Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I have to choose my options for GCSE fairly soon and am not sure what to take. My school does not make you take a humanity and/or an MFL (unfortunately, considering I am thinking of taking both) and lets you choose 3 options. I currently have 5 and cannot decide between a lot of them:

Computer science - I am completely sure on taking this one.
    German
    History
    Drama
    Business Studies - I will soon receive a taster session of this option.

I am achieving at least above average in all of these subjects (I have missed some German so my scores in this mostly reflect my ability to learn the topics I have done and have not done Business Studies) and very much enjoy all of them. I plan on getting a job focused around computers and have an interest in starting my own business.

The course for all of these subjects (possibly excluding Business Studies) has changed and may not be the same as when you took it, though I am still after people's opinions of the subjects and what could be best for me.

Thanks for the help in advance,
    Joe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Officially)
    Hi there, I have to choose my options for GCSE fairly soon and am not sure what to take. My school does not make you take a humanity and/or an MFL (unfortunately, considering I am thinking of taking both) and lets you choose 3 options. I currently have 5 and cannot decide between a lot of them:

Computer science - I am completely sure on taking this one.
    German
    History
    Drama
    Business Studies - I will soon receive a taster session of this option.

I am achieving at least above average in all of these subjects (I have missed some German so my scores in this mostly reflect my ability to learn the topics I have done and have not done Business Studies) and very much enjoy all of them. I plan on getting a job focused around computers and have an interest in starting my own business.

The course for all of these subjects (possibly excluding Business Studies) has changed and may not be the same as when you took it, though I am still after people's opinions of the subjects and what could be best for me.

Thanks for the help in advance,
    Joe
    I do computer science and I really like it, so you should definitely do that and i would pick History as I did it and its not too hard and its really interesting and you should do german as doing a language is a good qualification. i would not do drama as its kind of pointless and not needed for anything and business studies is pointless too and really easy and does not teach you much at all.

ReputationRep:
    I took history for my GCSE'S, we did medicine through time and the American Wild West. I really enjoyed it personally. There's usually a lot of written work, but there is for most subjects.

My brother has taken Drama for GCSE and it's a mix of acting scenes/ roleplaying scenarios, but also written work. I'd also say with this one it depends how good you are with out of school commitments because drama often requires periods of rehearsing outside of school hours.

At the end of the day it's up to you, but maybe try making a list of pros and cons and maybe try thinking of future career prospects if possible? It's not the be all end all :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I do computer science and I really like it, so you should definitely do that and i would pick History as I did it and its not too hard and its really interesting and you should do german as doing a language is a good qualification. i would not do drama as its kind of pointless and not needed for anything and business studies is pointless too and really easy and does not teach you much at all.
    Thanks for that. The one thing I have been thinking is that with either German or history, I would easily be able (and allowed to have) a tutor teach me it at home, where I could privately sit the GCSE. The school gives us only 10 GCSE options versus the (fairly) standard 11 so I don't think I'd be too overwhelmed there, though whether to sit a GCSE separate to school is a question in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Officially)
    Thanks for that. The one thing I have been thinking is that with either German or history, I would easily be able (and allowed to have) a tutor teach me it at home, where I could privately sit the GCSE. The school gives us only 10 GCSE options versus the (fairly) standard 11 so I don't think I'd be too overwhelmed there, though whether to sit a GCSE separate to school is a question in itself.
    I wouldn't do that if i were you as you will be under too much pressure if you self study and your not even sure how good the tutor is and it could get expensive.Drama is time consuming, i know because my friend does it and you have to remember lots of lines and perform in front of the school, which can cause you pressure. And german coursework will probably be easier to do at school.

ReputationRep:
    Just take whatever you enjoy most. Tbh, i worried a lot about my GCSE options but when you get into Year 11 you will realise they do not really matter at all. Just take whatever you think you will take at Alevel

ReputationRep:
    Do German, History and Computer Science. Business is seen as 'soft' (Econmics is similar but well regarded if it's available to you) and Drama would be a good fourth option but isn't very academic. Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.