Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do i help my best friend fight depression? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How do I help her ?She often is sad , reluctant and moody I want to help her but sometimes it irritates me and I try to think of it from her point of view but i still dont know i can do to help her .Her depression is becoming more and more serious and I want to help her because I love her so much and I dont want anything bad hapening to her.

ReputationRep:
    Has she spoken to you about it a lot?

What do you assume is her point of view? Could you guess as to what the root cause of her depression might be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Condie.)
    How do I help her ?She often is sad , reluctant and moody I want to help her but sometimes it irritates me and I try to think of it from her point of view but i still dont know i can do to help her .Her depression is becoming more and more serious and I want to help her beecause I love her so much and I dont want anything bad hapoening to her.
    You are a great friend, honestly It's a lovely thing to support someone through depression, and I can see it irritates you a lot when she's moody. When this happens, remind yourself - she isn't like this when she isn't depressed. Depression causes people to act in these ways, and it isn't personal to you - remember it's an illness.

There are lots of guides of how to use empathy in active listening, here's some links that might be helpful:
    https://www.childline.org.uk/info-ad...elping-friend/
    https://www.papyrus-uk.org/help-advi...-to-help-alert
    http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s.../#.WHaj31xr5hk

More importantly, remember you are not responsible for her and that you should not feel guilty if you are unable to help her. You are neither equipped or trained to deal with mental illness - and in times where it feels like you're trying your best, remember that 10% is better than 0%. A quote I like to think of is that while you can't fix anything, you're there to hold their hand through the rain. Because even if you try to give them an umbrella, the storm can be strong and it can fly away. That demonstrates true empathy and kindess to her, you're there for her no matter what.

Does she have any help? Are her parents aware? Does she have support? If she doesn't, consider reaching out or telling someone about what's going on. As you love her and care about her so much, it's important to think that you care more about her health than your relationship with her. You'd rather make sure she has help than her not getting help, leading to a worsened state. If she gets mad at you - remember again, it's her depression, not her. Depression is treated in the most effective way if it is tackled as early as possible

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.