasn't accurate because the tobacco wasn't combusted first, the cilia in human lungs have a different function (and thus different chemical properties) and that the unicellular organism is not a cell from a human being (repetitive? Maybe...).
    My tutor always told me that when lipids are broken down by lipase, it lowers the ph of the solution making it more alkaline. So that's pretty much what I put, haha!
    Yeah I said the same too, added that bacteria also compete against each other for food too.
    Yeah I wrote similar for that one too. Was there any other questions that your found difficult? I can bearly remember any of them 🙈

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illumination)
    OK yea this question got me. What didn't make sense to me is that the "food containing lipid" did not have any lipase in it! The experiment was basically a crucible with a "food containing lipid" (I assume it's a liquid solution) that is mixed with "compound X", which is supposed to be something that inhibits lipase. So, if there is no lipase in the solution, how can this thing work? I said that the pH of the solution should not drop as the lipids are not turned into fatty acids due to the inhibition of lipase. I'm so confused??? I read the question over and over and saw no mention of lipase in the solution. :confused:
    asdfghjkl;lkjhgfdsaawertyuiopoiu ytrewqwertyuiomnbvcxz
    I think the question was only 2 marks so it's not a big loss but it's annoying... I thought the Lipase came in the tube on the right but I have no clue now... what you've put is probably right it would seem like something the answer would be, I completely didn't pick up on the idea of the pH and just sorta guessed... a wrong guess... but it was still a guess...

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone repsond to the bacteria and ecosystem question?
    Also, does anyone know when we will get the results?

ReputationRep:
    Which questions exactly? We talked about the bacteria multiplying question earlier on if that's the one. I'd also like to know when results come out lol. I remember seeing something about "important dates" or something on Edexcel's site and when I clicked on the link, it was empty. Yea their site isn't very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Oh the bacteria question I talked about Denitrifying Bacteria, Nitrifying Bacteria, Bacteria as decomposes and Nitrogen fixing bacteria and their roles... I think we get our results in March and grade boundaries released released a couple days before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferret500)
    Oh the bacteria question I talked about Denitrifying Bacteria, Nitrifying Bacteria, Bacteria as decomposes and Nitrogen fixing bacteria and their roles... I think we get our results in March and grade boundaries released released a couple days before
    Ahh ok, I more or less said the same. Just a waiting game now then isn't it! 😩 What are you hoping to get? And what for? ☺️

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok, I more or less said the same. Just a waiting game now then isn't it! 😩 What are you hoping to get? And what for? ☺️
    Yeah, it'll feel like forever 😬 I'm hoping to get an A* so I can carry on doing Human Biology IGCSE in May but also so I don't have to redo the IGCSE in June as our teacher will resubmit us if we don't get an A*... 😂😊 what about you? What do you hope for?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it'll feel like forever 😬 I'm hoping to get an A* so I can carry on doing Human Biology IGCSE in May but also so I don't have to redo the IGCSE in June as our teacher will resubmit us if we don't get an A*... 😂😊 what about you? What do you hope for?
    She'll make you resit is you don't get an A*!? haha, and anything over a C would be good for me as I need it to apply for uni next year! 😄 But I think from my answers that I've put and researched after my exam that I think I've done well on it.. I hope! 😂

ReputationRep:
    She'll make you resit is you don't get an A*!? haha, and anything over a C would be good for me as I need it to apply for uni next year! 😄 But I think from my answers that I've put and researched after my exam that I think I've done well on it.. I hope! 😂
    Aha yep, so I am really hoping I do well, I've done every single paper you can take since 2011... 😅 Yeah from what you've said it sounds as if you'll do really good! Good luck with that and applying for uni!! 😊 So you're in A level?

ReputationRep:
    Aha yep, so I am really hoping I do well, I've done every single paper you can take since 2011... 😅 Yeah from what you've said it sounds as if you'll do really good! Good luck with that and applying for uni!! 😊 So you're in A level?
    Aww I'm sure you'll do great! And thanks! 😊 No I'm doing an access to HE course in health professions, basically the equivalent to 3 A levels but it only takes a year to do.. Not 2! But it's hard work as its so full on! 😩

ReputationRep:
    Aww I'm sure you'll do great! And thanks! 😊 No I'm doing an access to HE course in health professions, basically the equivalent to 3 A levels but it only takes a year to do.. Not 2! But it's hard work as its so full on! 😩
    Aw thanks! 😊 Jeez all that in one year... that's rough, what other subjects are you doing? 😩 The equivalent of 3 in one year... 😔

ReputationRep:
    Aw thanks! 😊 Jeez all that in one year... that's rough, what other subjects are you doing? 😩 The equivalent of 3 in one year... 😔
    It's just the one subject that's the equivalent to 3 A levels. I'm doing the healthcare professions one, which I could use to apply for nursing, midwifery, paramedic science ect.. ☺️

ReputationRep:
    It's just the one subject that's the equivalent to 3 A levels. I'm doing the healthcare professions one, which I could use to apply for nursing, midwifery, paramedic science ect.. ☺️
    Awww ok that's nice! But that's a lot, as one subject as the equivalent for 3 A Levels... 😅 And all in one year, I'm sure you'll do great in the exam and then you move past to next stage, What do you do after? 😊

ReputationRep:
    Do we know what the pass grad will be ?

ReputationRep:
    Do we have any idea what the pass rate could be yet ?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the pass mark yet ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.