Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To put a long story short I had a really tough time at school, always bullied, never fitted in and never many friends. I was useless at school, I got pretty bad grades. I did 1 year at sixth form, then I did an apprenticeship for nearly 2 years which ended up really bad the boss was a fraud, did me out of £1000. All ended very badly and suddenly. I was then subject to no job, no future, no credible grades and no friends. Which you can probably guess made me feel great!! I probably should have got some help, but me being me I never did. I kept getting a horrible tight chest, feeling like cr*** and just felt drained a tired. Then everything went a bit nuts having offers from multiple different TV channels, I did one interview but I felt so stressed with it all I didn't take up on a lot of the offers.

I then felt very overwhelmed for a long time. I was getting this tight chest thing for ages and even getting out the house to walk to the shop felt like a massive task. However, I have always had this dream of setting up a business. It has been a nightmare, I have come a long way but have got a long way to go!

I got my life back on track, got some friends, been nightclubbing, passed my driving test and go swimming 2-3 days per week.

Since Christmas has ended and also my local swimming pool has been shut for a while because of an issue they had. I have started to get the tight chest thing again, its like here we go again. I'm not as bad as I was at the start of the year but I don't wanna go down that road again.

I don't really want to go to doctors as I know what will happen. "Here are some tablets to take for the rest of your life".
    I am a 19-year-old male.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    To put a long story short I had a really tough time at school, always bullied, never fitted in and never many friends. I was useless at school, I got pretty bad grades. I did 1 year at sixth form, then I did an apprenticeship for nearly 2 years which ended up really bad the boss was a fraud, did me out of £1000. All ended very badly and suddenly. I was then subject to no job, no future, no credible grades and no friends. Which you can probably guess made me feel great!! I probably should have got some help, but me being me I never did. I kept getting a horrible tight chest, feeling like cr*** and just felt drained a tired. Then everything went a bit nuts having offers from multiple different TV channels, I did one interview but I felt so stressed with it all I didn't take up on a lot of the offers.

I then felt very overwhelmed for a long time. I was getting this tight chest thing for ages and even getting out the house to walk to the shop felt like a massive task. However, I have always had this dream of setting up a business. It has been a nightmare, I have come a long way but have got a long way to go!

I got my life back on track, got some friends, been nightclubbing, passed my driving test and go swimming 2-3 days per week.

Since Christmas has ended and also my local swimming pool has been shut for a while because of an issue they had. I have started to get the tight chest thing again, its like here we go again. I'm not as bad as I was at the start of the year but I don't wanna go down that road again.

I don't really want to go to doctors as I know what will happen. "Here are some tablets to take for the rest of your life".
    I am a 19-year-old male.
    That's not what will happen. They will almost certinally direct you to therapy and leave the option of meds for later. And even if they did suggest meds you could refuse them.
    Anyway, you don't need to see a doctor if you don't want to. You can call Time To Talk for therapy on the NHS.

It seems you've managed to find outlets for your anxiety like swimming and have done very well in improving, but to really kick it and keep yourself stable I think therapy is the best option.

If you were interested you could ask about beta blockers which you can take when you are feeling anxious to reduce the physical effects (like tight chest). You could use it while you work on things to help you along. You don't have to though, it's entirely your choice. You can also look into meditation techniques like breathing exercises or mindfulness.

I understand this is a confusing and stressful situation so it may help to look at sites like mind.org or sane.org for info and advice.

(Original post by Kindred)
    That's not what will happen. They will almost certinally direct you to therapy and leave the option of meds for later. And even if they did suggest meds you could refuse them.
    Anyway, you don't need to see a doctor if you don't want to. You can call Time To Talk for therapy on the NHS.

It seems you've managed to find outlets for your anxiety like swimming and have done very well in improving, but to really kick it and keep yourself stable I think therapy is the best option.

If you were interested you could ask about beta blockers which you can take when you are feeling anxious to reduce the physical effects (like tight chest). You could use it while you work on things to help you along. You don't have to though, it's entirely your choice. You can also look into meditation techniques like breathing exercises or mindfulness.

I understand this is a confusing and stressful situation so it may help to look at sites like mind.org or sane.org for info and advice.
    I should consider some other options. I don't think I'm depressed, I think Anxious is the word. I know I sound stupid, I just feel like a bit of an idiot, yes I had a tough time about a year ago. I'm sure people have had worse! I'm doing exactly what I want now, good friends. I know I sound stupid, but I feel like I'm just causing a problem. It's not like going in with a broken arm!

Can't believe that not going swimming can cause me to go a bit backwards! Just feel like I need constant exercise or something.

An example would be going nightclubbing. For some reason, I get myself in a bit of a state overthinking what could go wrong. Once I get there I'm fine, and have time of my life!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I should consider some other options. I don't think I'm depressed, I think Anxious is the word. I know I sound stupid, I just feel like a bit of an idiot, yes I had a tough time about a year ago. I'm sure people have had worse! I'm doing exactly what I want now, good friends. I know I sound stupid, but I feel like I'm just causing a problem. It's not like going in with a broken arm!

Can't believe that not going swimming can cause me to go a bit backwards! Just feel like I need constant exercise or something.

An example would be going nightclubbing. For some reason, I get myself in a bit of a state overthinking what could go wrong. Once I get there I'm fine, and have time of my life!
    That sounds a lot like some form of anxiety to me. The places you go are mostly the same for anxiety and depression, but they are different treatments. Therapy has a different angle, meds are different etc.
    I know it can feel silly going to the doctor about something that isn't a "real" problem, but mh issues like this are real issues and it's perfectly reasonable to see a doctor about it. Just cos it's not something you can see, doesn't mean it's not there and not a legitimate medical issue.

And just cos other people have it worse, doesn't mean you don't have the right to be struggling. If you saw somebody who'd been stabbed would you tell them not to call an ambulance cos somebody somewhere has probably been shot? Nope cos that's silly.
    It's actually a pretty common reason for people with mh issues not to get help. Loads of people feel like it's not a legitimate issue if it's not causing physical effects or that it's not serious enough since others are suffering more. Don't let that stop you. You don't have to see a doctor, but if you are having difficulties you should get help.

Take a bit of time to look up your options and see which sounds best to you. There are therapy and counselling services you can go to without seeing a doctor first so if you want to hold off on seeing a doctor that's fine. You can usually access some form of counselling through your college/ uni which can be pretty handy. There's also advice on loads of sites and even an free "online therapy" called moodgym (though I find it doesn't do as good a job as real therapy).
    You can always try some things and if they don't seem to be helping up your game and try more stuff.

Good luck with everything. Just remember you have every right to feel how you do. You are not being stupid and you shouldn't live in suffering just because others are too. You deserve support and to be happy.

(Original post by Kindred)
    That sounds a lot like some form of anxiety to me. The places you go are mostly the same for anxiety and depression, but they are different treatments. Therapy has a different angle, meds are different etc.
    I know it can feel silly going to the doctor about something that isn't a "real" problem, but mh issues like this are real issues and it's perfectly reasonable to see a doctor about it. Just cos it's not something you can see, doesn't mean it's not there and not a legitimate medical issue.

And just cos other people have it worse, doesn't mean you don't have the right to be struggling. If you saw somebody who'd been stabbed would you tell them not to call an ambulance cos somebody somewhere has probably been shot? Nope cos that's silly.
    It's actually a pretty common reason for people with mh issues not to get help. Loads of people feel like it's not a legitimate issue if it's not causing physical effects or that it's not serious enough since others are suffering more. Don't let that stop you. You don't have to see a doctor, but if you are having difficulties you should get help.

Take a bit of time to look up your options and see which sounds best to you. There are therapy and counselling services you can go to without seeing a doctor first so if you want to hold off on seeing a doctor that's fine. You can usually access some form of counselling through your college/ uni which can be pretty handy. There's also advice on loads of sites and even an free "online therapy" called moodgym (though I find it doesn't do as good a job as real therapy).
    You can always try some things and if they don't seem to be helping up your game and try more stuff.

Good luck with everything. Just remember you have every right to feel how you do. You are not being stupid and you shouldn't live in suffering just because others are too. You deserve support and to be happy.
    It's just so hard, it's not like I'm unhappy or anything. All my family thinks I'm the happiest person ever! It just seems to be a mixture of stress and feeling quite nervous for no apparent reason. It feels very hard to sit still and relax. I don't understand it what so ever. A doctor will probably think I have gone mad!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's just so hard, it's not like I'm unhappy or anything. All my family thinks I'm the happiest person ever! It just seems to be a mixture of stress and feeling quite nervous for no apparent reason. It feels very hard to sit still and relax. I don't understand it what so ever. A doctor will probably think I have gone mad!
    Doctors see people for things like that all the time. They will not think you're gone mad. It's really common to get a bit overwhelmed by stress at some point in life. It doesn't make you broken or mad or anything and it doesn't mean you can't be happy too. It is something you should try to work out though because it's not something you should have to struggle with.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.