Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please give me pros and cons of the following A Levels as I'm thinking of taking THREE of them for my A Levels (which I will be starting this year):
    English Literature (GCSE A*)
    Media Studies
    Chemistry (GCSE A*)
    French (GCSE A)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjade08)
    Please give me pros and cons of the following A Levels as I'm thinking of taking THREE of them for my A Levels (which I will be starting this year):
    Media Studies
    Chemistry (GCSE A*)
    French (GCSE A)
    I do chemistry A-level currently in year 12 and I'm planning to take chem next year too
    Chemistry has to be one of my favourite subjects because a lot of it links to GCSE especially if you do triple science and even if you don't do triple science a lot of it links so you will be absolutely fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    I do chemistry A-level currently in year 12 and I'm planning to take chem next year too
    Chemistry has to be one of my favourite subjects because a lot of it links to GCSE especially if you do triple science and even if you don't do triple science a lot of it links so you will be absolutely fine
    I've always loved chemistry since I was really young and I find chemistry the easiest of my sciences (I do triple science). Is it hard? Is there a lot of math involved? Thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I've always loved chemistry since I was really young and I find chemistry the easiest of my sciences (I do triple science). Is it hard? Is there a lot of math involved? Thank you
    Aw that's nice Same haha It's not hard the only hard bit I find is organic chemistry but it's not hard hard but once you get your head around it's all good Nope there are a few more equations for calculations but more from gcse We haven't finished the whole syllabus so I'm not quite sure but looking at the textbook chemistry looks fun What board are you on ? Also what are you aiming to get for your gcse chem ?

ReputationRep:
    Media Studies
    Chemistry (GCSE A*)
    French (GCSE A)
    i can give you an insight to the two i'm currently doing; english and chemistry.

English - Pros

-highly respected A Level. good for unis...shows you have good analysis skills, communication skills etc
    - You get to study books, plays and poems! this in itself is of COURSE a pro
    - interesting discussions; you can take part in discussions/debates in all sorts of areas surrounding the literature you're studying
    - the answer is never wrong...it's just your opinion. with plenty of analysis + context + relevant points

Cons

-lots of group discussions, class discussions. if you're shy(like me) and not so good at the sort of thing, you might find this subject quite difficult. the discussion aspect is considered one of the most important areas to the subject.
    - lots of essays. if you're not an essay person, or can't meet deadlines when it comes to essays; this subject ain't for you, my friend.

Chemistry

pros- a highly regarded A Level. considered one of the most difficult; so if you do very well in it, top kudos to you, you'll be very impressive for unis & future employers
    - the experiments are fun! You get to see some cool reactions. practicals are always neat.

cons
    - there's quite a load of maths involved in chemistry, more than you might expect. it's painful.
    - LOADS of content to learn; so much. it takes a lot of revision to get everything mastered. certainly not a subject for the faint of hearted.

ReputationRep:
    french is the only one of those i do, so:

pros
    - knowing a foreign language is very useful & a good skill to have
    - much better than gcse
    - you actually learn the language instead of memorising 300 words for controlled assessments
    - you'll probably have a small class bc not many people take it
    - you can rewind the recording on the listening so you won't get the question wrong if someone sneezes during the listening exam

cons
    - it can be very overwhelming at the beginning
    - you will actually have to know grammar (but don't worry you'll go over the basics at the beginning of the year)
    - speaking can be a bit nervewracking

ReputationRep:
    for french :
    pros;
    . really rewarding as you're learning a language
    . bigger emphasis on native materials to get you used to it
    . classes are usually small so lots of teacher attention
    . insight into french culture through articles and books studied
    . sets you up well if you want to do a year abroad

cons;
    . workload is no joke, expect to cry or have a breakdown at least once
    . if you hate english lit pls love yourself and don't take it, you have to study books and films in a literary context
    . speaking
    . grammar starts to make no sense as you have to actually know it now
    . no prescribed vocab list so you find yourself learning words upon words and still come across loads of new ones each lesson
    . if you take sciences with it you'll probably get looks of awe every time you say you take french (could be a pro, also happens if you take straight humanities since french is notoriously hard)
    . independent work required is also no joke it's not enough to simply do what has been set

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Aw that's nice Same haha It's not hard the only hard bit I find is organic chemistry but it's not hard hard but once you get your head around it's all good Nope there are a few more equations for calculations but more from gcse We haven't finished the whole syllabus so I'm not quite sure but looking at the textbook chemistry looks fun What board are you on ? Also what are you aiming to get for your gcse chem ?
    I know all of the GCSE Chemistry equations and I can memorise equations pretty well so I guess it shouldn't be too hard. My predicted grade is A* and that is also what I've gotten in my coursework Also, I think the board is AQA but don't quote me on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    i can give you an insight to the two i'm currently doing; english and chemistry.

English - Pros

-highly respected A Level. good for unis...shows you have good analysis skills, communication skills etc
    - You get to study books, plays and poems! this in itself is of COURSE a pro
    - interesting discussions; you can take part in discussions/debates in all sorts of areas surrounding the literature you're studying
    - the answer is never wrong...it's just your opinion. with plenty of analysis + context + relevant points

Cons

-lots of group discussions, class discussions. if you're shy(like me) and not so good at the sort of thing, you might find this subject quite difficult. the discussion aspect is considered one of the most important areas to the subject.
    - lots of essays. if you're not an essay person, or can't meet deadlines when it comes to essays; this subject ain't for you, my friend.

Chemistry

pros- a highly regarded A Level. considered one of the most difficult; so if you do very well in it, top kudos to you, you'll be very impressive for unis & future employers
    - the experiments are fun! You get to see some cool reactions. practicals are always neat.

cons
    - there's quite a load of maths involved in chemistry, more than you might expect. it's painful.
    - LOADS of content to learn; so much. it takes a lot of revision to get everything mastered. certainly not a subject for the faint of hearted.
    I'm pretty sure English is a subject I will take since it is 99% guaranteed that I will be getting the same teacher I have now (I am going to my school's sixth form) For Chemistry, I am worried because I'm not great at math but I can remember most equations with ease, do you think the math is hard? Thank you for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintrnslation)
    french is the only one of those i do, so:

pros
    - knowing a foreign language is very useful & a good skill to have
    - much better than gcse
    - you actually learn the language instead of memorising 300 words for controlled assessments
    - you'll probably have a small class bc not many people take it
    - you can rewind the recording on the listening so you won't get the question wrong if someone sneezes during the listening exam

cons
    - it can be very overwhelming at the beginning
    - you will actually have to know grammar (but don't worry you'll go over the basics at the beginning of the year)
    - speaking can be a bit nervewracking
    I really want to do French however, I'm worried that it won't leave many doors open for me job-wise as I don't know what I want to do as an occupation yet. Do you think that would matter? Any advice? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
    for french :
    pros;
    . really rewarding as you're learning a language
    . bigger emphasis on native materials to get you used to it
    . classes are usually small so lots of teacher attention
    . insight into french culture through articles and books studied
    . sets you up well if you want to do a year abroad

cons;
    . workload is no joke, expect to cry or have a breakdown at least once
    . if you hate english lit pls love yourself and don't take it, you have to study books and films in a literary context
    . speaking
    . grammar starts to make no sense as you have to actually know it now
    . no prescribed vocab list so you find yourself learning words upon words and still come across loads of new ones each lesson
    . if you take sciences with it you'll probably get looks of awe every time you say you take french (could be a pro, also happens if you take straight humanities since french is notoriously hard)
    . independent work required is also no joke it's not enough to simply do what has been set
    I love English Literature however, do you think it is harder to do in a foreign language or do you get a lot of support from the teacher? I independently teach myself languages any way so I don't feel like the independent work will be as much of a problem as it could be. Do you find the subject hard? What advice would you give to someone just starting it? Thank you for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    I love English Literature however, do you think it is harder to do in a foreign language or do you get a lot of support from the teacher? I independently teach myself languages any way so I don't feel like the independent work will be as much of a problem as it could be. Do you find the subject hard? What advice would you give to someone just starting it? Thank you for your reply!
    it'll probably be easier for you if you're doing lit, but i didn't take it so my analysis skills are pretty weak lol. we get support if we need it, and get a lot of feedback on our essays so we know where to improve. in class we're always contributing ideas and our teacher will give us ways to improve or develop them more. i actually find it easier in french than english, although as i said i'm not very good even so
    ah cool, which languages are you learning? i don't find it hard as such, the work is fairly standard, but it can be quite overwhelming at first. it's important to do a little a lot of the time as you can't just cram languages. it's quite different to my other subjects, but if you're doing other essay based subjects i think you need to be careful on how you manage your time. don't let those essays pile up because you'll definitely regret it lol.
    make sure to be confident with grammar before you start - although you cover everything from scratch, it really helps if you already understand the rules (and exceptions) and can use good structures in your essays
    if you have any more questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure English is a subject I will take since it is 99% guaranteed that I will be getting the same teacher I have now (I am going to my school's sixth form) For Chemistry, I am worried because I'm not great at math but I can remember most equations with ease, do you think the math is hard? Thank you for your reply!
    english is a great choice

Ok well for deciding Chemistry; yes the maths is quite hard. I'm not the most mathsy person either but you can get your head around it. But i'm lucky enough to have two very good chemistry teachers and a small class. idk what it's like with your school, but maybe find out what the teachers are like? Because i know someone who failed their chemistry course simply because the teacher failed to teach them the content properly.

But if you're very self disciplined, then yes, go for it. But honestly, chemistry is very, very nit picky and technical. Just bear that in mind. if it's not an area you want to go into employment-wise, then perhaps re consider.

Good luck with your choices. ((:

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do French however, I'm worried that it won't leave many doors open for me job-wise as I don't know what I want to do as an occupation yet. Do you think that would matter? Any advice? Thank you!
    if anything, it will open more doors for you bc you'd be able to do whatever you eventually choose in a french speaking country. i read something somewhere that said that french is the most sought-after foreign language by uk employers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
    it'll probably be easier for you if you're doing lit, but i didn't take it so my analysis skills are pretty weak lol. we get support if we need it, and get a lot of feedback on our essays so we know where to improve. in class we're always contributing ideas and our teacher will give us ways to improve or develop them more. i actually find it easier in french than english, although as i said i'm not very good even so
    ah cool, which languages are you learning? i don't find it hard as such, the work is fairly standard, but it can be quite overwhelming at first. it's important to do a little a lot of the time as you can't just cram languages. it's quite different to my other subjects, but if you're doing other essay based subjects i think you need to be careful on how you manage your time. don't let those essays pile up because you'll definitely regret it lol.
    make sure to be confident with grammar before you start - although you cover everything from scratch, it really helps if you already understand the rules (and exceptions) and can use good structures in your essays
    if you have any more questions just ask
    I'm self-teaching Japanese at the moment If I were to do 2 languages at A Level, would you think it would be too hard? Thank you for your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    english is a great choice

Ok well for deciding Chemistry; yes the maths is quite hard. I'm not the most mathsy person either but you can get your head around it. But i'm lucky enough to have two very good chemistry teachers and a small class. idk what it's like with your school, but maybe find out what the teachers are like? Because i know someone who failed their chemistry course simply because the teacher failed to teach them the content properly.

But if you're very self disciplined, then yes, go for it. But honestly, chemistry is very, very nit picky and technical. Just bear that in mind. if it's not an area you want to go into employment-wise, then perhaps re consider.

Good luck with your choices. ((:
    I've had all the teachers before and I get on with them all well (some more than others). There will usually be a small ish class of about 8-15 people in our school. I don't know what I want to do for a job so I wanted to take it since it's a core subject Thank you for the information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostintrnslation)
    if anything, it will open more doors for you bc you'd be able to do whatever you eventually choose in a french speaking country. i read something somewhere that said that french is the most sought-after foreign language by uk employers
    That's quite cool, I never thought of it like that. Do you think 2 languages at A Level (one starting the second year) will be too hard to do? Thank you for all this information

ReputationRep:
    I'm self-teaching Japanese at the moment If I were to do 2 languages at A Level, would you think it would be too hard? Thank you for your time
    i actually used to teach myself japanese, i'd love to get back into it
    there are two people in my class who do both french and spanish (albeit for one he's fluent in spanish but finds it challenging even so) and from their experiences, i don't think it'd be impossibly hard, depending on what the second language is. ultimately a levels are about how well you can deal with the workload and manage your time, so if you dedicate enough time to each language it'd be fine. obviously you'd have a much higher workload compared to someone who did maths and science, but can you see yourself spending half of your time on languages? independent study is very important here so if you go out of your way to find good resources and native materials to consume, you'll do well

ReputationRep:
    That's quite cool, I never thought of it like that. Do you think 2 languages at A Level (one starting the second year) will be too hard to do? Thank you for all this information
    i do 2 languages at a level now and it's absolutely fine. it depends whether your college will let you start another language in the second year, seeing as the as doesn't count for anything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.