Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am portuguese and I am planning to go to the University of Essex in August of this year. The thing is my parents don't have a lot of money and I need to know whether I'll be able to afford to live there only on a part-time salary. I'd also like to know if it is possible to put some money aside for savings.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apg07)
    I am portuguese and I am planning to go to the University of Essex in August of this year. The thing is my parents don't have a lot of money and I need to know whether I'll be able to afford to live there only on a part-time salary. I'd also like to know if it is possible to put some money aside for savings.
    Thank you
    Hi Apg07,

Life is more expensive in the UK than in Portugal but not a lot more than if you were moving away from home to study in Lisbon, for example.

Things that can be really expensive in comparison to Portugal are eating out and alcoholic drinks, but if you get a part-time job and are prepared to budget carefully then you should be able to manage.

If you can, try and get the cheapest accommodation, which is Towers. They are very sociable so it will be easy to make friends. Also because they are right on campus you are close to everything.

Take a look at these two pages on the Uni's website. I think you will find them helpful.

http://www.essex.ac.uk/fees-and-fund...y/default.aspx and http://www.essex.ac.uk/fees-and-fund...g/default.aspx

Boa sorte!

ReputationRep:
    Thank so much for answering, I found those links to be very helpfull. Just one more quick question if you dont mind. Their estimate seems a little high. Do you know how much is the average part-time salary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apg07)
    Thank so much for answering, I found those links to be very helpfull. Just one more quick question if you dont mind. Their estimate seems a little high. Do you know how much is the average part-time salary?
    Hi again.

Sorry, I actually live in Portugal myself so I am completely out of touch with UK wages.

However, my daughter, who is currently studying at Essex, has managed to get a part-time job on campus this year, which pays £7.60 an hour. I couldn't say if that's a normal wage though.

Also, on the whole my daughter's costs are pretty much in line with what the website says.

Hope this helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.