Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a year 11 student choosing my A levels and a little bit stuck. I'm definitely going for subjects that would increase my chances of getting on/help me with a psychology course at university. I've been thinking psychology, biology, maths and further maths, but I was wondering if English literature would be more helpful than further maths in being variation and an essay based subject? Or would English even be better than biology?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    x

ReputationRep:
    No, those are pretty good.

Maths will help you with the statistics - no need to go further though unless you're really keen for maths. Biology will help you with the biological/biopsychology aspects.

Maybe health and social care or sociology - they would both crossover with psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cynosure15)
    I'm a year 11 student choosing my A levels and a little bit stuck. I'm definitely going for subjects that would increase my chances of getting on/help me with a psychology course at university. I've been thinking psychology, biology, maths and further maths, but I was wondering if English literature would be more helpful than further maths in being variation and an essay based subject? Or would English even be better than biology?
    That is the best combination really, you can swap further maths for anything and it won't really make much difference. I wouldn't take english literature if your not really interested in it - I found that it takes the most time and can be quite tiresome if your not too interested!

ReputationRep:
    If it helps I have applied for psychology (and have got 3 offers) and I study bio, spanish and economics and did study chemistry I'd say get rid of further maths and keep English for the essay based side and variety like you said

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all! (: If it helps any, I'm supposed to be aiming for Russell Group unis, just in case that might change the suggestions (e.g they rank maths higher than english)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.