The Student Room Group

University Choices Advice

Hi guys, hope your New Year is getting off to a good start!

I've applied to read English Literature at university. So far, I've received offers from Royal Holloway, Birkbeck and the University of Surrey.
I'm torn as to which one I should choose. Royal Holloway and Birkbeck have solid reputations for the humanities, especially English. However, Surrey has the only English Lit degree in the UK that gives the option to spend a year in industry - a valuable bit of experience. It was also ranked as the 4th best university overall in the Guardian 2017 league tables. I live fairly close to all of them so accommodation won't be a problem. I don't really care about the nightlife, so please try to base your advice on academic reputation, ect.
After my degree, I intend to take the GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) and train as a solicitor.

What would you do if you were in my situation?
Original post by DasChet
Hi guys, hope your New Year is getting off to a good start!

I've applied to read English Literature at university. So far, I've received offers from Royal Holloway, Birkbeck and the University of Surrey.
I'm torn as to which one I should choose. Royal Holloway and Birkbeck have solid reputations for the humanities, especially English. However, Surrey has the only English Lit degree in the UK that gives the option to spend a year in industry - a valuable bit of experience. It was also ranked as the 4th best university overall in the Guardian 2017 league tables. I live fairly close to all of them so accommodation won't be a problem. I don't really care about the nightlife, so please try to base your advice on academic reputation, ect.
After my degree, I intend to take the GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) and train as a solicitor.

What would you do if you were in my situation?

I'd recommend choosing based on where you think you'll succeed the best. Look at the course content/module options. Speak to current students and staff and get a feel for what is good or bad about the course (and how that matches your personal preferences). Visit visit visit - gatecrash on lectures if you can (if you ask they'll often agree to you shadowing a current first year for a day). Ask about organisation and timetables - if you're going to be commuting to uni from home then having a single 1 hour lecture at 9am and another at 4pm is not ideal.

For Surrey ask about the year in industry. If you want to be a solicitor then getting relevant experience is more important than just spending a year working in any old job. Be aware though that the route to qualifying as a solicitor is currently being reviewed and so the GDL route might not be available by the time you graduate (it might be more vocational or you may just be expected to self study): https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/law-sector/changes-to-qualifying-as-a-lawyer

You've got plenty of time to decide so use that time wisely to research and find the best fit for you.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice! Really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest