Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think the fair thing would be to split the fee. It's your bank account which has caused the problem (by being frozen) but, and this is on the assumption you told him the money would be late, it wasn't your negligence it was just unfortunate circumstances. He does have some responsibility himself to ensure that he has adequate funds in his account for things like this. It's really not uncommon for people to be a bit late paying stuff and while I'm not saying it's okay, had he thought about it someone else could have transferred him a bit of cash until you could pay them back.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Whilst he is a bit stupid for running such a low account, if the actual reason the charge was incurred was due to the late payment then thats down to the late payer. He would have to prove it though.

£14 sounds about right if it includeds line rental. It could include other stuff as well such as TV.
    I'll just repeat the bit that applies regardless of quantity:

legally it's his responsibility and he's stupid for making it so, but morally it was your late payment that caused the issue.
    As for the £14 being expensive - when I was looking recently (for my area) most, if not all broadband packages were £20-30 ish. If OP is splitting the bill with housemates I would've thought it'd go down to £5/£10 each :dontknow:
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Andy98)
    I'll just repeat the bit that applies regardless of quantity:

As for the £14 being expensive - when I was looking recently (for my area) most, if not all broadband packages were £20-30 ish. If OP is splitting the bill with housemates I would've thought it'd go down to £5/£10 each :dontknow:
    1. Responsibility to pay the bill his. That is between him and the BB company. Nobody said anything different.
    2. Legal obligation to pay for the charge is hers if t was agreed she paid by a certain date and she missed that date. It isnt just moral. Notwithstanding need to prove, it being a small amount and morally he put himself in such a vulnerable position.

It isnt clear what the broadband was for i.e what bandwidth, what period, what was included in the package. It could be per quarter, have line rental and additional TV.

£30 a month= £90 a quarter split six ways = £15.

It would be obvious from the bill and the OP isnt disputing it, nor have any queries been mentioned by other housemates. You would have to compare like with like. A biew of the bill would probide a simple explanation.

ReputationRep:
    Before even considering paying him anything, you should get hard proof that the late payment of £14 is exclusively the cause of the late/overdraft fees.

e.g. you'll need to see an original copy of his bank statement, asking him to account for income and expenditure and explaining how the balance was managed on a day-to-day basis.

That's what he'll have to produce if this were ever to go to court.... which it never would.

T3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.