Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has University sent you into a downwards spiral? Watch

Hi,
    I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of going to university and finding that their mental health has just deteriorated as time has gone on. Say you had a few problems before university but they were more or less under control and then you went to university, might not have been coping well but managed to stick it out for the 1st year. Then soon enough you realise you're in a downwards spiral and you don't really recognise yourself any more or even relate to your past experiences. It's like university has completely detached you from your reality and you're so trapped in your situation with the reminder of all the debt your currently in that nothing seems to be worth it but to just keep going and finish your degree. Which seems okay enough but then for some reason you can't actually imagine yourself finishing the degree because there seems to be this overwhelming obstacle called life that appears to be progressing ever so slowly and with new challenges every day that feel far bigger than they actually are. If you do eventually finish, you keep wondering to yourself fearfully with what type of person you'll be when this is all over because you know you'll never really feel like the same person again.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes.
    I'm gradually becoming more dependent on alcohol and becoming lazier and lazier.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, completely. It's a terrible course at a terrible university with absolutely no friends and nothing to do except rot in my room. Toss in the fact that I discovered I'm complete sh*t at my subject today and that all my achievements (of which there were very few anyway) were probably just flukes. So I guess not so much as a downwards spiral as a complete destruction of what remained of my life and absolutely no hope for whatever comes after university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Yes, completely. It's a terrible course at a terrible university with absolutely no friends and nothing to do except rot in my room. Toss in the fact that I discovered I'm complete sh*t at my subject today and that all my achievements (of which there were very few anyway) were probably just flukes. So I guess not so much as a downwards spiral as a complete destruction of what remained of my life and absolutely no hope for whatever comes after university.
    I hated my time at uni, but after leaving am doing something different and enjoying it and the freedom of not having to do random crappy courses and only things I want to do. It gets better.

ReputationRep:
    I've been at uni for about 4 years, I've had to take time of for a breakdown due to problems with money and landlords, and now I'm an external student after another breakdown prevented me from completing my exams. I'm technically still in 2nd year, I work full time and just sit exams when they come up. I've come close to making friends at uni, but I never actually have. I do have an amazing boyfriend I've been with a few years, but my uni experience for the most part has just been anxiety, depression, loneliness and debt. God knows if I'll ever finish.. Even my job sucks and is lonely and I thought I'd feel better having some space from uni. ATM it seems like no matter what I do everything is just s***. You're welcome for this joyful post of positivity and reassurance lol x

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I mean I always had 'issues'. But everything blew up in second year. I'm in 3rd year and right now everything is too ok and I feel like it's the calm before the storm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Yep. I mean I always had 'issues'. But everything blew up in second year. I'm in 3rd year and right now everything is too ok and I feel like it's the calm before the storm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I totally get that! Whenever I have a good period where everything seems to be getting better I'm so anxious about what will ruin it that I can't enjoy it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes --

I have had some kind of anxiety issues for a couple of years, got to uni and it's blown up--

Had a panic attack every day during fresher's. Barely went out. Made 0 close friends. Hate my lectures. Hate labs. Hate tutorials.

I hate my course and I hate my uni but I like my flat and flatmates. I'm terrified of leaving and making an even worse choice of course.

I can't face taking a year out to work or whatever...

I've exams this week and had a few panic attacks / crying fits because I want to leave but don't know what to do.

Guess you just gotta ask for help somehow. It's out there, just gotta face it

ReputationRep:
    :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    Yes --

I've exams this week and had a few panic attacks / crying fits because I want to leave but don't know what to do.

Guess you just gotta ask for help somehow. It's out there, just gotta face it
    Have you talked to your uni about it? Like your tutor or anyone?

My uni was amazing when I spoke to them, I now sit exams in rooms of no more than 10 people, I get extra time and I'm able to take breaks, it all really helps my anxiety just knowing that I have those options in an exam. Plus they let me retake uncapped where I've had a panic attack that's c***ed it all up.

Definitely talk to your personal tutor if you haven't talked to anyone yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterberry)
    Lol I totally get that! Whenever I have a good period where everything seems to be getting better I'm so anxious about what will ruin it that I can't enjoy it :rolleyes:
    It's a great lie isn't it xD
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    My mental health was pretty bad before I went to uni, but in the last 2 years about, it has been an utter rollercoaster. Semester one seems to be pretty bad for me, it's like a trend, and my uni have became increasingly more **** at helping me. Sigh. I'm lucky I've yet to fail anything since I tend to hide in my academics, but other than uni work and gym, I have no friends, no social life, and increasingly worse mental health.

I urge you to speak to your GP and university about how you feel, perhaps the counselling service.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested I've just stumbled across a site called MeetUp, it has all kinds of events for all ages, all over the world. I think I'm going to go to some of their events because I feel like going to non-student events I'm less likely to find everyone is in their cliques and I'm Billy-no-mates as usual feeling awkward in the corner! It feels a bit less stressful to me as a way of throwing myself into making friends. It might be a bit more successful..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    My mental health was pretty bad before I went to uni, but in the last 2 years about, it has been an utter rollercoaster. Semester one seems to be pretty bad for me, it's like a trend, and my uni have became increasingly more **** at helping me. Sigh. I'm lucky I've yet to fail anything since I tend to hide in my academics, but other than uni work and gym, I have no friends, no social life, and increasingly worse mental health.

I urge you to speak to your GP and university about how you feel, perhaps the counselling service.
    I'm the same in terms of the loneliness aspect of uni and that, I've actually had quite a rough time so far. Not that I really want to get into it but, there just some absolutely horrible hurtful people out there. For a long time I was so afraid and ashamed that I just didn't leave my room for weeks, missing lectures and tutorials and that. It was when it started to affect my studies that I knew I couldn't just bury it deep inside like everything else.

It was actually when I saw people on here's stories and experiences (like your blog) about people who have not been ashamed to show they're struggling and it's alright to get help. I sent in a request to see a counsellor in November, and my first appointment is on Tuesday. Although I'm not yet okay with everything, and I know we haven't spoken before, it's just like to say thank you for making it seem like mental health is not such a taboo thing :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Sorry it's turned into such a ramble, I just thought I'd let you know the impact you have speaking about all of this stuff, even if it may not seem like much, I really appreciate it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Was I getting emotional all the way through writing this?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Absolutely

ReputationRep:
    It was my first time round because I had underlying depression, but after a few years out and getting on meds I chose an easier course and I really enjoy it, so it's all very good for my mental health.

ReputationRep:
    And this is why I have chosen not to go to University...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    I'm the same in terms of the loneliness aspect of uni and that, I've actually had quite a rough time so far. Not that I really want to get into it but, there just some absolutely horrible hurtful people out there. For a long time I was so afraid and ashamed that I just didn't leave my room for weeks, missing lectures and tutorials and that. It was when it started to affect my studies that I knew I couldn't just bury it deep inside like everything else.

It was actually when I saw people on here's stories and experiences (like your blog) about people who have not been ashamed to show they're struggling and it's alright to get help. I sent in a request to see a counsellor in November, and my first appointment is on Tuesday. Although I'm not yet okay with everything, and I know we haven't spoken before, it's just like to say thank you for making it seem like mental health is not such a taboo thing :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show

The loneliness sucks :sad: In that respect, it is entirely my own fault. I chose an uni with a rep for having a SU who love the whole drinking culture, which I have little to no interest in. I skipped a year as well, which probably didn't help (though I also partly blame the Scottish education system for being so beneath our A Level system ). I pretty much just drifted through most of the last semester. What did I learn? I actually can't tell you whatsoever.

And now I am blushing I'm really glad you've reached out to your counselling service, and I hope it goes well for you. :hugs: If you ever need anything, my inbox is always open and has plenty of space. :yep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I educate on TSR and in RL...I don't. Mainly cause I have no people to educate, the life of a loner :laugh: But thank you, that means a lot to me really. I'm bright red right now, I look like a right eejit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SassKing13)
    And this is why I have chosen not to go to University...
    If there is one thing that makes me glad to be at uni, it is the absolute independence I have - and how, in a weird way, it had improved my relationship with my daddy. I love my independence, and I plan to never return home once I graduate (not that I would as a) banned by father, and b) unsurprisingly, my mental health is actually far worse at home). When I lived at home, I would rarely speak to my daddy, even though I am the eldest. He never had to worry about me at all until I was 18 and finally got the balls to go to the GP about my mental health. I never caused trouble, always did brilliant at school - and I was jealous of the attention he gave my sister and brother.

But since I went to the GP in my final months of A2s and since moving out for uni, my relationship has only ever gotten better with him. From going to speaking perhaps once every two weeks about something (when at home) to phone calls every few days, it's been a blessing in disguise. And I can tell how much he misses me now because I am not at home for months on end now. :laugh:

Otherwise, yes, university? Incredibly stressful and not the best for mental health. I could be a poster girl for it. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    The loneliness sucks :sad: In that respect, it is entirely my own fault. I chose an uni with a rep for having a SU who love the whole drinking culture, which I have little to no interest in. I skipped a year as well, which probably didn't help (though I also partly blame the Scottish education system for being so beneath our A Level system ). I pretty much just drifted through most of the last semester. What did I learn? I actually can't tell you whatsoever.

And now I am blushing I'm really glad you've reached out to your counselling service, and I hope it goes well for you. :hugs: If you ever need anything, my inbox is always open and has plenty of space. :yep:

Spoiler:
    Show

I educate on TSR and in RL...I don't. Mainly cause I have no people to educate, the life of a loner :laugh: But thank you, that means a lot to me really. I'm bright red right now, I look like a right eejit.
    Thank you :lovehug:
    And what uni doesn't have a massive drinking culture :laugh:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    Thank you :lovehug:
    And what uni doesn't have a massive drinking culture :laugh:
    But this is like constant emails from the SU about all their stupid nights at the union, and I can't remove myself off the mailing list :cry2:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.