Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I moved into shared accomodation and we split all the bills.
    One of my house mates is lead bill payer and is now in his overdraft because i paid a day late because my bank account had been put on hold due to fraud.
    He has been charged a fee for going into his overdraft. Is this fee my responsibility even though I paid my part of the bill and they didnt have sufficiant funds or is it my responsibility?
    Thankz in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You made all the effort to pay it, you couldn't for a legitimate reason, it's not your fault. It's your housemate's fault for being irresponsible enough to run so much into their overdraft before the bill came out, and being so financially irresponsible in general.

ReputationRep:
    He is now saying he is going to go to citizens advice, so could he legally do something to make me pay for the fee? (complicated situation) if you know anything about the law behind it?

(Original post by Glassapple)
    You made all the effort to pay it, you couldn't for a legitimate reason, it's not your fault. It's your housemate's fault for being irresponsible enough to run so much into their overdraft before the bill came out, and being so financially irresponsible in general.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If you committed to paying on X day and didn't then it is your fault. The correct thing to do is to offer to pay, and the correct thing for him to do given your mitigating circumstances is to either refuse, or to offer to split the cost with you.

Talk it through like adults ffs :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gigglebar)
    He is now saying he is going to go to citizens advice, so could he legally do something to make me pay for the fee? (complicated situation) if you know anything about the law behind it?
    He has nothing, the bill is in his name, not yours. A legal viewpoint would be that he has legally signed up to pay all of it, from only his account, and you are being nice enough to help him with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this is on you. It's not his fault that your share wasn't paid on time...

You should offer to pay it otherwise he's being forced to pay for something that's because of your account. You should have made the effort to make sure he got the payment on time...

ReputationRep:
    I had a legit reason for not paying on time - i physically couldnt. i have offered to split the cost of the fee but he wont have any of it. he has made me pay his fees previously when it was not my fault and i was nice enough to pay for him to get out of debt, im not doing it all the time just so he can use all the money to go out and get pissed.
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    If you committed to paying on X day and didn't then it is your fault. The correct thing to do is to offer to pay, and the correct thing for him to do given your mitigating circumstances is to either refuse, or to offer to split the cost with you.

Talk it through like adults ffs :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)

You should offer to pay it otherwise he's being forced to pay for something that's because of your account. You should have made the effort to make sure he got the payment on time...
    Yeah, because their account being suddenly frozen by their bank due to fraud, with all their money in, is totally their fault right?

ReputationRep:
    So, just to clarify - the money was supposed to be in his account on a certain date. It wasn't all there because you paid late, so the bill was taken out and the amount that was missing because of your missing payment, was taken from his overdraft, and he got a fee for that.

If I have the facts correct, it's your fault he incurred that fee, do the decent thing and pay his fee for him. FFS...

ReputationRep:
    i tried all i could. my account was frozen and had no cash because the people who stole the money out my account stole pretty much all of it. i was a victim of fraud so there was no way around it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because their account being suddenly frozen due to fraud, with all their money in, is totally their fault right?
    Not saying it's the OP's fault necessarily but it is his account that's caused the issue. He has to take responsibility for late payments due to that.

He can go directly to the bank and make the issue clear but it's not his friend's responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    So, just to clarify - the money was supposed to be in his account on a certain date. It wasn't all there because you paid late, so the bill was taken out and the amount that was missing because of your missing payment, was taken from his overdraft, and he got a fee for that.

If I have the facts correct, it's your fault he incurred that fee, do the decent thing and pay his fee for him. FFS...
    I don't understand how the bank suddenly freezing the OP's account with the OP having no prior knowledge of this event, and that the OP was intending to pay on time as usual, is the OP's fault?

ReputationRep:
    Not saying it's the OP's fault necessarily but it is his account that's caused the issue. He has to take responsibility for late payments due to that.

He can go directly to the bank and make the issue clear but it's not his friend's responsibility.
    It's his friend's responsibility that he was stupid enough to put the bill in his name alone with only his account details. Legally the OP owes the friend nothing at all; it's not in the OP's name or tied to their account in any way. The OP cannot be forced to pay and has no legal obligation to.

If I signed up to pay a £500 bill and you told me you'd pay me some of it and you didn't (for whatever reason), I'd be the idiot for even signing that contract in my name alone with nothing about you on the bill at all.

ReputationRep:
    because my account was frozen because all my money pretty much gone due to fraud. i couldnt do anything. my account has been frozen for the past 5 days. what was i meant to do. surely me having no money to buy food at the moment - the decent thing to do is to offer to pay the fee, considering they didnt have enough money in their bank anyway to cover the bill eventhough they knew they had an overdraft and they knew they were the named person on the bill so he knew it was coming out. i told him in advance my account had been frozen.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how the bank suddenly freezing the OP's account with the OP having no prior knowledge of this event, and that the OP was intending to pay on time as usual, is the OP's fault?
    Unfortunate circumstances do not alleviate you of your rent responsibilities or any incurred fees in the real world. The OP missed his part of the rent, therefore the decent thing to do would be to pay the fee. Why should the other guy be responsible and foot the bill when when he's already saved their ass by having his overdraft dipped into and also paid his part?

The sense of entitlement in some people is unreal...

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunate circumstances do not alleviate you of your rent responsibilities or any incurred fees in the real world. The OP missed his part of the rent, therefore the decent thing to do would be to pay the fee. Why should the other guy be responsible when he's already saved their ass by having his overdraft dipped into?

The sense of entitlement in some people is unreal...
    What about the friend's responsibility about being so financially irresponsible to sign up to pay a bill in their name alone, on promises made by people he barely knows, on a bank account that has nearly maxed its overdraft?

The real world cares about facts and who's on the bill, not feelings. Legally the OP has done nothing wrong. If the bill was actually in the OP's name then fair enough, but it's not. I wouldn't sign up to pay a large bill out of my account in my name only on the promises of people I went to uni with and barely knew, especially if I had no actual money to begin with and was at the bottom of an overdraft. Would you really?
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gigglebar)
    I had a legit reason for not paying on time - i physically couldnt. i have offered to split the cost of the fee but he wont have any of it. he has made me pay his fees previously when it was not my fault and i was nice enough to pay for him to get out of debt, im not doing it all the time just so he can use all the money to go out and get pissed.
    It is not his fault your account was frozen. You made a commitment and didn't stick to it. The fault is yours.

/

ReputationRep:
    Guys this is the best solution.

https://www.splitthebills.co.uk/

They charge 1.50 a week per student on top of the bills and each student is billed individually

ReputationRep:
    What about the friend's responsibility about being so financially irresponsible to sign up to pay a bill in their name alone, on promises made by people he barely knows, on a bank account that has nearly maxed its overdraft?

The real world cares about facts and who's on the bill, not feelings. Legally the OP has done nothing wrong. If the bill was actually in the OP's name then fair enough, but it's not. I wouldn't sign up to pay a large bill out of my account in my name only on the promises of people I went to uni with and barely knew, especially if I had no actual money to begin with and was at the bottom of an overdraft. Would you really?
    Yes, because legality trumps morality every time, doesn't it Not at all saying I'd be the one to volunteer to do what the guy has done because I'm a lot more financially savvy than that, but if I was in the same situation the OP is in... well, I have a sense of responsibility and decency, plus even if there was an arrangement put in place then that'd mean that OP would then be liable for a fee. So to take advantage of the other guy's kindness simply because legality allows it, is a s***ty thing to do IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because legality trumps morality every time, doesn't it Not at all saying I'd be the one to volunteer to do what the guy has done, but if I was in the same situation the OP is in... well, I have a sense of responsibility and decency, plus even if there was an arrangement put in place then that'd mean that OP would then be liable for a fee. So to take advantage of the other guy's kindness simply because legality allows it, is a s***ty thing to do IMO.
    Would you put a large bill in your name on a bank account that has none of your own money in, at the end of what the bank is willing to lend you, because someone you go to uni with who you don't really know anything about has promised you X amount? You're an idiot if you say yes.

The OP can't be chased by the money by a bank, debt collector, etc, it's not in their name. The OP didn't ask the bank to freeze their account, it just happened. If the weather forecast says it's going to blazing hot and sunny all day and then it rains completely unexpectedly, is it your fault you get wet in your t-shirt?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.