Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am feeling extremely low. I am feeling completely lost in my life right now. At school it isn't as bad because I am focused on work but when I get home I become completely bored and angry, lost, and confused. I don't really have any "true" friends, and I struggle to make new ones. I don't really have many hobbies. I have low self esteem, I think I am too thin and am unhappy with myself. I am requesting a counselor at school but this will take some time. Anyone with any words of advice? Anyone felt like this before? normal for a 14 year old? thanks, I am male by the way

I've struggled with depression and anxiety. Like you I also feel I've never had a friend I've ever felt extremely close to like some people have. My suggestion to you is not to wait to be referred to your school counsellor. Go to your GP and tell them how you feel. Mental health is a serious issue. I didn't get help for it when I needed to and it severely impacted my GCSE results. If you don't want your GP to call your parents or the house number, you can tell them to call you on your mobile. You need to see a therapist for depression. A school counsellor is not a therapist.

Remember no one is ever totally alone. If you can think of just one person in your life who you feel will not judge you and will support you, go to them. Having one person to confide in is better than having no one.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I've struggled with depression and anxiety. Like you I also feel I've never had a friend I've ever felt extremely close to like some people have. My suggestion to you is not to wait to be referred to your school counsellor. Go to your GP and tell them how you feel. Mental health is a serious issue. I didn't get help for it when I needed to and it severely impacted my GCSE results. If you don't want your GP to call your parents or the house number, you can tell them to call you on your mobile. You need to see a therapist for depression. A school counsellor is not a therapist.

Remember no one is ever totally alone. If you can think of just one person in your life who you feel will not judge you and will support you, go to them. Having one person to confide in is better than having no one.
    Thank you for your words of advice. It has become significantly worse over the last few days. I seem to be okay in the mornings but in the afternoons and evenings I can get pretty mad like tonight. It can be small things that trigger it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.