A waterslide sent me into a downward spiral once

Spoiler:
    Show

I'll show myself out

ReputationRep:
    it tried to but I'm still here b*tch! lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    But this is like constant emails from the SU about all their stupid nights at the union, and I can't remove myself off the mailing list :cry2:
    Damn that is annoying, coupled with all the constant facebook invites for these events and their endless posts in the university facebook group it makes it unavoidable :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    Damn that is annoying, coupled with all the constant facebook invites for these events and their endless posts in the university facebook group it makes it unavoidable :rolleyes:
    Roll on 2018 where I can remove myself from all of it :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of going to university and finding that their mental health has just deteriorated as time has gone on. Say you had a few problems before university but they were more or less under control and then you went to university, might not have been coping well but managed to stick it out for the 1st year. Then soon enough you realise you're in a downwards spiral and you don't really recognise yourself any more or even relate to your past experiences. It's like university has completely detached you from your reality and you're so trapped in your situation with the reminder of all the debt your currently in that nothing seems to be worth it but to just keep going and finish your degree. Which seems okay enough but then for some reason you can't actually imagine yourself finishing the degree because there seems to be this overwhelming obstacle called life that appears to be progressing ever so slowly and with new challenges every day that feel far bigger than they actually are. If you do eventually finish, you keep wondering to yourself fearfully with what type of person you'll be when this is all over because you know you'll never really feel like the same person again.
    I had a downward spiral but I was thinking about different things like being bored from doing the same sh*t everyday and seeing the same people in your halls 7 days a week compared to back home where you see different people in the weekends and weekdays. It just got really boring for me, then I lost motivation and didn't eat proper food like back home and turned skinny as F. I think it's normal for first years and sometimes second years to go into spirals like this.

I think the problem is that as a student your not in full control of your life, i.e you can't just take a holiday when you need one or indulge in a big hobby get a nice place to live cuz your responsibility is to get a degree and you've only got enough time and money for that and very little more... One thing I should point out is that you should enjoy the opportunity for a social life now that you have it cuz if you get a grad job in a different city then you have to start all over and its harder without loads of nearby people your age

Yes, but that was because I was wrongly diagnosed with unipolar depression only 6 months before uni and never got better despite treatment. In 2nd year I was diagnosed with bipolar, been on a mood stabiliser ever since and it works better than anything else I'v ever been given (7 different antidepressants, not just SSRIs). I still struggle with uni, but on the other hand, if I hadn't gone to uni things might have gone undetected much longer.
    I wouldn't say though that uni detached me from reality. For me it's a uni bubble, and I can't wait to finish, but it'll take me another semester, possibly more.

I think uni brings forth underlying issues more, since uni challenges all areas of life IMHO. Finance, friendships, accommodation, a lot more self- study, less structure, doing your own cooking, food shopping and washing clothes and keeping everything clean and tidy.

I had to take a year of temporary leave and was allowed to do my final year over two academic years. Got half of the assessments done, but still struggling. But much better than full-time study.

I strongly urge you to do get help. I can relate to feeling overwhelmed, but I never had the thought of being a completely different person after uni, if at all, I expect to have grown to understand myself better(my weaknesses and strengths). I can't gauge if you meant your sentence of being a different person as negative or positive.

ReputationRep:
    But this is like constant emails from the SU about all their stupid nights at the union, and I can't remove myself off the mailing list :cry2:
    Try and keep trying to contact someone that deals with this, because I think the drinking culture and how much it is "encouraged" is very dangerous and worrying. If you can't get through to someone, maybe contact NUS (National union of Students).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_mischy)
    Try and keep trying to contact someone that deals with this, because I think the drinking culture and how much it is "encouraged" is very dangerous and worrying. If you can't get through to someone, maybe contact NUS (National union of Students).
    My uni is not part of NUS (Scottish uni in an union that is defunct pretty much). I think they are attempts to have this changed, however it is just going at a rather slow pace for my liking. I don't much like my SU anyway, so I'm pretty biased.

ReputationRep:
    ye pretty much agree with everything in the OP. It got really bad, but I'm trying to fix everything now.

ReputationRep:
    My uni is not part of NUS (Scottish uni in an union that is defunct pretty much). I think they are attempts to have this changed, however it is just going at a rather slow pace for my liking. I don't much like my SU anyway, so I'm pretty biased.
    I'm sorry to here this. I hope you can you're managing things well though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_mischy)
    I'm sorry to here this. I hope you can you're managing things well though.
    Eh. I honestly could be a lot better. I know things are bad when even the psychiatrist has given up on you for now :laugh: I try to make light of it, because I am always going to be ill, I just have to get on and live with it. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    This match sound crazy to most, but bar a few difficult times at the start of uni, university has ask actually been a highly positive experience amongst other difficulties and has actually really helped me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    I am wondering if anyone has had the experience of going to university and finding that their mental health has just deteriorated as time has gone on. Say you had a few problems before university but they were more or less under control and then you went to university, might not have been coping well but managed to stick it out for the 1st year. Then soon enough you realise you're in a downwards spiral and you don't really recognise yourself any more or even relate to your past experiences. It's like university has completely detached you from your reality and you're so trapped in your situation with the reminder of all the debt your currently in that nothing seems to be worth it but to just keep going and finish your degree. Which seems okay enough but then for some reason you can't actually imagine yourself finishing the degree because there seems to be this overwhelming obstacle called life that appears to be progressing ever so slowly and with new challenges every day that feel far bigger than they actually are. If you do eventually finish, you keep wondering to yourself fearfully with what type of person you'll be when this is all over because you know you'll never really feel like the same person again.
    YES I have found that university has made me rather depressed and has exacerbated my social anxiety as I'm forced to always be around people so that stressed me out and the complex nature of my course is making me stressed to, to the point where I have exams in days yet I'm actively avoiding revision

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.