Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, What part time jobs do teachers do while training? Thanks in advance 😊Xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure trainee teachers don't have time for part time jobs? May be wrong there but I don't know anyone who did the course and worked alongside it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my final year and have worked weekends through the past 2 and a half years (BEd teacher training). I've also worked as a supply.

It's more than possible.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the route you're taking. If you are essentially working full time at the school it is impossible. If you take the PGCE route it seems like there's a little more time between placements, on weekends etc because the timetable is - depending on your placement school - significantly reduced.

ReputationRep:
    One of my best friend's worked some evenings and weekends at Next while doing her primary PGCE as she needed the money. She very passionately advised me against doing the same, she ended up exhausted and something had to give. In her case, it was the academic side of the PGCE. She only passed due to her uni agreeing to let her resubmit some assignments after she had finished her second placement. This would not be an option at the uni I'm at.

On my course, we only have one that is still working. She's so far doing fine, but is worried about how she's going to fit everything in during her next placement.

While it can be done, think long and hard before you attempt it. You have to get organised and improve your time management on the PGCE at the best of times, this gets 10x harder when you're working at the same time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.