Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my friend charging me too much petrol money? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend gives me lifts every day to college and back depending on if we both start/finish at the same time. He charges me 50p a journey to go about 5/6 miles. He doesn't go out of his way whatsoever to give me a lift as my house is on the way. Sometimes he goes home early if his lesson has been cancelled leaving me to get the bus with an hour or so notice and sometimes he goes out with friends after college and so can't give me a lift. Usually i'll pay at the beginning of the term so i feel like I'm being cheated a bit because I've paid for these journeys. He recently asked me to pay him £2.50 more than the correct amount (if you add up all the lifts). I already have to buy a bus ticket so i could just not get lifts but it takes a hell of a lot longer to get back. What should I do? Should I confront him and ask him if he could lower the price? If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd only ever ask for like £10 pounds a term of petrol money at the maximum, especially if i wasn't going out my way..

ReputationRep:
    tbh i don't think 50p is unreasonable [the bus costs a lot more and is a lot more inconvenient]

however, if he isn't going out of his way or anything [and he's your friend] he shouldn't really be charging you money ...as you're friends.

I would stop paying in advance if i was you if the journeys are getting cancelled.

ReputationRep:
    well it's his car so it's up to him to decide - assuming you're paying 50p a day so £2.50 a week it's not that much money really over a whole year although I agree you shouldn't be paying up front and then having lifts cancelled all the time (can understand why he doesn't want to wait around but what if you didn't bring your bus pass etc?). No harm in asking him if you can drop it to £1.50 a week or something and you should certainly ask to pay weekly at the end of each week so that you don't lose out.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Paying up front seems strange. I've always paid after the journey.

ReputationRep:
    If anything he has a good idea going and should look for additional students to give lifts. He has a small business idea. There's really no reason he can't charge you, he is providing a service and you are paying for it. Compare it to a bus or taxia nd you're getting a great deal.

If you have a problem then discuss it with him. The issue is paying ahead of time. You are paying for a service that you are not always receiving. If you're unhappy then deal with it. However if you start paying after the journey be aware that you won't have a right to complain if you don't get a lift. Simply put the only issue is the paying beforehand. Your friend is smart for taking something that is no trouble for him, doesn't require extra work and using it solve someone else's problem. There's far more potential in this than simply charging you 50p per journey. If I were you I'd be trying to get in on this. See if you can't make more money from this. Your friend identified a problem you have and solved it, I'm sure others have similar problems. Get in on this and start making money yourself. I'd see this as an opportunity, not a problem.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.