Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would say it is your responsibility to pay his bank fee. You paid your share of the bill late, as a result this lead to him going into his unplanned overdraft. If you had paid your share on time there wouldn't be a problem. Yes your bank account may have been getting investigated for fraud etc but YOU should've took the initiative and found an alternative e.g. call the landlord and ask for a 1 day extension on rent. I would therefore say you are liable for fee, as it is your fault he was charged. It doesn't matter he didn't have enough money to cover his and your rent in his bank, he is only responsible for his OWN share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Would you put a large bill in your name on a bank account that has none of your own money in, at the end of what the bank is willing to lend you, because someone you go to uni with has promised you X amount? You'd be an idiot if you said yes.

The OP can't be chased by the money by a bank, debt collector, etc, it's not in their name. The OP didn't ask the bank to freeze their account, it just happened. If the weather forecast says it's going to blazing hot and sunny all day and then it rains completely unexpectedly, is it your fault you get wet in your t-shirt?
    With split the bills they chase the individual students which is why I love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    he is only responsible for his OWN share.
    Why is he not responsible for looking into a splitting scheme, or signing up to a large bill with people he barely knows in his name only when he has basically no money, or not asking the company/landlord for an extension as it's in his name? How can the OP ask anyone for an extension when nobody will know who they are and that they even exist because their name is nowhere on any bill and their account is not tied to the bill?

If you sign up for a big financial commitment on other people's promises it's your responsibility legally to maintain the payments. Legally you are paying the bill, anybody else who may or may not happen to be nice enough to contribute towards it by putting money into your account without having anything to do with that company is your own problem.

ReputationRep:
    Would you put a large bill in your name on a bank account that has none of your own money in, at the end of what the bank is willing to lend you, because someone you go to uni with who you don't really know anything about has promised you X amount? You're an idiot if you say yes.

The OP can't be chased by the money by a bank, debt collector, etc, it's not in their name. The OP didn't ask the bank to freeze their account, it just happened. If the weather forecast says it's going to blazing hot and sunny all day and then it rains completely unexpectedly, is it your fault you get wet in your t-shirt?
    If you re-read my previous post, you'll get your answers to these questions. I could literally copy-paste my last post and it'd be totally relevant to this one :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    If you re-read my previous post, you'll get your answers to these questions. I could literally copy-paste my last post and it'd be totally relevant to this one :lol:
    As could I. People suck. The OP legally owes nothing and nobody in any professional or legal capacity can or will help the friend. Don't trust people you don't know with your money. The end.

ReputationRep:
    As could I. People suck. The OP legally owes nothing and nobody in any professional or legal capacity can or will help the friend. Don't trust people you don't know with your money. The end.
    Legally, no, you're right, I always acknowledged that. Automatically putting legality over morality because it benefits you, though, makes you a scumbag IMO. The sort of person who uses the law to gain a financial advantage, even though it means f***ing someone over in the process.

ReputationRep:
    Legally, no, you're right, I always acknowledged that. Automatically putting legality over morality because it benefits you, though, makes you a scumbag IMO. The sort of person who uses the law to gain a financial advantage, even though it means f***ing someone over in the process.
    Don't put large bills in your name on the promises of strangers (especially those who are students with very little money to begin with) and don't get screwed over. Isn't that common sense? I wouldn't turn up at the airport because somebody I don't really know promised me a ticket to Spain.

ReputationRep:
    Don't put large bills in your name on the promises of strangers (especially those who are students with very little money to begin with) and don't get screwed over. Isn't that common sense? I wouldn't turn up at the airport because somebody I don't really know promised me a ticket to Spain.
    You're totally missing the point I'm making. I'll make this clear - I'm in no way saying that the guy who holds the account has made a good financial decision, in fact his decision was ****ing stupid and not one I'd have made myself in a million years. However, to take advantage of that fact and letting him foot your fees just because you're all good in the eyes of the law, makes you a scumbag and a f***ing ponce.

ReputationRep:
    You're totally missing the point I'm making. I'll make this clear - I'm in no way saying that the guy who holds the account has made a good financial decision, in fact his decision was ****ing stupid and not one I'd have made myself in a million years. However, to take advantage of that fact and letting him foot your fees just because you're all good in the eyes of the law, makes you a scumbag and a f***ing ponce.
    Not at all a friend of mine did it to someone for a whole year so she could get pissed instead they guy had to get a 2nd job (this was the internet bill but it was 120 a month)
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Not at all a friend of mine did it to someone for a whole year so she could get pissed instead they guy had to get a 2nd job (this was the internet bill but it was 120 a month)
    So yeah, she's a scumbag ponce and he's a f***ing mug :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Why is he not responsible for looking into a splitting scheme, or signing up to a large bill with people he barely knows in his name only when he has basically no money, or not asking the company/landlord for an extension as it's in his name? How can the OP ask anyone for an extension when nobody will know who they are and that they even exist because their name is nowhere on any bill and their account is not tied to the bill?

If you sign up for a big financial commitment on other people's promises it's your responsibility legally to maintain the payments. Legally you are paying the bill, anybody else who may or may not happen to be nice enough to contribute towards it by putting money into your account without having anything to do with that company is your own problem.
    Yes, there is a contract between the bill payer and the company but OP has made a commitment to pay his share of the bills to the bill payer as well. That may be enforceable in law.

You can't just not pay your bill because you made the agreement with an individual rather than a company.

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, she's a scumbag ponce and he's a f***ing mug :lol:
    She saved a grand and still used the internet. Oh and she pretended to be vegan so she could steal his chicken and then came and Cooked at mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    She saved a grand and still used the internet. Oh and she pretended to be vegan so she could steal his chicken and then came and Cooked at mine.
    F***ing master criminal :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    F***ing master criminal :rofl:
    No she just hated the guy and used him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    Yes, there is a contract between the bill payer and the company but OP has made a commitment to pay his share of the bills to the bill payer as well. That may be enforceable in law.
    How and on whose word? Unless it's written someone where how will the friend prove it? If I pay a company £300 and then run to law enforcement and say that you personally promised to pay half then didn't, with no written proof, I'll get laughed out of there. If I smash a window and say someone else smashed it with me who can't be proved to be there at all and there is zero evidence of that person being involved, can they be prosecuted? No, same principle. Anybody could claim for anything on your logic.

Yes, you can just not pay it and walk away. You won't be very popular with the individual, but you legally have nothing to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    Youre making the assumption i am not decent. I dont even know if my late payment legitimately put him in his overdraft because surely you shouldnt have a fee from going into your overdraft unless you have been in there for over a week and not paid it back. So for all I know, he is just wanting me to pay off his overdraft which i have stupidly done before.
    Just because he goes out getting pissed almost every night and wastes the money so he does not have enough money to pay for a bill he put his name on. I told him in advance I wouldnt be able to make the payment and now he is springing this fee on me. sounds fishy to me.
    Yes, because legality trumps morality every time, doesn't it Not at all saying I'd be the one to volunteer to do what the guy has done because I'm a lot more financially savvy than that, but if I was in the same situation the OP is in... well, I have a sense of responsibility and decency, plus even if there was an arrangement put in place then that'd mean that OP would then be liable for a fee. So to take advantage of the other guy's kindness simply because legality allows it, is a s***ty thing to do IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know where all this rent stuff is coming from. i missed an £14 broadband payment. not like a £200 rent payment
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    I would say it is your responsibility to pay his bank fee. You paid your share of the bill late, as a result this lead to him going into his unplanned overdraft. If you had paid your share on time there wouldn't be a problem. Yes your bank account may have been getting investigated for fraud etc but YOU should've took the initiative and found an alternative e.g. call the landlord and ask for a 1 day extension on rent. I would therefore say you are liable for fee, as it is your fault he was charged. It doesn't matter he didn't have enough money to cover his and your rent in his bank, he is only responsible for his OWN share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gigglebar)
    Youre making the assumption i am not decent. I dont even know if my late payment legitimately put him in his overdraft because surely you shouldnt have a fee from going into your overdraft unless you have been in there for over a week and not paid it back. So for all I know, he is just wanting me to pay off his overdraft which i have stupidly done before.
    Just because he goes out getting pissed almost every night and wastes the money so he does not have enough money to pay for a bill he put his name on. I told him in advance I wouldnt be able to make the payment and now he is springing this fee on me. sounds fishy to me.
    Most students get a 0% overdraft of £1500 ish.

Personally I get more but that's because I have a 5/5 credit rating
    • Very Important Poster

He has nothing, the bill is in his name, not yours. A legal viewpoint would be that he has legally signed up to pay all of it, from only his account, and you are being nice enough to help him with it.
    Except theres an understanding that he does so with the intention of everyone else paying their share. Nothing nice about it, They are obligated to pay.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.