Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    I did not get the electrolysis calculation.
    I got 3 gases as hydrogen (for negative electrode), water and chlorine gas for positive electrode.

3 half equations:
    2Cl- + 2e- -> Cl2
    2H+ + 2e- -> H2
    H+ + OH- -> H2O

I got something negative for the kj/mol, because you had to use negative temperature change (exothermic reaction)

Can't remember what I got for the last question.
    The three gases were hydrogen, chlorine and oxygen in pretty sure
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emm22)
    The three gases were hydrogen, chlorine and oxygen in pretty sure
    At least we're both sure to get 2/3 marks.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone sure about the 1 marker and 3 marker for the PVC part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubercaz25)
    Anyone sure about the 1 marker and 3 marker for the PVC part?
    1 mark: polyvinyl chloride
    3 mark: chlorothene (monomer) going to polychloroethane (same as pvc)

ReputationRep:
    What will be the mistakes in energy level diagram?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saad090)
    What will be the mistakes in energy level diagram?
    The products were on a line above the reactants, when it should be below as it is an exothermic reaction.

The reactants line was incomplete as it only showed methanol. Oxygen was missing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starbox359)
    What did you get for the faradays question? I got 0.02g
    It was 0.02 moles of copper. So you multiply 0.02 by 63.5 = 1.27 g

ReputationRep:
    I think one question I deffo screwed up was the one involving Silicon Fluoride and silicon Chloride. You had to say why Silicon chloride had a higher boiling point that silicon fluoride.

I waffled on about valence electron being further from the nucleus in fluorine... before realising that was rubbish. I eventually said the Silicon fluoride had weaker intermolecular forces than the other so it had a lower boiling point. Not sure if that is right.

And what was the other compound in that question? I think I got my covalent and ionic bonding mixed up under pressure as I left that question till last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solark)
    Mate i got 405 what did you do?
    I got 403.2 and rounded it to 403. I didn't round the earlier parts of the calculation at all as I could see what was coming. There will be a small spread for the final answer. We'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MemZi)
    Oh my days that was a maths exam 😳
    You are right, it was pretty much math's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    At least we're both sure to get 2/3 marks.
    Yeah I put oxygen as the third gas.

4OH- > 2 H2O + O2 + 4e-

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for naming that organic compound with the 2 Bromine atoms in it?

I put Di-bromobutane. But really not sure about that.

It was a 4 carbon chain so pretty sure the butane bit is right. But I'm sure it was only 1 mark so that alone won't be enough.

Looked online... I think full answer is 2,3 Di-bromo-butane as you can have 1,4 as well but on our paper it was 2,3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darwinion)
    What did people put for naming that organic compound with the 2 Bromine atoms in it?

It was a 4 carbon chain so pretty sure the butane bit is right. But I'm sure it was only 1 mark so that alone won't be enough.

Looked online... I think full answer is 2,3 Di-bromo-butane as you can have 1,4 as well but on our paper it was 2,3
    Its 2,3- dibromobutane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IChamindi)
    Its 2,3- dibromobutane.
    Right... I just didn't put the 2,3. Think rest it's enough for the mark? It's just another isomer of the same compound.

ReputationRep:
    Right... I just didn't put the 2,3. Think rest it's enough for the mark? It's just another isomer of the same compound.
    It was a 2 mark question, so they will give 1 mark I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I found the boiling point questions (silicon/covalent bonds) really difficult. For the first one I spoke about the difference in number of shells/force of attraction with nucleus. For the second I said more electrons are shared as oxygen only has 6 electrons in its outer shell.

ReputationRep:
    I think one question I deffo screwed up was the one involving Silicon Fluoride and silicon Chloride. You had to say why Silicon chloride had a higher boiling point that silicon fluoride.

I waffled on about valence electron being further from the nucleus in fluorine... before realising that was rubbish. I eventually said the Silicon fluoride had weaker intermolecular forces than the other so it had a lower boiling point. Not sure if that is right.

And what was the other compound in that question? I think I got my covalent and ionic bonding mixed up under pressure as I left that question till last.
    I too waffled on like crazy. I'm shocked at how I performed. Really need an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by user123445)
    I found the boiling point questions (silicon/covalent bonds) really difficult. For the first one I spoke about the difference in number of shells/force of attraction with nucleus. For the second I said more electrons are shared as oxygen only has 6 electrons in its outer shell.
    I even forgot to draw the electrons round the Florine atoms. Only remembered to draw the overlapping electrons. I'm still hopeful

ReputationRep:

That was the whole compound though - it only asked for the hydrocarbon used to make it which was butene and it went colourless

ReputationRep:
    grade boundaries for papers combined? around 117 for an A?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.