Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible doing a Foundation Art and Design Diploma during sixth form? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title states.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
    As the title states.
    Most Level 3/4 Foundation Diplomas in Art & Design ask for 2 A levels for entry onto the course.

If you're looking for something you can study straight after GCSE then a BTEC Extended Diploma in Art and Design has a similar content to a Foundation Diploma but is designed to take 2 years following GCSE. These courses are very popular for admission onto art and creative courses (but they will often rule you out of other non-creative degrees which is why so many students follow the A levels + 1 yr foundation diploma route).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Most Level 3/4 Foundation Diplomas in Art & Design ask for 2 A levels for entry onto the course.

If you're looking for something you can study straight after GCSE then a BTEC Extended Diploma in Art and Design has a similar content to a Foundation Diploma but is designed to take 2 years following GCSE. These courses are very popular for admission onto art and creative courses (but they will often rule you out of other non-creative degrees which is why so many students follow the A levels + 1 yr foundation diploma route).
    Ah, see I currently already take art a level but I was wondering if I could get any further preparation since I really want to go straight into an art BA degree after I finish A levels and sixth form.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Ah, see I currently already take art a level but I was wondering if I could get any further preparation since I really want to go straight into an art BA degree after I finish A levels and sixth form.
    Universities will accept applications from A level students. But you will be competing against other applicants who are taking an art foundation. Rejection rates for most art and design courses are pretty high so it's worth applying but with realistic expectations.

You could do a drawing class in your evenings/weekends to get some broader experience. Or check your local galleries and museums - they may well have free or low cost activities that could inspire some new ideas outside your curriculum. Building up some really good sketchbooks of ideas/sketches/preparations will have a really good impact on your portfolio.

Another plan could be something like:
    https://aub.ac.uk/courses/summer-cou...-design-media/

That's a 3 week summer school aimed at portfolio improvement.

UAL offer similar courses but they're a lot more expensive and only last a week. I'm afraid I have my doubts about what can be achieved in a week (I think that the focus there is more on just taking current work and presenting it rather than actually producing new work).

ReputationRep:
    As the title states.
    The Foundation Diploma is 10x more intense than doing A Levels, it'd be impossible

It's like asking can I study 4 more A2's alongside my 3 A2's

The simple answer if you want to do art is do the Foundation next year, but it's definitely a year you'll love and never regret!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.