The Student Room Group

Should I give up my job to go part time and get a degree?

Hi,

I'm 19 years old and currently doing a marketing apprenticeship. I kind of fell into this job after finishing my alevels because I didn't want to go to university and didn't know what else to do. I'd always liked the idea of doing a distance learning degree but my school constantly tried to talk me out of the idea until eventually I went for a full time job instead.

My apprenticeship as you can imagine doesn't pay well, I work 8:45 till 17:30 Monday to Friday and my income is still low as I'm on apprentice wage.

I've also found that my job isn't keeping me stimulated, I get bored and sit practically watching the clock until home time. Whilst marketing is very interesting and there is lots to do, I just don't find myself feeling inspired.

Mainly, I'm really missing education. I love learning and thought that an apprenticeship would allow me to do that however it seems most of what I have to do is take screenshots and upload them online, to show I can do things rather than actually having to study.

I'm really considering finding a degree through distance learning in Philosophy/religious studies/ethics as I've studied this as GCSE and Alevel and I love it. This would mean leaving my current job to work part time (on minimum wage though so could probably do way less hours for the same if not a bit more income) and be a student, doing a distance learning degree part time also at home.

I am totally stuck as I want to do the degree but feel like I will be letting my current employer down and I worry what others will think/say.

Would really appreciate any advice or comments from people who've perhaps had to make the decision between working full time or quitting and going to uni/distance learning uni.

I have no idea what to do.
Original post by littlechicklet
Hi,

I'm 19 years old and currently doing a marketing apprenticeship. I kind of fell into this job after finishing my alevels because I didn't want to go to university and didn't know what else to do. I'd always liked the idea of doing a distance learning degree but my school constantly tried to talk me out of the idea until eventually I went for a full time job instead.

My apprenticeship as you can imagine doesn't pay well, I work 8:45 till 17:30 Monday to Friday and my income is still low as I'm on apprentice wage.

I've also found that my job isn't keeping me stimulated, I get bored and sit practically watching the clock until home time. Whilst marketing is very interesting and there is lots to do, I just don't find myself feeling inspired.

Mainly, I'm really missing education. I love learning and thought that an apprenticeship would allow me to do that however it seems most of what I have to do is take screenshots and upload them online, to show I can do things rather than actually having to study.

I'm really considering finding a degree through distance learning in Philosophy/religious studies/ethics as I've studied this as GCSE and Alevel and I love it. This would mean leaving my current job to work part time (on minimum wage though so could probably do way less hours for the same if not a bit more income) and be a student, doing a distance learning degree part time also at home.

I am totally stuck as I want to do the degree but feel like I will be letting my current employer down and I worry what others will think/say.

Would really appreciate any advice or comments from people who've perhaps had to make the decision between working full time or quitting and going to uni/distance learning uni.

I have no idea what to do.

How long have you got left in the apprenticeship?
Original post by claireestelle
How long have you got left in the apprenticeship?

Over a year I think
Original post by littlechicklet
Over a year I think

Not worth sticking it out if it's not for you, if you want to go to university what's putting you off going full time?
Hi I thought I might pitch in and say that I gave up the full-time military in the summer to go back to uni. I'm doing intensive A-Levels now and am awaiting my university decisions :smile: the best decision I've made! Though it kind of hurts to have a part time wage haha
'I am totally stuck as I want to do the degree but feel like I will be letting my current employer down and I worry what others will think/say.'

Don't let what others think stop you from pursuing a career you actually enjoy!
Original post by claireestelle
Not worth sticking it out if it's not for you, if you want to go to university what's putting you off going full time?

I don't really want to go to uni I'd rather do a distance learning degree as it's less debt and means I can still work and keep my life where I am
Original post by epsilondelta
Hi I thought I might pitch in and say that I gave up the full-time military in the summer to go back to uni. I'm doing intensive A-Levels now and am awaiting my university decisions :smile: the best decision I've made! Though it kind of hurts to have a part time wage haha

Thank you for your reply, wow that's amazing, I'm so scared of regretting whichever decision I make.
To be honest the part time minimum wage for me would be the same as my full time apprentice wage haha
Original post by illmatics
'I am totally stuck as I want to do the degree but feel like I will be letting my current employer down and I worry what others will think/say.'

Don't let what others think stop you from pursuing a career you actually enjoy!

Thank you, I'm just worried that people will think I'm indecisive or that I will let someone down
Reply 9
Honestly uni full time is barely anything, all the hours is based on you, so you can do a degree which is basically distant learning because you don't even have to turn up to lectures (always online) the reading is your choice to do and whilst doing this do a part time job like a lot of people?
Original post by Loopypie
Honestly uni full time is barely anything, all the hours is based on you, so you can do a degree which is basically distant learning because you don't even have to turn up to lectures (always online) the reading is your choice to do and whilst doing this do a part time job like a lot of people?

My uni refuses to put lectures online and takes attendance
Reply 11
Original post by niteninja1
My uni refuses to put lectures online and takes attendance

wow thats a first i've heard, can you not change to a different one? Attendence = getting friends to sign you in. There's also night uni's? although very few haha
wow thats a first i've heard, can you not change to a different one? Attendence = getting friends to sign you in. There's also night uni's? although very few haha

It's fine though I turn up. As for attendance it is smart card sign in and I don't work as I get 10702 in student loan

The problem I have is I live in a rural area where the nearest uni is at least an hour drive and as far as I'm aware attendance to lectures is important (on campus)

Quick Reply

Latest