Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi thank you for accepting me here. I am 32 year old married woman with 2 kids aged 12 and 9. I wanted some opinions that are unbiased so I can see the pros and cons of a degree. I have lots of financial commitments, my husband and I are saving for a mortgage (we privately rent) so I cant take any decision without careful consideration.

I have worked in the retail industry for 15 years in various roles including supervisory and low level management. I currently work as Administration Section Leader for Asda and have also been a Customer service manager. I love people and felt in a bit of a rut so decided to study HR at a basic level part time to dip my toes in the world of studying. I work 4 days then study on the 5th day. I love studying and it makes me feel fufilled.

So my question is Do I go further and study a business degree or just do the HR level 3 course and see where that leads? No one in my immediate family has a degree and I think the media scares them in the costs involved and the likelyhood of getting a job after.
    Maybe I am having a mid life crisis but I think if I dont do it soon I never will!!
    HELPPPPP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emlou84)
    Hi thank you for accepting me here. I am 32 year old married woman with 2 kids aged 12 and 9. I wanted some opinions that are unbiased so I can see the pros and cons of a degree. I have lots of financial commitments, my husband and I are saving for a mortgage (we privately rent) so I cant take any decision without careful consideration.

I have worked in the retail industry for 15 years in various roles including supervisory and low level management. I currently work as Administration Section Leader for Asda and have also been a Customer service manager. I love people and felt in a bit of a rut so decided to study HR at a basic level part time to dip my toes in the world of studying. I work 4 days then study on the 5th day. I love studying and it makes me feel fufilled.

So my question is Do I go further and study a business degree or just do the HR level 3 course and see where that leads? No one in my immediate family has a degree and I think the media scares them in the costs involved and the likelyhood of getting a job after.
    Maybe I am having a mid life crisis but I think if I dont do it soon I never will!!
    HELPPPPP
    If you're considering full-time uni study, Student Finance will probably be the most important consideration in your situation. It isn't generous and is geared towards helping support 18-21 year olds who generally have few financial committments and who rent a single room in shared accommodation. Even then, there's no guarantee that it will cover all living costs. To add to your issue, your Maintenance Loan will take your husband's income into account and could be reduced because of it. If you're used to earning a full-time wage and being able to save, Student Finance could come as a very nasty shock.

Get an estimate of your entitlement by putting your household basics into the official calculator:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

The Open University might be a good option. You study mainly at home and you won't get any Maintenance Loan, but it would allow you to study and work at the same time.

Having started uni aged 44 - albeit single, childless and with no mortgage/rent to pay - I very much recommend it. A fantastic experience, to the point where I now work as a uni research assistant (amongst other things). Best move I ever made, but it did take a lot of years of heavy duty saving before I could afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emlou84)

HELPPPPP
    In addition to the other comment left on here, there is always the possibility that you could progress within HR (if you wanted to!) through your employer.

After completing your CIPD level 3, you would then look to study the level 5 or study a HR degree part time. Depending on your employer, you might be able to get a learning loan with them and work 3/4 days a week to do this. Always worth exploring if you want to learn and get a higher qualification whilst progressing your career.

Employers who fund staff qualifications always have repayment schemes in place (in the event that you leave) but if you are looking to stay with them for many years to come, this could be a very cost effective way of doing things. Perhaps you could search for the training policy that your current employer has and see how they do things.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice, perhaps level 5 part time is best for me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.